DH Review: XFX 8800 Ultra XXX 768MB

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 20, 2007.

1. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Im about in the same boat, gonna wait on Q3 and see what comes....If nothing, then its gonna be a 8800 Ultra.

2. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Yes, im certainly not going to argue that point with regards to the 7xxx series, but this industry is one of the fastest moving out there and right now we are dealing with the 8800 series, which is class leading and still is, even with a 6 month differential in company releases. So this is what im basing my commentary on. I am glad you stated your experience with NV hardware however, as it gives a clearer indication of the time frame you are coming from, which is firmly footed in mid 2006, not 2007. Also how can you compare the IQ of the latest 8800 series to ATI products when you haven't actually used both? It's a little like comparing a meal to another you have never tasted but basing your facts on others opinions or pictures.

No they didn't launch an exceptional driver, in fact the launch driver was appalling, is this the subject we are debating right now? You have to understand that ATI, haven't been developing the R600 without driver development. People seem to feel that when the R600 was launched in the public domain that they suddenly said "ok guys, the product is released, lets start working on the drivers". The ATI guys have been working on the R600 for a long time now, I would go as far to say, just as long as the 8800 drivers. So all we should logically be concerned about, is the driver right now that people can use. After all no one cares about the drivers last year, or the drivers next year, we can all only use what is available to us. So going on this logic, Nvidia have the superior drivers on all platforms. Whether this will change is open to future guessing.

So, let me work that out, you are saying that you haven't bought a video card yet is because you were waiting on ATI to release a new product. A new product is out, so im guessing with all this public defense of the product you already have one or have ordered one? Incidentally, the 8800 may be "old" if you are going by release dates, however this is a compliment to the 8880 range (you have never used), as it is still the superior solution in terms of power drain, thermal dynamics and performance.

ATI have had the R600 working for a long time now, as it was shown behind the doors to several people, and the cards hit the fab lines quite some time ago (last year). Since then, even ATI knew the products weren't good enough and decided to wait to add gimmicks like audio etc to try and sway some users to purchase. they knew that selling the card on performance alone wouldn't work. As for 30% gains with drivers, this could be a selling point, however in what other industry would you accept a 30% gain on blind faith? if you purchased a car with 100bhp when you wanted 150bhp and were told by the manufacturer "well i think in 6 months time we will get another 30% from it, so even if you part with the money right now, it should be worth the money after you have used it for 4 months".

Its unacceptable on so many levels, im amazed im spelling it out.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. ChaosMinionX

Nope I wont order one, its not an XTX... by my profile you should be able to tell I dont buy midline products :)....Anyways if ATI fails to show anything come Q3 that is noteworthy, I will be picking up the best Nvidia at that point and holding onto it until theres leaps and bounds in video performance.

I was not sticking to the fact people should go ATI irregardless of what they drop on the market, was just defending the fact that ATI screwed up this one, and that I would really say it has tarnished their name so much that people will be reluctant to wait again for ATI's next gen solution over Nvidia. Regardless of what companies do there will always be those who wait for what they have, even if it isnt the best, and will hold onto the hope that it has that small chance to out perform the competition.

EDIT: As far as image quality, its all from screenshots, which can show the difference in AA and general shading, which is all that really matters no?
    You dont need live video to see the difference, you can tell from multiple renders and shots of the same scene.

4. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Again, this is something from the past.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/xfx8800ultra/IQ.php just look at that IQ, as good as anything ATI have ever done.

5. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

i too have heard on several occasions and from several sites(including this one) that ATI's visual quality on the whole was(perhaps often marginal, but still) superior to Nvidia. but that was a long time ago. when the mighty x850 was king. :rofl: compared to the first gen 7XXX series. but i've been out of the game for far too long to argue my case lol.

6. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Wow.

I have no idea of why you are upset about my post. Now for all i know, i never stated anything incorrectly.

Obviously you cant read correctly. Exactly where did i state that a GTX OC is faster than a Ultra? I clearly stated that a GTX OC is close to a Ultra. The price diffrence between a GTX and Ultra is huge, and if you cannot admit that then you are dissing facts - fanboy.

