DOOM 3 Review: A Return to Hell

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by MIG-31, Aug 9, 2004.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

It may be the most anticipated game of all time. It is the sequel to one of the biggest games in history. It's a retelling of the most controversial game ever. It was over four years in the making. Its here, and here is our take on the latest installment of the phenomenon.

Welcome to Union Aerospace Corporation's Mars research outpost. At this highly advanced science station you will see the latest technology through the gameplay of a ten year old shooter. You, a nameless grunt, are sent with administrator Elliot Swann and his bodyguard to investigate the oddities and accidents occurring at this crucial experimental outpost run by Dr. Malcolm Betruger. During the course of your investigation, you will end up seeing some of the UAC most incredible discoveries - including the fusion technology and biology, ancient Martian ruins and Hell itself.

tomshardware

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

3. kalx

kalx New Member

Has the world gone mad, the game is a turd.
    sorry but the times when we concentrated looking at graphics more than the gameplay and fun aspect of the game and of course replay value has left us ???

We are hyponotised with a few clever shadows ( for those with a radeon and feel to save some cash hit www.teamradeon.com and dl the soft shadows demo)
    Really [ID] have to realise that when they planned doom3 they had a lot to live up to , and simply making a 5 hour game is not going to wash.

Games are sucessful mainly based on gameplay / longativity,
    graphics are icing , you have to make the cake tasty first.

Gamers these days expect more replay value after spending 44.99 pounds.

Lets face it doom3 will end up at the end of your shelves soon and may get ressurected by some mods , but id shoudln`t be relying on the work of the comunnity to make thier game last longer than 5 hours.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  4. HawK

HawK Banned

Hmm, if they do this more I might even going to like THG...:hmm:

to stay in the writers mood:

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ~ Source Unknown ~

5. merlinxi

merlinxi The Paranoid Cook

--Before I even begin, I am not yelling at anyone on this board. This is my opinion and my statement, so please do not take it personally.--

The game is still impressive to say the least, and it is fun. Why people have to hurdle it down just to wash out the hype, I absolutely hate that. It took iD 4 years to make this damn game, and it probably wasn't easy. I appreciate the work that goes into a game, and the heart. This game entertains me and makes me wanting to come back for more.
    I am sorry people can't appreciate such a thing as "working their ass off." Why reviews must bring something down over and over again with ONE FLAW. "Oh well this maybe the most anticipated game of the year, BUT." Hmm what game is coming out?soon? that has a lot of hype and looks good, HMM what is it, HALFLIFE 2. I wonder how many reviews are going to go "Well it took X number of years to make this, BUT." or "After all the delays, after all the code stealing, comes the most anticpated game of the decade, BUT."
    Why can't people just say, "WOW that IS a good game, has some flaws, but not enough for a Review to SINGLE OUT ONE OF THEM." That just makes it look like a bad game. Let me challenge the reviewer of topic post (from the link that is) to try to make a game such as Doom 3, put his time and life into it, and create graphics such as that. I believe iD worked their asses off to make a very impressive game. I hate when people can't appreciate something, when they expect "more more more." Even though you have to pay a whole whopping $50.00, that is the standard for every new game, so please don't make that an excuse in your argument.
    Do not flame me, but debate me I would like to hear other opinions.

Merlin

6. kalx

kalx New Member

Tts because of this constant id are the greatest everything they do is revolutionary attitude which means every review is tainted , 5 hours of gameplay is crap.
    Sorry but any other game would have been slated.

Look at one of the best games of all time , Final Fantasy 3 on the Super Nintendo 107 hours of gameplay took them 3 years I believe and wass all contained in 16 mbit.

doom3 = 3 cds
    whole game involves running mostly round one base enclosed 99 % of the time by 4 sides ,
    sorry but if wanted to run down a long dark tunnel i would have found a railway.

And moreso if gamers dont question this , we will be stuck with this quick buck formula forever, nothing in doom3 is new or advanced. If you question this have a look at the pc demo scene , youll find examples of all of carmacks 3D technologies done countless times before in gfx demos.
    Maybe i`m expecting too much for games to be evolutioning on , but with the hype around doom3 I expected more and what i got was something well below the mark . Fair enough they were keeping to the doom theme story , but i tell you know
    doom2 - Tricks and traps level
    that one level
    is more fun than any levels in doom3.
    What dsitrubed me the most was just after the hell level I was really , hoping the whole thing would just end because at that point i was just runnign shooting to get to the end.
    doom3 coudl ahev been amazing with a little more time thought effort
    and some decent level designs
    id is nothign with out jon romero and his level designs
    the level designers they have now they shud sack and find some ppl with some imagination.

7. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Great Review

He told it how it was. :)

Me too. But then I remembered that the original Doom had a mid boss as well. Still a fun mindless horror influenced shooter to me. I'd play it again when I'm bored. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  8. kalx

kalx New Member

anyway sorry for my outburst , the THG review is good and honest unliek the driv3r type reviews seen all over.

doom i played again after complete but doom3 only gets fired up for benchmarks.

9. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

Intresting review and very true.

