Dell Inspiron 1420 - Updated to Windows 10 x64 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

This has mainly been an experiment as the laptop was given to me two or three years ago.

Originally, I had problems with the audio after updating to W-10. That was remedied by "force" installing a Sigmatel audio driver. And, THAT worked until Microsoft decided to "force" install a Microsoft driver. Which, I had to RE-force the Sigmatel again to get audio back. Prior to some recent Windows Updates, I could DISABLE any Driver Updates. Now, it seems, any setting that would work is hidden within the Registry. (OR, if anyone can point to a better solution, I'm eager to see it.)

But, after the most recent Cumulative Update, something weird was going on. The main screen was blacking out after only a few seconds. It could have been anywhere around 10-20 seconds. And, it would do this even if I went into BIOS Settings to see if there was a problem there.

So, I hooked up an external display and that display worked flawlessly. However, anytime I would make any display changes, e.g. via the Display app, to change, say, resolution, the MAIN Screen would flash on and off.

I was pretty much about to reside myself that this old laptop was about to become a paperweight. UNTIL....

After sitting a couple of days, I started it up again and, for several hours it has performed without going blank again. (By this time, I had disconnected the external display.)

Whether anyone has any idea as to what was going on or not, it's not that important. I'm sure I'm going to get a newer laptop sometime in the near future as this one is quite old. But, at any rate, feel free to comment if there are any questions or suggestions as to what gremlin had possessed this unit ... at least for a brief period of time. :)

BTW, it originally came installed with Vista. ;)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Can you not upgrade it to Windows 8.1 or 7?

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

As it stands now, the Dell laptop won't produce a screen except for a very, split-second BIOS screen at first start. It won't even produce a screen connected to an external monitor. I do know that, at one point, when I could get into the BIOS at all, that, for some reason the refresh rate had been set to 75 Hz....which I never did that! Once I was able to change it back to 60 Hz, I got the display working again. But, this time around it won't stay lit long enough to even get into the BIOS.

As I had stated above, I had been considering getting a newer laptop. It kind of came to the point of needing to go ahead with that plan as I was leaving the next day for vacation and had no time whatsoever to trouble-shoot the Dell and definitely didn't want to have to deal with it on vacation. So, I got a Refurb HP ProBook....which worked as well as what I needed to have on my trip.

It has an Intel i5-4300M CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and runs on a 64-bit OS. Display is 1366x768 max. And, has a DVD-RW drive.

Since it will be used mostly when I'm on the road, I named it, Traveler. :)

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

sigmatel audio.... needs to burn to the ground...

dell has a habit of using audio devices prone to fucking up repeatedly or making it murderously impossible to get functional even with a move from windows vista to 7 or whatever.

But they aren't nearly as bad as HP.. i've actually sourced dell drivers to get hp products working... at least you don't have to completely disable one's security and run unsigned drivers from HP due to them using an outdated signature (even for newer laptops). I'd really like to know how the hell that works.