Do people even buy speakers these days? If so which ones?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by kelston, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kelston

kelston Active Member

So i'm still running a set of Klipsch 5.1s from way back when. You know, back in the day when companies still tried to make good speaker systems for PCs before Klipsch stopped and the Logitech Z-5500 stopped being produced as well.

My Klipsch system is starting to go (it gets the power hum whenever it turns on and unfortunately, I don't have the know how to fix it and it may be too expensive to try). And looking around, there seems to be a disappointing lack of suitable replacements. There is pretty much 0 5.1 systems in existence now that seems worth spending money on.

Is this how it's going now? People just buy headsets? I'd like to go that way but I can't stand wearing headsets/headphones for that long before my ears get hot or start to hurt even with super comfortable ones (I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600s).

Is it impossible to have a 5.1 or even a 4.1 system these days now for the PC without building one out of a home theater kit? The problem with that being that the speakers aren't shielded and i'd like to be able to run at least the front set on the desktop. I know M-Audio has their AV40 set but that only comes in 2.0 and i'm not sure how or if those can be extended to a 4.1 setup if I bought 2 sets of those and a sub.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'm in the same boat as you kelston... I'm utterly amazed that all i'm seeing is a torrent of headsets..... and i try a few here and there that claim to have 5.1 audio and 7.1 audio and all these other things.. and i'm just thoroughly disapointed. I only understand the need for something like this when your either sharing a room be it dorm or whatever with 1 or more others.... OR your playing at night or you simply can't afford a decent 5.1 set.

I cannot stand wearing headphones... even the all mighty super expensive super comfortable set simply sucks for me. I hate it...

Never going to let go of my 5.1+ audio system with the nice large speakers that produce a far better quality sound than any headset could hope of dream of.

anywho... I can't get my hands on the logitech Z-5500... i do happen to have 1 set left that is 2nd hand (used personally and treated exceptionally well) that is going on i beleive 3 years old now. Hell the satilites haven't been used for 2 years due to using my own speakers which are rated correctly/matched properly for the being replacements.

The new logitech 5.1 unit out is quite disapointing. Something to be the successor to the 5500's you'd think would mean better.. .but nope.... it's a shittier unit, with a poor controller and a garbage receiver. They actually removed functions and features... how in the hell does that make sense.

I was actually expecting a 7.1 set with a 12" woofer and a rated peak wattage of 1500 as the REAL successor.. with at least 1 hopefully 2 HDMI inputs so that HD master audio could be streamed to it or processing of PCM 8 channel audio.

but nope...

The only real alternative at this point appears to be that our choice is to either settle for the current 5.1 units out there (limited to 0 almost) that are subpar.... OR spend the unnecessarily large amounts of money to build a proper component system.

the sony/jvc/pioneer/samsung/panasonic/etc 5.1 packages out there (it is NOT component solution) are extremely expensive for a decent set and they still CANNOT compare to that of even a z-5500.

I am currently looking at picking up a Yamaha 7.2 amplifier ... and pairing it with my work in progress 18" Junior Earthquake Cerwin Vega IMAX Theater subwoofer that i managed to snag... along with a 10" subwoofer which will be mounted in the back (18" will be at the front)

Combine that with 2x 18" Cerwin vegas in the front both of which have 18"x6" High Fidelity tweeter horns capable of dilivering the higher mids to ultra highs for balance.

I got 2x 12" with 16"x5" high fidelity tweeter hors ...... those will be my rear speakers...

I've made a custom center speaker which uses a pair of 6"x3" horn tweeters combined with 2x 3 1/2" mid tweeters and topped off with a 6x9 for bottom end. Custom 3 way crossover for that bugger.

that'll complete the 5.2 audio solution.

I've more speakers to add for a 7.2... but i have no real place to put the appropriate speakers, i'm well out of room... But i do have a set of MACH 15" sub + 5" mid + 2" tweeter cobinent speakers.... If i had a 9.2 amp, i could have doubled up on the Mach pair .... basically the same speaker but labeled Fisher with a little short/wider cabinent. I just don't have the bloody room for it lol..

Either way That's how i'm going on my next 5.1+ surround solution, unless of course some company does finally launch a decent set somewhere.

3. kelston

kelston Active Member

Thanks for the extremely detailed reply!

