Democrats Pushing the Draft Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Alistair, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

Most of the following is from a Conservative Alerts E-mail I received today.

Thats right, the democrats, NOT Republicans are making a push for a vote on bringing back the draft TODAY.

I suppose Kerry would have to fill these two NEW divisions in the army somehow...

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

It's true and the funny thing is the democrats, john Kerry and his campaign was using it against bush! Seems the draft he rumored was coming from his side of the fence. Definitely comes back to bite him on the arse.

Odd that kerry blamed bush for his own parties doings:dead:

3. lenchmob

lenchmob New Member

Charlie Rangle (D) New York and Hollings are behind the effort to push the draft bill..

4. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

thats too much... hahaha that takes a load off of Bush's shoulders

5. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

The Senate and House both referred the bill back to their Committess on the Armed Forces for review and recommendations.

LMAO shoulda checked the date on the report... last year... anyways they finally got around to posting today's results.... it was massively defeated in today's vote with a whole 2 votes for it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  6. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

cool thx

8. Vampyromaniac

9. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

humm. u don't want a draft. i do. i'm in the service anyway. doesn't concern me at all.make u understand Bush's stop lose. when u want to retire or get out u can't. so i hope u all get drafted and sent to work for ur country.

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

SAD THING IS 51% OF AMERICANS POLLED 18-29 BELIVE THE THERE WILL BE A DRAFT, AND THAT THE PRESIDEAN SUPPORTS ONE.... 29% BELIVE KERRY WOULD CALL UP A DRAFT....:rolleyes: ONE MAGOR SOUSRE OF THE RUMOR JOHN FORBES KERRY, AND THE DEMOCRATS THAT DREW UP THAT BILL

DESPITE WHATS BEEN SAID... DESPITE THE FACT IT TAKES AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO DO SO.... HOW CLUESS THOSE 51% MUST BE

OOOPS! caps lock sorry :uhoh:

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Ya know, a compulsary draft could be a good thing.

Make it compulsary, starting in the year folllowing HS Graduation, or 18th birthday for dropouts.

Make no exemptions except for serious physical conditions.

Everyone goes thru a military style basic training similar to what we have now except for weapons training. This would satisfy the objections of the 'consciense objectors'.

At the end of basic training, you would have the choice of either civilian or military service. Those selecting military service would then continue in basic for further training that the military needs, while those selecting civilian service would start a short term (2 years?) of some sort of government service.

Each service would have the option at the end of the term to 're-up' if they so desired.

Something like that just could be workable.

12. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

Yes, it would be completely workable...but I dont see the point. I would not mind supporting my country in a time of need, I will fight for what I believe in...But I believe that I would be a greater asset on the homefront, as my family plays a large part in the local economy. If I'm am basically decided im not doing military service, why make me waste a year after HS?

13. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

As libertarian as I lean, there's a part of me that makes me want to say that this would help society out immensely. Put some damned discipline into kids...

14. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

sounds like yall wanna put us all through marching band for 2 years :lol:

no...a draft is a bad idea...i personally am against damn enar everythign the US military does at the moment, and refuse to be affiliated with them in any way shape or form...so i am whole heartedly against any form of a draft

15. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

Would you be OK with compulsory service in the peace corps?

16. Vampyromaniac

Tosh, didn't you just say "what happened to land of the free" a couple days ago? :eek:

17. Stryder7

Stryder7 New Member

Where are all the patriots ?

I am in the military. Have been serving in the military for 18 years. I have been in the military in one way or another my entire life. I was born in a military hospital. Have moved all over the globe while my father served, had a 4 year break between his retirement and my enlistment.

I have 2 brothers in the service, 6 cousins serving, and my son was considering enlisting. I told him to wait. I am getting out just as soon as I can. More on that later.

I "heard" that the people back home supported this war in Iraq. I "heard" that the people back here supported the troops. There was a majority of people back here, that supported this war, say that they support the troops, but it looks as though it was nothing more than "TALK".

See, it is really simple from a soldiers perspective.

If you thought this country was in danger, a REAL patriot would defend this country. If you thought that this war really needed to be fought, a patriot would fight it.

And even more so, if you supported the troops, you would give them what they REALLY need. Some relief. Somebody to pick up a weapon, and relieve some of the men and women that have been standing a post now, for way too long.

But as it turns out, some of you that SAY you support this war, that you think this country was in danger and in need of defending, and that you support the troops, but are long on words and rhetoric, but way short on guts, patriotism, or beliefs.

Tell you what. I was going to try to be more tactical about this, but I am just going to say it flat out.

If you support this war, and this president, go down to a recruiting station tommorow, and enlist. If you are too old, or physically disabled, then try to persude your your sons, daughters, nephews and nieces. Convice your relatives that this is a war that needs to be fought, and that as patriots, they should fight it.

For all of those of you that run your mouths, but are too much of a coward to fight this war, I say you are cowards and traitors to your country. You dont deserve to call yourself an American.

I am getting out of the service as soon as I can. And I am telling my sons, and everybody else in my family or that I care about, that they should NOT serve. For one very simple reason. I will not EVER again stick my neck out for a nation of cowards. I will not put my butt on the line for a bunch of punks, that TALK bigtime $hit, and will not serve.

I could say a few things about our fearless leader, but will restrain myself for fear of what could happen to me for insubordination. But I will say this.

For all of the bitching a griping that was done about what a bad EXAMPLE Bill Clinton was for our nations youth, it pales by comparrison to some of the people that our kids have as role models today.

What a bunch of cowards. Oh, and BTW, I am by no means a lone horse as far as this opinion goes. A big chunk of my brothers and sisters in arms feel the same exact way. And you people love to talk about how Kerry is demoralizing the troops. It is a bunch of punk-a$$ed cowards back here in the states that has let us soldiers know just how much support we are getting from so called patriots here at home.

Go Cheney yourselves.

Now that moderators can delete this if they like, but it is said. But I guess that if they do, it will show how close I hit home with them too.

18. ChickenofBristo

ChickenofBristo New Member

Just say no

The draft is was just a speaking point used by the Dems. They just wanted to point out the fact that there aer more blacks in the military than whites based on the population ratio. So they wanted to bring up the speaking point of bringing back the draft to even out the ratio of blacks to whites. No one in their right mind expected a draft to be reinstated, but it was a way to show how there is "racism" in the military. Fortunately, we have a volunteer military and they are all there by choice, black, white, or whatever. Someone got the brilliant idea to start a rumor that Bush wanted to bring back the draft. This was an attempt to scare a bunch of people into voting for Kerry. For the most part, the mainstream media ignored this. They could have called the bluff, but what's the fun in that? The Republicans called the Dems bluff however and forced a vote. The Dem who started the bill even voted against it.

Anyone who believes in bringing in mandatory service is not looking at all sides of the issue. We would have an estimated 25 million people in the military at any one time. Who would pay for this? We have succeeded with an all volunteer military so far and there is no reason to change that. For all the talk about miliatry forces being depleted we are actually very far from that reality.

19. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Yeah. Man the military was just downsized around the year 1993- 1994. There's not gonna be a draft. Well, not unless something very terrible happens.

20. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

As far as there being more minorities in the military, I believe that is best explained by the fact that many of them want a better life for themselves and their families. They don't want to sit around collecting welfare and bitching like the democrats would like for them to do. These men and women are taking matters into their own hands and getting out of the slums and ghettos of the cities. Addin the fact that their GI bill can be used on children (or so a local recruiter told me) they can get their children even further ahead, or use that money to further themselves even more. I have a deep running respect for those who join for the reasons I mentioned and I had the pleasure of meeting a few during my short tenure with the Army.