Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (crashes and stuttering)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by IvanV, Dec 26, 2016.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I don't think we have a dedicated thread, so I thought I'd open one. I got the game on Steam and it seems to be a nice continuation of the Human Revolution story. :)

I've got W7 and W10 in dual boot and I thought I'd give the game a try under the newer OS for the sake of DX12 and simply to see if there is any difference in performance. Unfortunately, I bumped into some technical problems. I played through the "prologue" fine, but, upon getting to Prague, the game, or more precisely, the graphics driver, started to stutter and, after I got into the streets, to crash repeatedly (and too frequently to be playable).

I tried three Catalyst versions, 16.8.2, which was previously installed on the system, 16.12.2, the latest version, and 16.11.5, which I found to be generally recommended. They all behaved identically.

If I dropped back to DX11, the game would not crash, but the pauses (coinciding with HDD activity) persisted. This seems to be a known issue with resource streaming, but I haven't seen a solution.

Finally, getting back to Windows 7 (also 16.8.2 driver), I was able to play normally, with not one crash and no stutters (BTW, in game benchmark reports identical performance on the two OSes).

So, what's the deal with Windows 10? It's not a burning question (W7 runs the game fine and it's still my main OS anyway), but I'd like to know, especially since a switch to a later OS cannot be avoided forever. Specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-4790K@4.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    Gigabyte Z97P-D3
    SilverStone Strider 600W
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    screen resolution 1920x1080

BTW, the Windows 10 installation is almost completely clean. One thing that just occurred to me is that that means that Windows Defender is running, whereas W7 is running Avast Antivirus.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I'm really tempted to get this game! I've gotten the previous iterations all the way back to the original.

But, should I get the standalone now, or go for the full package?

3. IvanV

Well, there seems to be no shortage of contents in the basic version that I've got, but (and I've only noticed that now :( ) a ton of people on Steam, who are otherwise praising the game, say that the ending was so abrupt that they couldn't believe that that was it, and felt like the entire final act of the story was left out, with some presuming that it would be added as a DLC.

I'm not sure if the last post is true, though, it would be an unprecedentedly horrible thing to do, plus System Rift, the only additional mission published so far, seems to be rather short and unremarkable.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I have read that this release is the middle of a 3-part story. So, I assume there's a continuation in the next release.

5. IvanV

That would make sense. :)

6. IvanV

Not sure if this is the best thread, but I didn't feel like opening a new one. Apparently, it turns out that I have an extra season pass key for this game. Anyone interested?!

7. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Hey Ivan, I'm interested. Thanks. :) (I'll pm the details to you)