Driver Cleaning Process

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Retro_Burn, May 3, 2009.

1. Retro_Burn

Retro_Burn New Member

Hello,

I apologise if there's a post already answering my query. To clarify, the steps I should take when cleaning drivers (with Driver Cleaner of course) involves :-

1. Uninstalling the drivers through device manager
    2. Reboot and use Driver Cleaner to delete driver(s)/Reboot in safe mode and delete driver(s)
    3. Reboot once more.

Is that correct?

Regarding point number two, I'm not sure whether I should always reboot in safe mode, in case there may be a problem?

Thank you,

Retro.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yep. You got the (not so) "official" procedure right. ;)

Even if you aren't using the device in normal mode, or it's not installed, Windows can sometimes still load files that when you try to clean won't be cleaned out since they would be "in use" technically. That's why the second part is important as in Safe Mode a lot of the device drivers normally loaded in normal mode are not loaded.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Best is to open the help file and follow the steps by the instructions, because there it is explained with more details about each step.

4. Flanker

Flanker New Member

As I recall, after you've used the "add and remove programs" funtion in the control panel to remove your old drivers; you always boot into safe mode to use the driver cleaner. The reason being is safe mode renders driver remnants and/or registry entries unlocked (whatever that means) so they can be removed by DC. Though I've been wrong before..........good luck!

5. larissa

larissa New Member

I might give it a try, maybe will boost my windows speed a bit...