DH Review: ATI HD 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 28, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the words of support today guys, much appreciated. Also be sure to check out the other reviews, we posted quite a few in the news today. I was a little disappointed with Hardocp and their stance today on their front page, stating that apparently everyone else is using "canned" benchmarks and they are the only ones who aren't.

We haven't been using premade benchmark scripts for a very long time (we also dropped 3dmark in reviews before hardocp did), stuart uses real game play. This is in fact how we noticed the minimum frame per second issue we noted (page 17 of the review), I don't think anyone else has even covered this in detail, take from that what you will! Not only that but we managed to get a statement direct from AMD explaining why. We have spent the last week working with AMD on the drivers, so I think its pretty fair to say we know what we are talking about.

That said, id rather not dwell on this, I hope our review has been informative, entertaining and educational.

2. Blacklash

Blacklash Che cazzo stai dicendo?

Good review.

I am going to try one myself. It's on the way from Newegg. Will they be making the drivers you used to test available soon? Currently I have the regular 8.1s installed.

I guess I'll try it in my Q6600 G-0 rig first because that CPU is well overclocked and will likely give it solid support.

3. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

I wouldnt worry about it Zardon, Im a long time reader of Hardocp but you really do have to take Kyle with a pinch of salt. The reviews at Hardocp are good, however my personal take is that they tend to like controversy and to ram down peoples throats they are 150% unbiased and are a little bit smarter than everyone else. I was here when you guys dropped the synethic 3dmark in reviews and about 2 weeks later Hardocp did the same.

I think this review today on Driverheaven shows one thing however, that Hardocp are lately lacking. DH is a superior hardware review site and has been for a good 6 months - I wouldn't have said that this time last year.

Kudos guys, this is the most unbiased review showing the strengths and weaknesses of the card on all levels. The word is spreading, ive noticed a lot of people think the same thing on all the tech sites today.

4. psuedoanomaly

psuedoanomaly New Member

I read the review, I'm not sure if I missed some details but how are you benching these games?

5. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

eh? did you read the test system page? there are details on drivers, hardware, testing procedures. everything.

6. geraldmango

geraldmango New Member

The test system page shows the metholodogy and all the hardware and software used. Every game page also has pictures of the game settings and BMP format IQ images. Real time testing is used and every test is ran 3 times on every card and averages used, not synt pre made benchmarks. Thats how DH spotted the minimum frame rate issues that were detailed on page 17. If it wasn't for DH, all the reviews would have the old crappy drivers, it was DH who got AMD to postpone NDA for a week ! Not a common fact on the net as other hardware sites seem to be deliberately ignoring it. Guess they are maybe a bit worried that DH are too much on the ball lately.

man I just read the front page post that kyle put up on Hardocp. What a tool. DH finds driver issues, gets AMD to delay the card being released and helps to make the drivers better. Then due to testing they notice a hardware problem with minimum frame rates and get a response from AMD!

What exactly did hardocp do? yeah, the usual, just slag everyone else off, while putting up a substandard article.

7. psuedoanomaly

psuedoanomaly New Member

You mean the paragraph on the first page about good benchmarking practices?

That paragraph vaguely explains how these games were benchmarked, afaik cutscenes, timedemos, built in benchmarks and scripts could have been used to bench these games.

8. HardwareHeaven

I take it you aren't a regular, so ill break it down. We use real game play to test graphics cards, we have done so for a long time. if we used pre built benchmarks or time demos we wouldn't have found the minimum frame rate issue as the majority of sites who used these still haven't even found the issue. This is only seen with extended gameplay, or what id like to call "real life" gameplay. We play games for hours behind the scenes with new cards before we even start benchmarking. This is the best way to find or note anything unusual before we get into the indepth review testing. This is how we found issues that caused AMD to delay their NDA for a week. Issues we helped solve.

if you would like anything else explained please ask away.

9. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Every single test in the review used real gameplay... i can confirm that as i was the one who tested the cards and wrote the article. We/I havent used timedemos, or built in benchmarks for years, and have never benched a cutscene in my life.

10. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Hey Zardon looks like Kyle at Hardocp has retracted the insult when he said that everyone else used canned benchmarks. Seems it was the news guy Steve. Seems a bit mean of Kyle to be passing the blame to him entirely, its partly his own fault for not checking on front page postings especially on such an important article.

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 @ [H]

Man those Hardocp forums are a nasty place!

11. HardwareHeaven

Thanks for the info brutus, glad they retracted that statement as it was incorrect and rather insulting.

Anyway lets move back to the subject of the card, anyone got one ordered? any nvidia users moving?

12. Venatus

Venatus New Member

Followed the flame war from [H] over here and liked your review, based on both yours and [H] review I plunged and bought the visiontek 3870x2 and the asus maximus formula for it to finish my build. I'll take some pics and post them when everything gets here.

Pretty excited actually. Upgrading my old agp system with a x800 in it :p

13. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

welcome aboard man. nice to see a few new faces. hope the card works out well for ya.

14. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

Here from [H] as well. Finally found another respectable review site to add to the very short list. I really want one of these cards!

15. JuicyBrain

JuicyBrain New Member

Hi, I registered here because I will be viewing your site more often. One of the best X2 reviews I have seen yet. I love the highly professional look and I love you guys attitude. Like many I come from [H] and I am sick of Kyle and his massive ego. I think timedemos have their place as long as their custom and not out of box timedemos. Its hard to repeat your exact steps in every single game and seems a bit unscientific when comparing one GPU vs another. In your real world tests at least you run everything even accross the board and I appreciate that.

Thank you

theBrain.

16. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Ive got 2 on the way, asus cards.

17. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

goddamn CMX.......

18. popegold

popegold New Member

Another [H] ardCOPer joing the fray over here... love the place

Well now KYLE at [H] is calling out DH specifically.... he is asking for the settings used on COD4 and the specific OS

he is showing a screen shot of his setting on his 3870x2 review forum thread...and is asking DH for the same

19. Blacklash

Blacklash Che cazzo stai dicendo?

20. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

100FPS at 8x AA and 16x AF...... dood...... just dood.....