My definition of best is best without paying way too much when you can get the same thing for much less. The diffrence between the Ultra and GTX does not justify the price diffrence in my opinion. The GTX is the fastest GPU on earth, with only the Ultra being slightly faster. I think it makes much more sense to buy a GTX and maybe a nice case (if you have any) instead of buying just the Ultra. The price diffrence is just that much, and while a GTX will never beat the Ultra (OC or not) it will still be very close to it.

[qoute]Its a terrible response, and while your loyalty to AMD is admirable (and amusing to see you clutching at straws to defend an appalling launch), you are without a doubt the biggest fan boy i have seen on DH.[/qoute]

I cannot be called a fanboy for stating facts. I have not ever said that the Ultra is not the fastest card on earth. I have not stated that two HD2900s are faster than a 8800Ultra. As a fanboy yourself, you are making these things up yourself - you are paranoid. You attack me for absolutely no reason and if you just re-read what i wrote to begin with you might realize that i actually didnt say anything incorrectly.

In the beginning of this thread people are warning about ATi-fanboys, but no one mentions that this thread infact is full of nvidia fanboys that take facts offending and make things personal. Now if you want to futher discuss this please take it via PM becasuse these forums are too good to be cluttered with s*** like this.

7. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

Thx for both Vista and XP benchies!

I like the review, makes me happy i have a gtx, and I didn't wait! Although ATI has some driver optimizing as always but I feel the g80 series still doesn't have drivers close to the potential.

The XTX has a lot of weight on its shoulders. For coming out what will be 9 monthish after the current leader... it needs to kick some serious ass.

8. bug77

bug77 New Member

Nice review and somewhat nice card (though I won't be buying a USD1000 card anytime soon; or a card that needs 2 external PCIe power connectors).

But I noticed the uncompressed images are in BMP format. Why not use PNG and save youselves some bandwidth?

9. ChaosMinionX

The GTX will never be able to match or come within 10% of an even more OCd Ultra, theres plenty of headroom left on that card from what I have seen.

10. X1800XTTOP

X1800XTTOP New Member

Oh my, i must have understimated the Ultra in that case. The early reviews i read basicly stated the Ultra was 1-5 fps faster, and that the GTX OC versions are "the better buy".

I had read this review; http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1101/1/page_1_introduction/index.html

After reading that some time ago i just got the impression a GTX OC is very close, yet much cheaper than the Ultra - and thats the reason i said what i said.

I dont think one should get all upset and call WW3 for something like this. I mean, you could tell me im wrong without being rude, and i can reply - explaining - without being rude right back. It´s not hard is it?

11. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

You cant go wrong with an 8800 no matter what you're budget is.There all outstanding.And yes,I'm the resident nVIDIA fanboy.But at least I admit it.

12. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Little boring, reviewing a card priced to not sell. Anyways ok job, though would have liked to see a few more gpu configs compared. Such as sli and xfire.

13. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Well anything that costs less and gives most of the performance will always be the "better buy", but you are looking at this through the eyes of a sensible person on a specific budget. The ultra isn't targeted to that crowd, its aimed at the extreme high resolution gamers who aren't too worried about the cost, and who just want ultimate performance. This is why ATI are losing credibility, they aren't delivering to this audience. regardless of whether anyone thinks this is right or wrong, is irrelevant, its just how it is. Enthusiast's who visit this site, base a companies success on their highest end card, even if only a small percentage end up buying it. it has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Actually, it is one of the hardest things, dealing with a fanboy, because no matter how sensible an argument is, or how the facts present themselves, it is irrelevant to a fanboy. They tend to make up arguments and how "they" see it, when in fact the reality and facts are quite the opposite. If I was being rude to you then I apologise, in fact you seem rather well educated and capable of spelling correctly and phrasing your wording very well, unfortunately the commentary you are posting is just utter fanboy nonsense and I honestly do still think you are right now sitting in AMD HQ in Canada trying to defend the product. Obviously i could be very well wrong, but hey, I may be an asshole but im honest about it.

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

So we ignore the card because you find it boring? I think not. Most people love to read the high end reviews even if they can't afford them, certainly the hit figures and debate in these threads would verify that.

We didn't include dual card in this review as there is another review coming dealing specificially with that. We also have been in talks with AMD and they have worked with us and delivered a wealth of support including updated, as yet unreleased drivers. Keep your eyes peeled on DH.

15. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Maybe so, but until nvidia prices it to sell, just another phantom card for sites to bench with. But I do appreciate your reviews, just found the the last couple a little simplistic. My last thought is since when is everybody who disagrees with the masses a fanboy. Always liked dh as that type stuff was absent.

And I will keep my eyes peeled for the next review. Visit everyday to look, as I like the support here and all those reviews on quiet compenents.

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

A card is only "phantom" if it isn't available to buy, and the ultra is. You might not buy it, but people will, always a small percentage of sales for high end cards, but that's not really the point.

17. ronnn

ronnn New Member

All of us will have a different definition of the word phantom in terms of video card. The x800xtpe was termed a phantom after probably larger actual sales than the ultra - as there was very limited availability for several months. If they had priced that card at the $800 level, availability would not have been an issue.:rofl:

18. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

The fact is that the Ultra was released for those who want something faster than the GTX without moving to SLI, maybe its not a card the majority can afford however there are plenty of people out there who could pick one up quite easily. From a quick check i can see cards in stock everywhere and to me that means it is clearly not a "phantom" product.

What i'm more concerned about is your comment on the last few reviews being simplistic. What exactly caused you to think this and what would you like to see instead? (Keeping in mind we have a wide audience to cater for)

19. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Ok - starting with the hd2900xt review.

I would be just as happy to see one os used, as most people getting a top of the line card will likely have vista or will be getting it soon.

Take that time used and test a few more resolutions. In my mind (knowing I may be wrong) NSFCarbon, Flight sim X, Supreme Commander, Stalker and Rainbow Six looked to be tested at unplayable settings for the 8800gts and the hd 2900xt. I don't have all these games so maybe they absorb low fps well. Anyways I would like more resolutions as I don't use that one. Have seen reviews showing the hd2900xt does very well at 2560x1600, but don't use that either.

As you obviously were unimpressed with the hd2900xt, which is totally fair enough - better to do with facts over loaded language. Such as with FEAR EP,"incredibly low" low fps. Those incredibly low fps were mentioned several times in that review. While the same low fps for the 640gts were described "occasional" on Flight sim x.
    "After the surprise of Oblivion, we find that Supreme Commander returns to the normal trend for the review." Actually Supreme Commander was 1 of 2 big wins for the 8800gts or 3 if you count Fear. 1 big win for the hd2900xt and the rest a wash. Certainly well above the average - in terms of performance difference. Anyways maybe the hd2900xt is worth less than the 8800gts, but I didn't find the review supported that.

Putting a very specific value on it at the end, really was very strange, as the 8800ultra gtx is worth what they can get for it.

So back to the positive, I generally enjoy your reviews and surely am being unfair. I am aware doing a 25 page review (which often seems the norm now) is not for all sites or readers. Your opinion is valued or none of us would bother to respond.

20. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I'd like to do one OS also however if we did that we would get people complaining we didnt use their OS of choice. Doing both covers everyones needs.

In our opinion, any £350 card should be able to play at 1920x1200 without issue so thats the resolution we aim for. From these results the reader can see whether they have the potential to go higher, play with AA/AF etc or if need be whether they have to lower the settings to achive playable framerates. In other price ranges we test at other resolutions, our first 8600 review for example used 1680x1050 quite a lot. A bit of consideration on readership goes on here too. Very few people have displays capable of 2560x1600 so its not a priority for us.

The difference is that a lot of the time the Radeon was outputing those low fps which makes for very stuttery gameplay. With the GTS, the vast majority of the time the card produces smooth framerates at the tested settings. Hence the mention of the Radeon being low, a lot, and the GTS being occasional. I also think its pretty clear that we are stating facts throughout the review, including specific framerates. I also wouldnt class those quotes as "loaded". They are statements designed to emphasise how the card performs.

The trend was the Radeon not performing noticably better than the GTS. As for value, the Radeon should be priced much lower than the GTS, it has less memory, worse performance (most of the time) and similar features.

Not entirely sure which article you are commenting on here.

I was mostly concerned about your simplistic comment however it seems that wasn't really what you meant. Thanks for the feedback anyway.