Deleting Recovery Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by IvanV, Oct 3, 2019.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Hi there. I have an old work laptop, ASUS Zenbook UX302L, which is mostly still a very nice machine for my needs, but it has two limitations which I've been bumping against more and more recently. One is RAM and the other is storage. RAM I've mostly sorted (upgraded it to 12GB, which should be enough for the workload) and the storage it sould be easy and cheap enough to upgrade as well (it's a standard 2.5" SATA III SSD), but for starters I thought I'd get rid of the recovery partition.

That should be a fairly straightforward procedure - create a recovery disk (just in case) and delete the partition (following these instructions). What has me confused is the fact that I have 3 of those:

Partitions.PNG

Can I delete all of them? Is Windows still unable to extend its partitions to unallocated space if the free space is in front of the partition being extended (I know that 3rd party solutions can take care of that and that they work well, but I'd stick to the built-in utilities if I can)?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

only delete the latter recover partition, the 3 former ones would be pointless and unwise as those are standard UEFI partitions and specially the 100mb one, if you delete it, it almost always leads to bricking the os requiring a complete reinstall.

If you wish to extend and make one large partition on the drive however.. you could/should be able to delete the last 2 recovery partitions along with the D drive and then select the C drive and extend it to the maximum size of the remaining drive.

IvanV likes this.
  3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Thanks! I know I shouldn't touch the 100MB one as it says EFI system, but I was unsure about the 900MB and 350MB drives. I'll probably delete just the last 20 gigs and add those to the D: drive for now.