DriverCleaner new user.

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Anthony J, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Anthony J

Anthony J New Member

Perhaps a veteran user of DC can give me some expert advice. I used it yesterday for the first time, but am not sure I got it to perform at its best. If I did not, I'd like to re-run it, to make sure I haven't left some "junk" from the old drivers lieing around to slow things down.

I replaced the original ATI 128mb DDR video card in my Dell XPS P4-3ghz with an ATI Radeon-X 1300PRO 256mb DDR AGP card. I used DC to remove the old drivers. Everything seemed to work out with no crashes or failures, but I expected slightly better performance. I'm up and running; however, when I ran DC, I was not completely sure of a few things.

What exactly is Cab Cleaner? Is it included in the DriverCleaner I downloaded? Is that actually the procedure where I was asked to remove "filters"?

As for "filters," when I was in that part, I pulled down a string of lines starting with "ATI." It was not clear to me if I was supposed to clean out all those lines, so I just removed the first one in the list. Should I have removed all the ATI lines?

I apologize if my "new user" questions seem boring to old timers, and will greatly appreciate any good advice I receive. Especially if you think I should remove and reinstall the drivers for my new card.

Thanks,

Anthony

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

It is ok to ask questions.

Cab Cleaner is in Driver Cleaner in the Tools menu. It will remove the ATI and nvidia drivers from the cab files in windows and so preventing windows from copying those old drivers in the windows system folder.

For removing ATI drivers you need to select ATI and also ATI CCC if your previous drivers used the ATI Catalyst Control Panel.

From what you tell it sounds to me you did it right.

Have you allready tried running games with AA and FSAA and see if that makes a difference.

3. Anthony J

Anthony J New Member

Thanks, Spike. In response to your post, I looked in "TOOLS" and found CC. When I opened it, there were three items: ATI drivers, SP1 and SP2. What is the right way to go from that point? Just clear out the ATI alone?

Also, in my original post, I asked about the long list of ATI "filters." Perhaps you could be so kind as to respond to that? As you can see, I'm trying to get a good working knowledge of the program, so I can use it next time with confidence.

Thanks again.

Anthony

4. Spike

Hi,

In Cab Cleaner those cab files are not ATI, they are from windows, but you should clean all 3 and you only need to do it 1 time. Cab Cleaner will always remove the ATI and nVidia drivers from those cab files. Those drivers in there are old.

Here is the list for ATI i start with the filter name and then for what it is.

ATI - ATI Catalyst Driver + Control Panel
    ATI CCC - ATI Catalyst Control Center
    ATI IGP - ATI IGP Motherboard / Chipset Driver
    ATI MMC - ATI Multimedia Center
    ATI HydraVision - ATI HydraVision
    ATI Remote Wonder - ATI Remote Wonder
    ATI TV Wonder - ATI TV Wonder
    ATI WDM - ATI WDM Driver
    ATI Uninstall Utility - ATI Software Uninstall Utility

Hope this helps.

5. Anthony J

Anthony J New Member

Hi, Spike. Thanks again for the comeback. I've printed out your responses, and am saving them for reference.

Once I've got all the wrinkles ironed out, I'd like to uninstall and reinstall the ATI driver for my new card, just to be sure I don't have any trash hanging aound from the previous card. I suspect that some oldies are lingering in there.

In your last reply, you said: "Here is the list for ATI. I start with the filter name and then for what it is." You then listed nine ATI filters.

Are you saying to me that those are the ATI filters I should select manually and clean out when running Driver Cleaner, or leave in?

Thanks for your patience.
    Anthony

(I think it would be very helpful to first-time users of DC if there was available an online illustrated graphic (with text) showing a step-by-step operation of DC removing drivers, from beginning to end, skipping none. Sort of a "Driver Cleaner for Idiots" illustration. It would eliminate a lot of "support-type" Q&A exchanges (like mine) caused by uncertainty over language.

6. Spike

It is indeed a good idea to make some sort of steps with images. In the next update the help file is also completely renewed with images that will also help. After that i will work on a page in the help file for new users with more images and more details.

The filters you should select for cleaning are ATI and ATI CCC, that are the only ones needed for cleaning ATI display drivers.