DH Guide: Lapping a Heatsink

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 6, 2004.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

By the way here are some figures for you...

Before lapping 30C W/AS3
    After lapping 27C W/AS2

2. Rogan

Rogan New Member

Have you got a link to that? How did they get a nice flat contact on the N/B while they were lapping it?

Nice guide btw, thanks.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I saw that guide and in fact I still have it bookmarked at home somewhere, ill hunt it out when I get home from work. im not sure I would recommend doing that to the northbridge though, unless you are an expert with these mods. you are cutting into the top of the northbridge and if you go down to far the whole chip dies. Much safer and almost as efficient taking the stock cooler off applying some good thermal paste and reseating with a better cooler.

4. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

I will in about 2 weeks post about my experience w/ lapping a heatsink i havent yet, but im getting a performance heatsink sometime so well see how things go i really enjoyed reading this, and i learned something, my current heatsink has bad bad scratches, i have a p4 2.4 @ 2.8, @ 29-32C i will lap it and see how things go... this would be to experiement for my 3.0c that im gonna get

5. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Sounds great, just remember not to get in a hurry, on some heat sinks it can take a little while to get what you are looking for. Find something that reflects well, so you can see how your progess it going when you are getting close to finishing. Also dont forget about "cure time" for the TIM. I prefer using AS Ceramique', just because it transfers heat extrememly well, and is SAFE to use as well as clean up is easy.

Good luck.:D

6. GutterPunk

thanks for the tips, I will take pics showing my progress, if i can do it ne1 can, i am also getting a new cooling unit for my vcard i can show that too... ill look @ ceramique ive always use as3

7. GutterPunk

i lapped it on my r9800 but ya know what i fogot to take pics of the process but believe me it works well! when I get some AS5 then i will post a pic of my HS cuz I have cheap paste on it for now

8. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Sounds good bud. I even lapped my Artic Cooling HS for my 9800 Pro. I didn't take any temperature readings for before and after......but there was a very noticable difference in temperature of the fins and the air exiting the case. Not to mention that my card overclocks much better now. :rofl:

9. Evil Techie

Evil Techie New Member

thats a good idea, lapping arctic cooling which is already a kick ass cooler

i lap my heatsinks differently though
    i use a sanding block or some sort of blocks
    and work from 600 to 1200
    but ive heard that to get the best results, you are NOT suppose to lap the lines crossing
    you can only lap it one direction
    and its like push, lift, move back, push, lift, move back...

the motion is kind of like when you are making a bread dough

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

that not right... you make an L shape or you turn the heat sink as you sand.

aslo 2000 girt is were you want to sand to

11. Evil Techie

Evil Techie New Member

when i heard it, the person said that it is not suppose to give you a mirror finish but it will give you the optimal heat transfer

12. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Everyone has there own little ways of doing things.....no biggie.

I was tought how to lap and polish metal by an Engineer that designed and built injection mold's for plastic. The heat transfer and surface smoothness is crucial with those presses. I also do my own porting and polishing on heads and intakes for V-8 drag race engines. What I do and how I do it works for me.

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

well a mirror finish will create band so good and so stong, it's possable to pull your cpu out of socket! removeing your heatsink...

the finer the better, and then you have to apply the themal paste right and all is well

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I have done it with a figure "8" shape before too- and it worked very good. Actually my old generic (AOC) copper cooler lapped with a 70mm fan worked just about as good as this new SLK900A that isn't lapped with an 80mm adjustable fan- I also used the same 80mm fas on the smaller copper cooler before I swapped coolers.. Actually the SLK's spring retention force isn't nearly as strong as the generic little copper cooler, and I don't thing it compresses those 4 little black rubber round things on the CPU- I think that's why my SLK900A isn't cooling as good as it could, not that it's doing bad now, but it could be better..

That's another thing to consider though, the spring tension on the heatsink.

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

long as yours chageing directions often, it will sand fine :)

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

What do you think about those little rubber disc's on a Tbred on the corners? Have you ever taken them off or shaved them down? I think I may at least shave them down a little.

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

NNNOOOOOOOO!

leave those alone! they help keep you from cracking your core! And with an slk or a hevey cooler they acually give you 4 more just to make shure they fit up good.

I mean you can go with out them but then the core so much is easier to crack = easy to kill your cpu

They are soft and don't interfere wit contact so really i'd leave them be...

18. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah I wasn't sure if they were interfering or not- It doens't seem like they would, but my spring isn't very strong-
    I still have to apply considerable force connecting it because it has all three of the spaces that have to click in on each side of the socket- my old HS only used 3 on one side, and one on the side you needed to connect..

It seems like I saw somone remove those before though, but I can't remember ..

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

some people use like nylon /rubber washers insted :D but theats not the best idea

wel some time thier removal is accendetnal like while cleaning and then there is not much you can do bout it. it's part of the cpu if it isremoved, well i forget if it effects the warrenty:uhoh:

those are best kind of clips... ithink through the board mounting should be standerdised... it's so much better..

20. warpigs

warpigs New Member

What heatsinks are you guys lapping? I lapped my Thermaltake Silent Boost, I haven't seen much improvement but that might be because it's not a performance heatsink.