For me the real letdown is the physics:

The game looks beatiful. I can kind of forgive the AI and I can forgive the simple gameplay and constant spawning enemies and always around corridors but the physics....

pprrr took them 3 year to make the graphics engine but it feels like thats all they did.

in hl2 when you duck behind a wall and people shoot it the wall will break up after a while. every object in HL2 will be an object you can interact with. hell you seen the video of the strider and gordon uses his mad gravity gun to rip a letter of the cinemas name.... dam amazing

in doom3 you have 3dobject which are solid.... and nearly all object are 3d and solid. a hose with gas coming out is solid?? ahh?? what you shoot it and does another hole appear? no...

anyway there will be some better games soon with the doom3 engine. But I do hope DX9 game stay more popular... it just seems after 4 years of making a game in opengl they could have used dx9 and done a quicker better job like crytek... or even stalker..... and hl2.... I think all these are 4 year games and the graphics is amazing and 3d object areobject etc

ALSO what the review says that its hard to get a feel for the 3d world and how big object are compared to you and how far they are away etc ect... DAM HE is so right... this is the only game where I have problems with being in a 3dworld. I thought its just me but he is right

10. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I think you might be confusing the words "engine" and "game".

11. kalx

kalx New Member

4 years to make an engine and 6 months to make some assets and a pair of slippers for john to slip into each night.

12. phishdude

phishdude New Member

i'd like to see someone get through doom3 in 5 hours on their first play.

13. kalx

kalx New Member

its hardly hard to get through it the first time , its actually more of a challenge to manage to die within the first 9 levels.

14. BMG_Cya=-

BMG_Cya=- Banned

Good points by Kalx. Hit things right on the frickin' head, not only
    concerning Doom3, but QUALITY in products in general.

This comment is imo...asinine. I won't name the author...
    First off...I don't by a game to support someone's perpetual Ferrari habit.
    I couldn't give a rat's *** less about John "Cognac...Sir?" Carmack.
    Friggin' rich nerd. Like I care how hard he works. Does he, or would he care
    about how hard I work? Uhhhhhh...no.

Secondly, a game called "working their ass off"...I have one of those...
    it's called a JOB.

That's it. Oh and Open GL blows imo.

15. phishdude

phishdude New Member

i never said it was hard to get through it..im playing it on marine and have yet to get stuck anywhere. im saying that i doubt you beat the game in under 10 hours. if you did then you cheated.

and yes this game is a lot easier than some recent FPS with the inclusion of the quicksave and quickload function.

16. kalx

kalx New Member

Well maybe you just need play FPS games more.

17. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

erg

Hey dudes, I totally converted. doom 3 is trash! liek teh game is so hella stupid and not new teh graphix sucks and john carmck is a looser geek who is so full of hisself. i hate the game becuz it was hyped up and it wassnt good. i hate id becuz everyone thinks there so cool but there not u know.

Oh do u know how cool i am to be on the doom3 bashing bus! RoxXors.

==============

Now, in all seriousness, there are people that decide this game is not for them...that they don't like it, whatever. But it's comments about the hype that SCREAM bashing bandwagon. There are three types of people in the world, people who make choices for themselves...people who are always against something...and people who are always for something.

We already know that Doom 3 is a shitty game/worst FPS ever/braindead/a moneymaking scam/overhyped trash/etc. etc. No one is going to listen to you except for the people that think like you, and your trashing of the game does nothing but enrage those that like it. Heck, you guys probably think I'm some die-hard "every id game is teh roxX0rs!" fanboy...but I'm not. I hated Quake 2 and 3, and didn't care much for Final Doom. But I LIKE the game. I'll shut up about how much I like it if you guys agree to shut up about how much it's the worst FPS ever (and omfg i hoep gabes hl2 kix ass!).

By all means, everyone is entitled to opinions, but a lot of the comments that are being made about this game on the forums seem to be more like flames. I think we've PRETTY MUCH killed this entire subject, but I assume to see a gazillion more "Doom 3 suxX0rs - No way, it's awesomeo!" posts here...sigh.

18. kalx

kalx New Member

Okay dood
    I completed the game it sucked , dont care how many others said this or not , its my opinion sorry if its the popular one by what you say , but i really couldn`t give a fsck.

its mine and ill stand by why the game sucks.

Sorry but i remember a time when quality and not hype made games great!!!

19. alewisa

alewisa New Member

I actually like it. For some reason, it creates a scary atmosphere, and I do get nervous. As ex-special forces there isnt a lot that does scare me, but this game manages to make me jumpy. Personally, I think the audio contibutes in no small way to that.

Ok, the extremely linear gameplay and limited AI are disappointing. Grpahically, the game is gorgeous. The dark atmosphere is effective (and real life training is most often done in condiditons of poor visibillity - we often used to joke that if we went into a hostage rescue situation in conditions of good visibillity would be get it wrong!). But the biggest let down?

Well, one review on the net came close - you can use a flashlight, but you have to relinguish your weapon. Why are all human characters one armed? The cut screens show two arms, so why cant I use my left arm to hold a flashlight???

The first FPS used a single arm - ok, due to hardware limitations of the time. But since then, every games house has been fenced in with an invisible box - all "originality" seems to be making the game immense (you dont come to the edge of the game world) or wholly interactive (every object can be manipulated). But still only 1 arm.....

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

alewisa, how the hell does doom 3 work on the computer in ur sig? :p :rofl: