delete data permanently..HELP???

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by deborahking, Jul 12, 2010.

1. deborahking

deborahking New Member

hey m gonna sell my old PC along with hard disk, it contains lot of important n sensitive data so after backup
    i want to delete it permanently so that it can never be recovered
    what to do is there any tool to do such??
    help!!!

2. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

You want a low-level formatter like this: HDDGURU: HDD Low Level Format Tool

But that's a windows tool, so you won't be able to run it on the active drive, if you have the option attach it to a second pc and format it from that one then put it back in the pc, or find a bootable formatter. I don't think the usual windows CD ones are upto scratch.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Killdisk may be an option for you...And it does support a Low Level Format..

It has always worked for me...But you do need a Floppy Disk Drive to use it.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

5. shaman9876

shaman9876 New Member

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Killdisk is straightforward enough and trusted, but if you would want an option that requires no special software there is one built into later versions of Windows. Connect the drive to another computer running Vista or 7, then format the drive so that there are no files left on it, a quick format is enough for this purpose but full won't hurt. Then run this line in a command prompt:
    CIPHER /W:X:
    Where X should correspond to the volume letter of the drive, maybe it's ending up being called E or something. The command then walks over the empty areas of a drive three times with different data patterns, which is plenty. This can also be run on any drive with data as it only covers the empty areas, but this wiping routine does not cover the tiny bits of empty space that resides at the end of files on a harddrive. Making it not entirely secure unless used on empty drives.

7. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Here's my favorite bootable low level formating program, its called Eraser and is very easy to use as well:-

Eraser

I thought I would add it just to cataloge all these in one thread.

8. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

There is also the Wipe Free Space function in CCleaner which you can set from 1 to 35 passes, good for cleaning USB flash disks, memory cards etc.