Diagnosing an Issue with a Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Jac, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Recently I have had an issue with my system. The symptoms are that the monitor (LG W2361) will cut out. As in the display will just go off. I cannot then turn the display back on without unplugging the power cable. and plugging back in.

This started happening about a month ago and the first time it happened I couldn't get the display back for about an hour. Figured the monitor had just died. I did manage to get it back on but over the course of the next few weeks it randomly did the same thing though when it happens now I can just unplug/plug and it will come straight back. It's probably happened about 6 times now.

I did all sorts of things to try and rectify it. New power cable, different display cable. Reset to factory. Blew out the vents to remove any dust (it was very warm when it started happening). For the last week or so it has appeared fine though yesterday I did have an issue where the power button stopped responding. And just now I turned it off accidentally by knocking the power button and couldn't turn it back on.

So I am pretty sure it is the monitor that has an issue and not another more expensive component in the rig :cool: Likely related to overheating. If it dies completely I'll buy another monitor but I rather not if I don't have to. I want to have two systems eventually - one for media/games and one for general work. That way if I have issues like this it makes it much easier to test components and find out which one is faulty.

So does anybody have an idea what the specific issue might be? This is an old display TBF, probably 6-7 years - do monitors have an expected life.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

It does sound a lot like the internal power supply is going bad. I had a Chimera monitor that was acting like that a few years ago. And, yes, monitors do have an expected life as with most any other electronic device. That's one reason the warranty is only for a limited time. One year, as with this monitor. :)

Is it this one?

https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-W2361VG-PF

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

That is the monitor yes. My thoughts were perhaps a build up of dust causing overheating issues, I haven't had the back off yet - there doesn't appear to be screws holding it together so likely snap fittings. They can be a bugger to get off. I have heard that capacitors can fail after so many years and perhaps that is an issue. I would have expected a power supply failure to result in the monitor just failing completely but as I say, I have no idea so suggestions are welcomed.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'd lean towards what Dyre said as the cause. It didn't go completely, but there is something wrong, bad caps, an occasional loss of contact or a short happening from time to time.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

In many cases, a monitor power unit will develop a "weak spot" as it were...where heat can cause it to cut off due to heat. You can try putting an external fan behind it near the vents and see if that temporarily solves the loss of power. If so, it definitely is the power unit going bad. They don't always go bad all at once. But, once they start, it's simply a matter of time before the unit won't work again.