Disable Gadgets NOW says Redmond

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by IvanV, Jul 12, 2012.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Microsoft has advised Vista and Windows 7 users to put Gadgets and the Windows Sidebar to the sword, following the revelation of yet-to-be-detailed remote code execution vulnerabilities in the features.

Redmond issued this advisory ahead of an upcoming Black Hat presentation by Mickey Shkatov and Toby Kohlenberg. The two have promised to reveal “interesting attack vectors” in a presentation called “We Have You By The Gadgets”.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So they don't give a shit and they are not even going to try to fix it?

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like they just want to get rid of the gadgets feature. I noticed a long time ago that they had dropped support for these things. Moving the support pages and hoping people would just quietly forget they existed.

They're pushing the 'Metro' paradigm now, the functionality you would have had in a gadget is now transposed to a 'Metro' tile. Take the 'weather' gadget for example. Now they have the weather tile. So you are on your desktop, you want to see what the weather is like and will be like for the next few hours. You switch to the start screen, launch the weather app, then get the information from the fullscreen app then switch back to the desktop, then hover over the left pane to get the task switching windows, right click the weather app and select 'close' from the menu (unless you're happy to leave metro apps running in the background. Whereas before you just glanced to the right, got the information you wanted then carried on working.

I like my gadgets although I only ever have two running usually, weather and the clock.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that it's just a standard procedure when there is a serious enough flaw that's likely to get exploited before it gets fixed. In a similar way, last year they advised people to use an alternative browser instead of IE (putting a smile on a lot of people's faces in the process) when a particularly nasty zero day flaw was published.
    If you're perfectly happy to leave a weather gadget running in the background, why not do the same with "a Metro app" that does the same job? Apart from being made with a different SDK (and the pointy vs rounded corners), "The Weather Gadget" and "The Weather Tile" seem like essentially the same thing to me.

5. Trusteft

Well, since I will never use Windows 8, their loss.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've always hated and disabled gadgets.. always....

when vista launched, it's one of the first things i do when the desktop would pop up on install.

right click, exit..... uncheck start this next time windows starts, ok and never again.

i know plenty of people that use it.. .but don't really make good use of it.

7. Trusteft

I use it for 2 gadgets, clock and calendar. I have them appear vertically on the second monitor and I find it very very useful.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i click once on my clock......

9. Trusteft

If I use the main monitor in fullscreen then what? I don't want to lose time to alt tab (where it is even possible). As it is now, I just glance to the next monitor.

10. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I tried using the Weather Metro App yesterday to see how it compares in useability with the standard desktop gadget.

It's not terrible, I can just swipe the left side of the screen and click the thumbtile to switch to it. The information is more detailed than the desktop app.

Fact is it's just more convenient to have the little gadget sat there on my screen where I can just glance at it whenever I like. Plus it takes less memory, although that's not really an issue on an 8GB system.

I just don't buy the official explanation that gadgets are suddenly a high security risk and that's why they are being depreciated. Seems to me M$ are desperate to enforce the 'Metro' interface on everybody and this is a step towards that goal.

I'm waiting to see how things lie with the RTM version of Windows 8 - who knows, it might be a stylish, efficient and user-friendly OS :D

11. shteve

shteve New Member

I have 4 gadgets on my second screen: Clock, CPU monitor, Network Monitor and CoreTemp. Not practical to have the latter three as metro tiles as they display info that's only really useful when you're using your PC, not looking at the start menu deciding what to do.

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I, personally, tried the Gadgets under Vista but have never really liked to have something like that active at all times on the Desktop.

One thing that some of you may be overlooking is that this presentation at Black Hat conference is being handled by people who are not associated with Microsoft. Apparently, their research and upcoming presentation includes information about the vulnerabilities inherent in the Gadgets environment that warrant some extreme response.

As for what MS's plans to include in Windows 8, I'm like many others: I don't plan to migrate to the new OS anytime soon. Windows 7 is doing just fine and dandy for me and will do so for a few years, I think.

13. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

At work I might have run the calendar, or an application filling the same function. But las I saw a gadget at home was when a program installed one without asking, after which I uninstalled the whole gadget subsystem.