Destiny 2 Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Calliers, Aug 29, 2017.

1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

well I've finally managed to download this (48hrs on my sh*t connection) and have played maybe 10 hours? Good fun.

Game seems really well optimised, handles 2560x1080 on High with a few other things turned on/up with my GTX 960.

Took a bit of an effort, but got the Steam controller working with it nicely too.

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I take it you're playing on PC then? Nice.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Light 287...
    Destiny 2 287-a.jpg
    Destiny 2 287-b.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

So i just bought the game and it's taken about 8 days to download it... it finished earlier today while i was working... so in the next hour give or take, i'll be finally firing it up for the first time and it'll be the first time i actually play destiny (i only got to see a bit of the first game.... and by bit, only the intro)

Calliers likes this.
  5. Judas

i can't always put my finger on it... but after playing it for 2 hours.... i think i know why i despise a lot of the newer games.... a sense of direction is lost while at the same time feeling corralled still, it's a hypocritical kind of conflicting feeling.... as they seem intent on insisting that you focus on the objective yet feeling like there should be more around you to look at and actually explore, however in doing so, and even carefully, you can find yourself walking into a 5 second "get the fuck back to the mission" warning or into areas that look like they might lead to a secret that most might have overlooked, only to give you absolutely nothing... not a damn thing, not even ammo or whatever. So here's the other dilemma in that situation, and there are bunch of games, hell even Mass effect is guilty of it but arguably, ME4 is by far the worst... because they give you an objective, but at least in ME series, going and exploring places usually means goodies. However the problem is, that if they never seem to give you anything, or at least HAD me never really provided any kind of reason to go exploring due to the lack of there being anything pretty much ever, specially at the start of a game, what would drive a player to bother later down the road? Thus you run into the most common failings i see in modern gaming and a lot of modern "gamers" that only ever have a one track mind, face forward, and plow through in one direction, as quickly as possible, with absalutely no regard for anything else at all, period, to complete the game. If this is the most common thing, then it makes sense for a company with a lack of interest in making a game outside of making money exclusively (which is the current state of the majority of games), means that there is less thought put into the things on the side and we are all lesser for it. I'm not saying i should expect some kind of reward for exploring every detail all the time... but for all the advancements in technology and game engines and what can be done, it really doesn't feel like we've taken a step forward, it just feels like the games are smaller, less of it.

In 2 hours, i managed to start the game... and progress up to recovering the light, that's it... level 2... and of course, once the light is recovered, you get zipped back to the refugee camp at which point all the other players of the game show up. This is about the time i decided i felt more compelled to exit the game and reflect on it. It just feels like it's trying to hard... the story is interesting don't get me wrong.. but it's also quite broken, i suspect because i never played destiny 1 so i figured i'd give it a free pass.. HOWEVER there is one thing that is driving me nuts, and that's part of the gameplay storyline where it's suggested that i saw a vision.... i however don't have a clue WTF they are talking about... a vision to go see the shard or something to get the light? What are they on about, nothing of the sort happened.... one minute i'm dragging my sorry ass through the ruins..... then through the mountains and eventually end up at the refugee camp where the ghost says "oh hai look, the shard, from the vision".... and i can't help but kind of go "what vision... what is being referenced here, and why is that over there significant?"

I don't know, maybe there was a cutscene that somehow was missed perhaps... can anyone comment on that? I know for a fact i didn't skip any cutscenes, not by my own power at least.

I'd also like to make a point of calling out a wee bit of a flaw in the gameplay story combo... during the initial run through of the attack, there is a part in which another guardian is defending a door entrance and these big meteor balls smash into the ground and release a bunch of baddies... at one point during the sequence, the guardian yells something about getting inside his protective shield, which i prompt attempt to do only to get completely wrecked.... had i not attempted to "get to safety"... i would have easily survived which brings me to another example of where they are giving the player a false sense of freedom with zero consideration of it, while EXPECTING the player to reside inside a designated space for all cases. There's very little control and it's extremely difficult to feel remotely immersed in such a game when these kind of situations throughout the game clearly lacked the ability to consider it. Much like putting up invisible barriers and throwing a warning in your face when it seems pretty clear that you could continue on in a direction due to the landscape not really giving you any indication otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

Yeah I hear you @Judas about the part where the meteors are smashing into the ground with drop ships and all. Even I didn't know I was supposed to go on, and only realized this when I saw another player that was also playing go on, apparently that part was global and guardians could share in other guardians gameplay.

