distorted reality

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by danjufo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

been a long time..

heres a pic i just done, not sure on it. The concept is reasonable i guess, not sure i pulled it off though. Tell me what you think about everything - concept - colours - name - anything please.

Well here it is..

[​IMG]

2. Dom

Dom New Member

Nice.

3. daedal

daedal Uber Coffee Drinker

Looks good, but I do have a few suggestions for ya. :)

1. Your tree is lacking shadows, especialy where your "Fairy island thing" is. Err, what I mean is that I think you should airbrush some shadows on the edges of your holes to create a sense of depth. Also try airbrushing some slight shadows behind the waterfall as it would usually obstruct a good ammount of light.

2. Your "fairy dust" uses some brush strokes that are slightly too big (star forms) and all in the same alignment. You can adjust this in the Stroke settings under Alignment and Size Jitter I believe, which will randomly choose a rotation degree and size as you stroke for a greater random effect. I would also add a very subtle outer glow to these for a more mystical effect.

3. Try and add a 1px white trim inside your border to seperate your border from your image as your background is the same color.

I see you're on DA; let me know if you need some space to host your website or something. You've got some nice skills. Great job, and awesome concept!

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

this reminds me of an acid trip man...very surreal, and I supose that was the intention...
    I know you wanted to do something like it again, I enjoy your macarbe work, lets see more...woo hoo
    oh and by the way...I never did acid really..........really........really.......really...........really.........
    what?

5. Drakon

Drakon New Member

interesting, Dan :)

6. fireball

fireball New Member

Nice work! :)

7. shortstuff

shortstuff Sweetness

Nice work Dan.

8. Trunks0

Trunks0 Keeping an open mind

Vary cool and interesting image. Well done :)

9. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

dont post in here much but i have to say i like that :D

10. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

that's very cool, but I do agree with daedal on the shadowing.

Also, where the "hole" is, I might try a slight white glow coming out to make it look like light is coming out of it into the darkness, much how you see a ray of light through a window in a dark cathedral.

11. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

i tried adding a glow but the cutting on the right was so small that the glow took away nearly all of the image beneath and made it hard to understand what was going on. i could have made the glow smaller but it wouldnt have looked good. I guess i could try to add some sun beam\strokes from within the tree holes. I will try, will have a refurbished version soon..

12. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

I have given a go at the things mentioned before, such as shadows the dust and lighting. I can't do the lighting though, does anyone know a good tutorial? i can make the right shapes for abstract light beams and such it just never looks right \ realistic. here are my attempts till i gave up and cried lol -

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I like the one on the right :)

14. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

what should i do about the lighting though?

The one you like with the little beams, they should come our from one whole side right? the smaller one looks alright but the other looks horrible, should it only come from the corner \ the whole side do you think?

15. Red_Death

Red_Death New Member

I like the one on the bottom. It appears like there is one light source behind and in the center of the two holes in tree bark. Looks like the beams are coming from the right place on the second one but the angle is a little sharp. The first one is strange, can't identify what is making the light, looks like flashlights or something (more abstract). Second one is more realistic. Depends on what you're going for. If you want them more realistic, here's an idea to figure them out:

Experiment for determining light angle.
    You might try getting a candle and placing it a foot or two behind a piece of paper that has 2 holes in it about the same size, shape, & location as the ones in you image. Turn the lights down or off. Then imagine that you have a piece of plexiglass in front of your face (vertical-straight up and down) and pretend you are tracing the lines that the light beams travel on (the beams made by the candle light coming through). The angle you would have seen on the plexiglass (if it wasn't imaginary) could be measured with protractor or just hold the protractor up like it was the plexiglass. Then you could type the angle you get on the protractor into the program.

What program(s) are you using?

Also you could try checking out info on Vanishing points.

Nice job on the tree bark and fairies. Looks magical. Nice aura.

Last edited: May 8, 2005