DOOM3 5.1 w/ Audigy & kX drivs

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by nvx, Aug 5, 2004.

1. nvx

nvx New Member

hey guys...

DOOM3... 5.1... an Audigy... kX drivs in 5.1 direct mode set in Surrounder... 5.1 surround set in Windows XP

*no back channels*

any1 else experience this or have ideas on how to fix? :)

thanks guys...
    -nvx

2. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

Well I kind of have the same problem, except the front center channel doesn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

3. nvx

nvx New Member

btw... i've tried the game w/ rolling back to the newest creative drivers and it does work with 5.1channels perfectly in DOOM3 then... however i really dont want to use those drivers from Creative (obviously) if at all possible :(

4. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

Yeah I switched to these drivers because the creative ones would make it so the sound cut out every ten minutes or so in Doom 3. These ones don't cut out, but they surround doesn't work.

Oh and I was playing today, and I noticed that my rear speakers don't work either. So that's center, Rear Left and Rear Right that don't work.

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

have you set the surrounder to 5.1?

6. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

Yes, the surrounder is at 5.1. Also, the windows audio config is set to 5.1. When I do the test in the Kx control panel thingy, everything works fine. All channels play perfectly. But when I play Doom 3, only the front left/right speakers work.

7. Duke_srg

Duke_srg New Member

I have the same problem. Only have left/right output when selected multichannel in Doom3, while it is clear, that Doom3 output the correct one sound to front channels, because if the sound source is behind you, ther eis no sound at front channels.
    I'm using the same KX config while playing CS with EAX - all 5.1 channels working fine (.1 is combined from all 5 channels via low freq filter)

8. Ulukay

Ulukay New Member

9. Duke_srg

Duke_srg New Member

no change. =(

10. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

ensure that:
    * speaker configuration is set to '5.1' (Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio -> Audio -> Advanced)
    * surrounder is set to '5.1 direct path' ('kX speaker set-up')
    * [check that all the 5 channels are audible via 'speaker test']
    * make sure you haven't tried "kxctrl -shw 18" command, if yes - reset settings and go to step 1
    * disable any EAX effects in the game [if applicable] -- if this fails, try to enable them instead
    * check if 'wave 0/1' is set as your default audio device

E.

11. Duke_srg

Duke_srg New Member

Eugene, do you ever tried doom3 with KX and 6 channels?
    As a said before, i have 6 channels in counter strike with the same config with EAX on.
    Doom3 allows only to choose from 2 and 6 channels. While selecting 6, only front left/right channels.

12. nvx

nvx New Member

i'm guessing this has something to do with the streams available to pick from in the router and the way they are routed in the dsp... i'm not sure tho... i'm no expert at all in using the kx dsp :( any1 with decent amount of knowledge about the kx dsp care to try some stuff in the dsp? glad to see you helping eugene.. thank you.

13. jordanny

jordanny New Member

I've aslo had the same problem with doom3 (live 5.1). All the other games worked fine, but in DOOM 3 I had no sound in rear speakers. I've installed creative drivers, finished the game and now I am back on kx drivers.

14. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I am also experiencing this problem with 3537 on my Audigy 2 and WinXP SP2 (with DirectX 9.0c) with a 5.1 setup - sounds that should be coming from behind me are not audible. I use a custom DSP setup that pretty much routes the DirectSound3D lines directly to the soundcard outputs. Other games that use DS3D (e.g. Half-Life/Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament 2004) work perfectly with my 5.1 setup. Doom 3 is probably making some incorrect assumption about how kX works and will not let us correct it due to its lack of audio configuration options.

UPDATE: Tried DSoundCtrl with no change in results (used their Doom 3 INI file).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  15. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I have np with my doom3 :) Try the new 38's drivers make sure the speakers swap is on

16. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Are you absolutely sure you have no problems? Do you have at least a 4 speaker setup? Can you perform the following test for me:

When someone is talking to you in the game, turn around so he is directly behind you and see if you can still hear him, and if his voice is coming from your rear speakers. On my 4.1 setup, I cannot hear any sounds that are supposed to be directly behind me (or at least they are extremely quiet).

I don't want to commit to the 3538 beta drivers until I know that it will solve the problem because my DSP setup is rather complex and I will also miss a few of the UFX plugins.

17. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Update: I've upgraded to the 3538 development release and still have the same issues with sound in Doom 3.

18. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Update 2: It seems that no matter what I try, Doom 3 uses the Wave 0/1 device instead of using 5.1 DirectSound3D via Wave 4/5, 6/7, and 8/9. I've tried tweaking kX options (5.1 is working in the speaker test, other DS3D apps, and AC3Filter), Windows options (set to 5.1 speakers mode), Doom 3 options (in-game options and config file editing), and I even tried lots of different settings with DirectSound Control: http://www.bockholdt.com/dsc/index.html

Nothing seems to work :(

Perhaps Doom3 is using some DirectX 9.0b/c-specific features that are not properly supported by kX? It's definitely not EAX-related, as Doom 3 doesn't use EAX.

19. Kalevispetke

Kalevispetke New Member

In my case, Doom 3s surround sound option doesn't work, it says surround speakers not connected.
    I have 4 speakers connected (front l/r and rear l/r)
    Surrounder is set to 4.1 and windows multimedia properties -> speaker setup is Quadraphonic. default audio device is Wave 0/1. kx drivers 3537

rear speakers play fine, but it is stereo... no difference in front and back sounds.

20. DMNXS

DMNXS Member

I don't want to butt in, but I just listened to the ratings conference of Doom3 from Germanys GameStar, and heard the complaint that it doesn't detect surround speakers unless you have 5.1 given in the windows setup.

Btw, while you're at the topic of audio not working in games correctly :sigh: , I wondered if it's a known problem in Mafia to not hear any dialog (searched for Mafia already). I hear music, car sounds and other noise just fine, but not the dialog...