DH Review: XFX 8800 Ultra XXX 768MB

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 20, 2007.

1. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Like any factory HSF, it could probably do a good disassembly and reapplication with AS5 for optimal heat xfer....

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

is there any noticable difference in performance between AS5 and Ceramique?

lol and y dont heatsinks have air travel through the width of the card instead of the length? i mean it probably would be more work but air would have to travel a shorter distance and be cooler by the time it reaches the other side, but i guess pressure is an issue there...

3. ChaosMinionX

Most of the debate over Ceramique and AS5 are personal preference, no real evidence shows one performs better than the other...However when you compare either of those to Cool Labratory Liquid Metal Pro, then you see them get laid out by 5C or better when applied right. :)

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

UPDATE 21st May 2007
    It has been brought to our attention by XFX that the graphics card in this article does not have the retail clocks of the XXX Edition - this has in fact been a bios issue with the particular card we received. It is effectively their XT [extreme] Edition. As you have experienced with the content of this review we are very enthusiastic about this card, however the fact that there is actually another card faster than the one we tested is incredible!

The XFX GF 8800 Ultra XXX Edition has been boosted up to:
    Core: 675 MHz
    Memory: 2300 MHz
    Shader: 1667 MHz

5. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

I have a local store bringing one in for $980.00 Canadian, says about the 23rd of May. Over a "G" with taxes! *SHEESH*, I am referring to the 675/2.3 model.

6. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

ouch that's a pretty penny to dish out for a card, I hope you enjoy every penny of it

7. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Goddamn that's a fast card, and it looks great too. But holy man it's expensive.

8. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

If you want the best of the best, id say the 8800GTX is the better buy. While the Ultra is a bit faster than the 8800GTX, the second one is much cheaper (at least here in sweden) and there are some overclocked versions of the GTX (wich i suppose arent that far away from the Ultra) at decent prices.

Non the less you can get two HD2900s and a high end PSU for less than one Ultra XXX (again, here in sweden...), i wonder what performs the best...:x

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Two cards will never beat one for the simple fact that Crossfire / SLI doesn't support enough titles and isn't always automatically using the extra GPU power efficiently.

10. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

depends on your definition of "best", if that actually means "second best" then yeah, the GTX is certainly that. The GTX however is the best value for money, but thats an entirely different debate.

Obviously you havent researched this very well. I have yet to see a GTX shipping or even handling a memory overclock of 2300mhz+, this is primarily because of the hand picked samsung memory which driver heaven have mentioned in this review.

Wonder no more, because it would be the Ultra, I spent a year with two X1950s in CF and the experience was abysmal. with games not working, glitches, and general all round driver crapiness I wouldn't even contemplate a dual card solution, and if I was it would be SLI.

I will however state that your response, combined with the other 50 recently on DH certainly cleared one thing up, I would be 95% sure that you are working for AMD, because at the press launch AMD told journalists exactly the same thing you said along the lines of "the 2900 won't compete with the GTX or ultra, but combine two and hey it will".

Its a terrible response, and while your loyalty to AMD is admirable (and amusing to see you clutching at straws to defend an appalling launch), you are without a doubt the biggest fan boy i have seen on DH.

11. ChaosMinionX

Doubtful.

AMD/ATI screwed up anyone will tell you that to an extent, to what extent? Mileage may vary.

However to Compare the GTX/Ultra to the X2900XT is unfair, the market originally intended for the XT is mainstream, as with any other AMD/ATI solution bearing the XT/XL/Pro tags. The XTX is the flagship model meant to compete against the GTX/Ultra, superclocked XTXs for the ultra if you want to compare ultra to an XTX.

The XTX launch was flawed, the XT was performing as expected for the price range.... Hence the reason the XT launched, and there are rumors of a HD 2900XT 1024mb GDDR4 (The XTX rebranded to XT because it did not meet internal expectations of the XTX branding.)

So any Fanboy defending the XT not competing with the GTX/Ultra would be right to an extent, but the only reason it is competing is because of a flawed flagship product.

End of story.

12. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

that is an extremely offensive statement, which is in the utmost of poor taste. you must have never been affected by someone that had commited suicide. i do realize that you have the right to freedom of speech. but bad form sir.

13. ChaosMinionX

To be OT for a second, it isnt necessarily extremely offensive. People lose people for one reason or another, to put it into a satirical context such as that is far from offensive, more of a comment regarding the extreme viewpoints of "Fanboys". Nothing more, nothing less.

To put it into a lighter situation, your handle for instance of "nuclearwinter" which would incite an extreme use of nuclear weaponry to incite a climate change. Nukes arent very funny, and im sure anyone that has had family that has experienced a nuke, or nuclear disaster could tell you :)

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  14. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

They screwed up to such an extent that major sites like Hardocp and Driver Heaven have slated the product and can't recommend it, while a competitors 3rd from top level card proves to be quieter, takes less power and has been out for 6 months. I would say that is quite some mileage.

I agree, it is unfair, but looking at it from this angle is extremely "black and white", and however we would like to class this, we are still looking at a companies flagship product which has arrived 6 months late, and has a ton of problems it shouldnt have had. This is my point, regardless of price, you have to look at the two leading GFX companies and realise that both flagship products are a world a part. What does this mean? well really it is a public persception that ATI really are lagging behind on a technological level and are unable to produce a high card which is competitive. Whether we like it or not (and im not a big fan of a one horse race trust me), this is the situation we are having now and Nvidia are being seen as the elite graphics card company due to the superior 8800 range.