I'm absolutely envious of your ability to build your own speaker (one day, i'll endeavor to learn) which would make the option of a center channel easier since getting one seems impossible at a reasonable price (let alone one that's shielded that you could place near a monitor).

You're absolutely right about any of the home theater 5.1 kits. None of them compared to the glory day sets of the 5500 or the Promedia 5.1U (i'm running this one, it's been with me a good 7+ years now I think). I don't know why none of the Logitech successors are better. It pains me looking at them. While Klipsch completely bailed.

It seems you're working with much bigger space than I am though so I think the whole properly shielded thing is less of a concern for you so it sounds like you have more options and the ability to go big (also jealous here too!). I'm limited in space so I think i'm required to go for bookshelf size and they're pretty much positioned really close to my monitor so shielding is a huge issue which limits me. I think that pretty much shut out the ability to look at Audioengine's A2s which I hear are really nice.

4. Judas

I haven't found shielding speakers a real necessity.. i mean a proper speaker will have it's own shielding in the right box to a certain degree..

but i have had completely unshielded speaker right beside my monitor with NO impact.. it's not like the old days in which it you had to be worried about a TV tube or in older monitors that still use the High ouput flourecent tube in the back, LED displays are completely unhindered (for the most part) by speakers, the LCD crystals aren't effected and the circutry appears to be uneffected... i mean they stick speakers along the back of these huge led LCD tvs now that have utterly little to ZERO shielding already.

Now a speaker near a computer may not be the best idea.. but i haven't had to much of a problem.

The room i'm running in is approxiately 7 feet ceilings with i beleive a 12 width by about 18 feet long .... this provides a relatively perfect amount of space for the rear speakers .. the couch is almost 8 feet leaving breathing room between the wall and the couch for a 2 foot speaker wide speaker on each side.

The front has plenty of space on each side for the 3 foot wide Cerwin 18".... the center is hung/wall mounted when i get it finalized.... but currently got a temporary good 2 way speaker on the desk wedged between the monitors and the computer.

I'd like to hang them all... but heavy speakers and poor home construction isn't a wise idea...

I plan on building a new house within the next 5+ years which will accomadate a full 11.2 surround sound system with proper spacing and spacing. It will be a fully function theater...

But space is definitely a pain, i know i start with a 6x8 room for my bed and computer desk... it wasn't even a square room i lost about 2 feet at one end due to the shape of the room being short 2 feet at one end in one corner. The small satalites of the z-5500 are perfect... not too small and not to big and easily wall mounted..

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

My general strategy is to win some in 2010, then keep them forever.

6. Judas

7. kelston

kelston Active Member

I'd love to have some of your problems, Judas. Hah. Being able to set up a room however I want so big speakers could be a reality. But going back to school kills the housing and computer budget.

That's a strategy we all should have employed. There's so much energy being spent on PC graphics... what about the sound? Why did that stop mattering? I blame the Beats by Dr.Dre people.

8. Judas

I can't say i have any REAL problems..... I really have nothing to complain about at all.

9. kelston

kelston Active Member

We have the best kinds of problems. All these speakers to choose from and they are not good enough. /cry

10. RobertBruce

RobertBruce Active Member

I was faced with this problem after my Creative 5.1 system died last year after a decade. Unfortunately I never did find a good replacement, and now i use headphones. Pretty damn good ones from Sennheiser, but it's still not the same. good luck.....

11. kelston

kelston Active Member

It's disheartening. Thank you! I do like headphones. A few years back I spent way too much diving into headphones and ended up with a good headphone setup complete with a dedicated headphone amp (lol) but I just can't wear headphones for hours before fatigue sets in and my ears start to hurt even if i'm wearing the circumaurals that don't touch the ear. I don't really know why.

It seems the one area that got completely ignored and dismissed for some reason. They'll throw out 400 dollar gaming headsets (i'm looking at you Astro), 150 dollar mice, special mechanical keyboards are all the rage, but speakers are no longer fashionable.

12. Judas

but they still sell a pile of pci-ex audio cards like it's no tomorrow.... lol

13. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

14. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

I stop using speakers for years now, mainly because I don't have space for it, other then preferring the use of a good stereo headphone when I listen to music or game.

I used to have a 2.0 setup with a receiver, but I keep it in the closet or usually set it up for the living room HDTV.

The last 5.1 speaker setup I had was some Z-5500s but that was many years ago before I made the switch to a receiver setup.