Dell Inspiron Laptop using Windows 7 x86 Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

FAILS to update with Windows 7 SP1 and one of the latest Security Patches.

I've cleared the Policies in the Registry per an article on MSDN and also have run the Microsoft FixIt app that is suggested when updates fail.

I've uninstalled several suspect apps and programs on the system as well as running scans of the system with both Virus Protection and MalWareBytes. They find nothing suspicious.

But, the system continues to fail these updates.

Suggestions?

This is not any of my systems. It's my step-dad's.

2. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Dyre, did you ever get this working right?

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Didn't even notice this thread. What is the error number? It'll likely be in the Event Viewer if it's not displayed.

4. Dyre Straits

No, the best I could do under the circumstances was to make sure he has no malware and/or viruses on the system. He mostly just does Flash Jigsaw Puzzles and accesses email and Facebook.

I will have to make a note of the error number the next time I'm over there. As I mentioned, I've gone through a few of the standard procedures for correcting this problem and nothing, so far, works.

After the Updates are downloaded, when I go to shutdown the system, there is that Icon on the shutdown option that indicates it's going to do updates during the shutdown process. AND, it even goes through all the indications that the updates are being installed....Do Not Turn Off the Computer....etc. But, after it goes through this, the notice is that the updates Failed!

If I attempt to do the updates again, it just repeats this.

5. Dyre Straits

I was able to get the Error Codes this evening and will have to follow-up on the suggested solutions during another trip over there.

For the record, the codes are:

3701 [Unknown Error]

8024200D