Also, although Destiny 2 seems to be better when it comes to the aspect of storytelling, you should know that Destiny historically is known for its pretty bad story telling with one NPC in Destiny saying something like "I don't have time to explain, in fact, I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain", I mean, wtf lol?

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The vision, it's the cutscene that plays when you fall while chasing after the eagle. It's one of those cutscenes that, like me, you probably skipped it by accident while hitting a button, or key. I did that on the PS4 version, but didn't on the PC because I knew I missed it the first time around.

8. Judas

During the fall while chasing after the eagle? I never chased an eagle... it flew off and i slowly rounded the corners wasn't randomly pushing buttons or anything.

If you're talking about the trip shortly before getting to the refugee ships that take you to the camp..... i never really fell any distance there... I jumped to each individual platform and then the hawk woman walked up to me when i landed on the last platform which was a short jump.

One thing i will say... it's great playing the game at 4k with every setting cranked to max and averaging 85+fps with peaks into the 200fps range... quite surprised. It appears that crossfire is working beautifully.

The only time i see low fps is the cutscreens being locked at 30fps. This game plays like the smoothest butter... Suppose it helps having 4608 SPs with the 2x 580's in crossfire.

Calliers likes this.
  9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I seem to have plateaued at 265-268 power (depending on my equipped weapons) so I’m now focusing on the exotic weapon quests atm.

Might try a few raids/iron banner contests but I usually get kicked out towards the end due to net connection BS

10. Dyre Straits

Destiny 2 Titan-291.jpg

11. Dyre Straits

Strikes help as well as the Crucible.

But, one thing my son taught me during Destiny 1, be sure to have all your most powerful weapons and equipment active before decrypted any engrams. Even if you don't plan to use it in battle, just slot it active before doing the decryption.

12. Tipstaff

Bioware removed that.. quirk.. with D2.

quote by Mark Noseworthy:

"You no longer have to equip your best gear when decrypting. The game automatically determines what your best possible loadout is and uses that figure when dictating the Power of an Engram. As a result, you're essentially free to use whatever gear you want--you're no longer impacting the strength of your drops by using a lower-level piece of gear you prefer."

13. Dyre Straits

Thanks! But, don't you mean Bungie?

14. Tipstaff

err.. yeah... them guys... :oops:

15. Dyre Straits

I've been playing AC:Origins and felt I needed to at least start up Destiny 2 in order to pay a visit to Xur. :)

Destiny 2 292.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

I really haven't played Destiny 2 much, I'll probably get to playing it some day, but for now I don't think I'll be touching it in the foreseeable future.

17. Dyre Straits

Been awhile since I updated my progress.

I'm actually at 25/304 since my last session. And, man, do I LOVE this SHIP!

Titan-303-25.jpg ShipInSpace.jpg ShipOverEarth.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Berry nice.

19. Judas

so it's been a couple weeks since i dived back into destiny 2... and of course a massive update...

I don't know what they did to it.. but it's buggered up bad now. Horrible performance... crashes for no apparent reason suggesting that it can't read the game content, "run a scan and repair" (which once done, finds nothing out of place)...

I'm also sitting at the loading screen for anywhere from 5-10 or more minutes waiting watching as the ship flies... which is the polar opposite of the sub 5-10 seconds it was taking to load (watching as the shit flies up but already starts heading down before it makes it to the top, almost looks glitchy because of the insane load speeds prior)... I'm lucky if i see more than 30fps... and i've changed nothing on my machine which is beyond bizarre.

20. Calliers

Well, since you are a dedicated bushman, you can't complain.