Death of the Optical drive ??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by FuNsTeR, Jan 3, 2019.

1. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

looking at all the new towers of late noticed gone are the slots and bays for optical drives ie Blu ray player drives and CD writers can't live without either on my PC ... i'm looking to upgrade within the next couple of months ... might just have to keep my old Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series™ 600T case .... originally i was thinking about buying a new laptop instead low and behold the optical drive is no longer a feature on laptops either .... it's like optical drives have been consigned to the rubbish bin like 3.5 inch floppy drives

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Still using my old 16 year old Beige tower with 2 slots for Optical (Bluray and Dvd drive) and it still has a space for a floppy drive, I just keep updating the inside

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    FuNsTeR, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The optical drive died in the early 2000s. Then it died in the early 2010s. Now it is dying again.
    The sad thing is there are people, regular users, who want the optical drive to die. I won't go into why, too late and I am tired.
    It is harder to find a case that has the right slots, but not impossible.
    If you fail, you can always get external drives.

As long as I have thousands of optical discs, and I keep buying my music and movies and (older only unfortunately) PC games on optical discs, I will continue to have optical drives.
    The optical drive is dead, long live the optical drive.

Calliers and FuNsTeR like this.
  4. Trusteft

Calliers and FuNsTeR like this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I haven't been installing optical drives in cases for quite some time.... Even machines i build 10 years ago have gone completely unused their entire lifespan. Some people i've sold systems to don't even know what it was and some didn't even know it was there.

With the vast majority of content being online based, it's rather pointless for a good majority of people. USB flash drives for passing data around/backups and internet for alternative means. Shit you can't even get modern software or a good chunk of games at all on disk.. and even if your order a disk even for the playstation or xbox.... including pc obviously, games and software aren't actually on the disk, it basically is a sub 300kb shortcut to steam or whichever launcher/digital distribution system. Fallout 76 for example isn't even a disk, it's a cardboard cutout that looks similar to a disk... all you do is punch in the code.

FuNsTeR and Calliers like this.
  6. Trusteft

True, but to be fair if you purchase Fallout 76 now, you are an idiot.

FuNsTeR likes this.
  7. Judas

that's just the latest game i know of that made a mockery of a physical package...

They've been doing something akin to just the shortcut to the digital download on console/pc for the last.... gaud damn a long time... i'd say much of it started around 2010 even on ps3/xbox 360 still near the end of their life.

8. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

i have loads of Blu rays and normal DVD films i like playing on my PC and my previous laptop had a blu ray drive as well ... that is why i have never bought a tablet ... my PC is basically used as a multi media platform ... dvds, TV, Music, gaming etc and Trusteft thanks for the link buddy :cool:

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Judas

i despise playing blurays on pc..... after dealing with the drm bullshit... the only way i bother is via a drm remover.. but i haven't bothered for years, i ended up just sticking them in my ps4

my optical drive rarely gets utilized... i started making ISOs of any games of old i had that weren't available via a digital method... so i can mount them (windows 10 feature that's super handy and works very well without bullshit even for copy protected discs)...

FuNsTeR likes this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I can't remember the last time I used a disc, and I have stopped buying blu rays.

Mr Cairo and FuNsTeR like this.
  11. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Bluray is my downfall I still tend to buy a lot of them

FuNsTeR and Trusteft like this.
  12. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I still buy CDs and Blu-ray, and the missus has a prodigious cheap cheap dvd habit
    but with things like Stadia we are definitely edging closer still to total death of optical media

FuNsTeR likes this.
  13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I almost never use an optical drive, but I'd still rather have one than not. They are cheap as chips and it's such a stupid situation when you do need one and don't have it around.

Calliers, FuNsTeR and Trusteft like this.
  14. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Dude wake up, in the department of music and television there are already tonnes of great streaming options.

15. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I have amazon
    I have Netflix
    but I still like to own an actual physical thing when there’s something I really love :)

16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I was among the earliest users to get a CD drive for PC. I paid around $400 USD for that sucker! And, with the full intention of being able to play the first PC game distributed on CD: Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive.
    Fortunately, Access Software had enough foresight to also include the game on floppy disks....because the installation from CD still wasn't a given...and, in my case, I had to use the floppies.
    Today, I have thousands of copies of files, photos, game videos, etc., etc. on CD/DVDs around my office here. And, since I've suffered the failed HDDs and corrupted Flash Drives, I'm grateful I have these disks. Those I burned ages ago are still accessible today.

I do realize that the demise of the optical drive is in the process. But, I do still make use of them.