If only life were so simple man, the only end of story I can see right now is ATI fixing the 2900 and bringing out a 2950 with a lot of the flaws rectified. The simple facts are that ATI's reputation has been damaged with a delayed launch on a product which has, quite simply. not made the grade.

15. ChaosMinionX

Not like Nvidia had a shining reputation prior to the G80 for exceptional products, or drivers for that matter. The refresh in Q3 with XTX will either be a huge success and lay waste to Nvidias G80 stuff...or it will be an "OK" alternative to the G80...Only time will tell at this point :rolleyes:

16. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Well you see i have the ability to not feel loyalty to either company, when the FX was released it was appalling and I made sure to say so, when the NV lovers were defending it with stupid analogies. Much like this launch with the ATi lovers trying to find something desperately to cling onto to defend their beloved company. Why is this necessary? It is our duty to demand high quality products which are good value for money regardless of whether it is AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Creative.

Once people realise that these companies don't pay our bills and are here to make money then we will hopefully have more subjective responses as well as pushing them to release goods that we want and that are competitive.

It still stuns me that the graphics card sector is apparently one of the few that companies can release utter crap and people will still buy it because "I love them". If Ford released a sports car which ran slower, hotter and looked like a pig and was 6 months later than their competitors they would come under flak for it, and rightly so. Let's not omit ATI from this either.

17. ChaosMinionX

Well I think ATI has just better quality overall from the Nvidia products that I have used, Nvidias drivers are pretty much crap on multiple releases, a little improvement here and there.

But the fact still remains I think ATI (until the AMD merger) was the best GFX company. Im still waiting to see what that merger will give way to.

18. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Well I can only put this down to the fact that you are ill educated and inexperienced on both companies right now and are referring to a situation some time ago. Nvidia's XP drivers are widely regarded to be much superior and I know only a few blind ATI lovers who seemingly think Catalyst Control Centre was a good step "forward". Also if you spent a year with two X1950s in crossfire on XP then I find it hard to believe that anyone could rate ATI drivers with the apparent passion you claim. I think your point does bear fruit with regards to Vista, and Nvidia rightly came under huge pressure to sort that out, which they have done.

Well we already have the first fruits of that marriage, and it is not impressive by any definition of the term. Bemuses me that many people claim ATI are superior for their drivers, like you just have, yet also claim on the other hand that the hardware is being hampered by the drivers and that 4 months down the line things will be much better. So is it the Hardware? The Drivers? I think its both.

19. ChaosMinionX

Not the fact that Im ill educated as you say, the fact that I have used 7900GTX/7950GX2 (atrocious product), and also teh X1900XTX and X1950XTX. And finally decided on a CrossFire X1900XTX setup, since the X1950 gains were marginal at best.... But beyond that the ATI image quality was noticeably better than Nvidias at that time frame, and the product just seemed like a better performer overall, not because of a fanboy standpoint just from a hardware pov. Yeah its awhile ago since those cards came out but at the time the differences were apparent.

Yeah the Nvidia stuff had problems going to a vista platform, but I still have yet to see anyone give Nvidia's driver dept a round of applause for launching an exceptional driver. The driver realeases your seeing now are to get a product to where it should be, and then to improve upon it. X2900XT has some potential against the GTS, and some games has beaten the GTX...

Just give ATI time and im sure something will come out of it, one of the main reasons im avoiding a vid card atm is because I played the ATI waiting game, and by the time everyone found out ATI didnt show up, NVidias stuff was already 6-7months old, and due for a refresh, if not better technology. So now you have people that wont go Nvidia for the mere fact their stuff is that old.

Well who said ATI had a working product 4months ago? They could have changed something that the driver dept had to rework, and is getting the handle on again. Nobody knows for certain, but look at the performance gains from a couple releases of drivers. Its somewhere in the realm of 20-30% better than release.

EDIT: And we still wont get to see any major DX10 benches which really is what counts for some time. I see the G80 as a topline DX9, entry level DX10 card at best when DX10 gets in full swing. Same will go for the R600 lineup as well. So neither of these cards will matter in a years time. When the real DX10 games and hardware comes, then we will see what company has the crown :)

20. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

1) there is nothing funny,comical or witty about suicide. no matter the context. i HAVE lost someone close to me. and i found the statement to offend me greatly. i'm not speaking for the entire human race. but i am sure that there are many like me that would have said the same thing.

2) i'm not being a P.C. patrolman. and my handle... nowhere, is there a joke in my handle which leads one to believe that i am glad ppl die of nuclear weapons. i chose my name as a wakeup call to myself almost 10 years ago. because of an article i read affected me so, thus the name just kinda "stuck"

3)(on topic..sorta)i am dissapointed in AMD/ATI(can't bring myself to calling it AMD) first i was excited about the AM2 socket/processors utilizing DDR2 memory. with the flick of a wrist INTEL's core duo line blew anything and everything AMD came with, out of the water(and still dominates even after AMD's newer product line). the same goes for the x2900 series. Nvidia has had their product out on the maket far too long for ATI to produce an inferior/broken(XTX) product this late in the game. by the time ATI fixes the XTX(via 2950 or so)Nvidia will be well on their way to shipping out their latest and greatest. i was what some would have called an ATI fanboy . but i'm not too impressed with what i've seen lately. the fact of the matter is that Nvidia is making the superior products. and i bow to this ultra 8800. only wish i had the funds to get one.(or two :drool: ) and as far as drivers. although catalyst has improved some i still think there is much to be desired. i haven't used an nvidia card but for 1 month. so i have no base to compare drivers. after 2950 drops, if i don't like what i see, i may just get the chance to see what Nvidia can do for me.