DriverCleaner / Vista - awesome software

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Durzel, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Durzel

Durzel New Member

Just registered to express my thanks for such a cool utility...

I've been using the free version of Driver Cleaner on XP for quite a while and it seemed to work pretty well.

When I installed Vista I wrongly assumed that I wouldn't need a utility like DriverCleaner anymore. "Surely ATI have sorted out their drivers so they definitely do wipe everything when you uninstall them", I thought. How wrong I was.

I pretty much immediately ran into trouble with the latest ATI Catalyst 7.3 drivers when I first installed them (probably due to a conflict with the standard drivers shipped with Vista). CCC wouldn't work most of the time, and when it did actually open the settings often couldn't be changed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers over and over again with no success. I was going mad with frustration.

Then I bought Driver Cleaner .NET.

5 minutes later I had uninstalled the ATI drivers, gone into Safe Mode, wiped everything ATI related on my system using Driver Cleaner .NET, rebooted & reinstalled the drivers again and everything now works perfectly.

I wasn't sure about spending $9.99 on a piece of software that I didn't know would work properly in Vista but I'm glad I did.. it's already justified its cost to me by relieving me of the huge amount of frustration that was building up!

You guys rock!

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

thank you for posting this, it is good to hear such things.

It is surprising that the drivers still don't fully remove themself or when installing a new driver that they fully remove the old one and then install the new one.

Most problems are caused by old drivers not getting fully uninstalled.

3. Durzel

Durzel New Member

It is very strange. Using the Catalyst Install Manager to remove all ATI software from the computer didn't even remove the "ATi External Event Utility" service! It was there the next reboot even though there were no ATI drivers installed. I consider myself pretty competent with computers so I'm sure there wasn't anything I was doing wrong, plus the uninstall process was pretty much "hands off".

Despite using the standard Catalyst uninstaller and install packages there was no way I could get CCC to function properly. I uninstalled (fully) and reinstalled the package several times but every time I rebooted I would get the following:

[​IMG]

..and CCC wouldn't start if I tried to load it manually.

Driver Cleaner .NET fixed all of this, and if I hadn't used it I can't see how I could have possibly restored my system to a working condition without spending a lot of time deleting files manually and hoping that I didn't delete something critical.

When I booted into safe mode and ran Driver Cleaner .NET (after having already uninstalled the drivers completely - or so I thought) it removed quite a lot of files and registry entries. I guess some of this was the original ATI driver that ships with Vista because when I rebooted it didn't fallback to that driver anymore, I just got a 640x480 desktop and a message saying that there was no compatible device driver found... but that's what I wanted to see! :)

It's amazing that your software does a job that ATI should really be doing themselves. If their own software can't uninstall itself fully and properly when you tell it to, maybe they should be paying you guys royalties for providing this service to their customers!

4. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

Thank you guys too! I used it when it used to be free... and now I have for it again! Thanks guys!