Driverheaven Source Benchmark

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Stuart_Davidson, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronbond

aaronbond Member

hmmm

hahaha i found this very funny. VR-Zone Test SEtup

Hardware Setup:

• AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    • MSI nForce 3 Ultra Platinum (Socket 939)
    • 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200XL Series (2-2-2-5)
    • ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition
    • ATI Radeon X800 Pro
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Standard
    • ATI Radeon 9800XT
    • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
    • ATI Radeon 9600XT
    • Western Digital 36Gb Raptor

Drivers, and Operating System Setup:

• Windows XP Professional SP1
    • VIA Hyperion 4in1 4.53
    • Detonator 61.77
    • Detonator 65.62
    • Catalyst 4.8
    • Desktop resolution 1024x768x32, 75Hz
    • DirectX 9.0b

Last I checked you don't install 4-in-1's with an Nforce board.:rolleyes: This invalidates their whole test. I thank Ver for taking time out of his life to do this bench. I'm an Nvidia fan myself, but it's plain to see that ATI is going to beat it out anyways and I think that was the point we're all seeing. There may be something that he has set diff. then you have set diff. Or it's something you optimized that he hasn't optimized, but hey @ the end o' the day ATI still beat Nvidia on this round. :) I've been a DH forum viewer for 9 months and I just had to get in on this fun. Thanks... Peace...

2. Demigod

Demigod New Member

Very true but I would still be happy with 10/7 with 2aa and 4/6af or as I used to play on a 9800 10/7 0aa 8af

3. Kamel

Kamel New Member

thanks for the benchmarks. i am personally an nvidia fan, i wont try to hide that. these benchmarks do seem a bit off. i'm not saying they actually are, because i am no way qualified to make that assessment, lol. i hope to see results from other websites to compare results and see if they really are that far off.

i am curious what will happen, however. as ati did with doom3, i'm sure there will be tweaks and driver updates etc which will increase the speed of nvidia cards.

by the way, first post here. didn't sign up just to post this, i just happen to notice i had not signed up here. nice place you have here :). this is probably not a very good place for my first post, however, lol. i use kamel on all the other boards though, so don't think i'm the person who's just signing up to cause trouble with a single post then leaving; it will be much harder to get rid of me than that :p

i do agree with the board administrator earlier who stated "you're not a reviewer of a highly respected place" -- i agree totally with that. who in their right mind on a review site would post falsified results under the public eye? if the results are flawed, the people who would be hurt by that most are those who made them, so i'm sure even if they are not accurate, it was definitely not on purpose or anything remotely close to that. i would say the person conducting the benchmarks did everything possible to have the most accurate and reliable results as possible.

thanks again for the benches, interesting results :).

4. Turry

Turry New Member

I only wish that the game would come..... SNIF....

5. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

This is a text book example on the right way to post in a forum. Note the author's admission of being a fan of the compitition to what this website endorses, but still gets his subjective and respective opinion of the topic across.

6. creedamd

creedamd New Member

That's because Kamel's cool like that!

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

it shows maturity, quite a rare commodity in this industry - this thread had verification of that.

8. HardwareHeaven

9. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

There are a lot of mature posts, they just get overshadowed by the horde of fanboyish posts. :( Certainly, we've removed the worst of them, but it only took 13 some odd pages of posts to get this thread onto the subjective tone. Good work, dudes :)

10. creedamd

creedamd New Member

/offtopic for a sec

that has to be the coolest fucking pic in you avatar/sig, links to hi res??

/on topic

Thanks for the time investment on the benchmarks, I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

11. HardwareHeaven

more users removed due to multiple accounts under the same IP.
    Hint to staying on DH, make your point in a constructive and mature manner, then move on. multiple accounts to further verifiy your "point", or flaming will now result in IP banning and closed accounts.

12. Sgt_Pitt

Sgt_Pitt New Member

im sure the new half life and counterstrike will run just fine on my pc, anything extra is moot.

13. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

three words for ATI.On The Ball!!!My main gameing rig is in Miami at Alienware having a "tune-up".I came soooo close to installing the nVidia card over the x800.Looks like I made the right choice.

14. HardwareHeaven

its quite amusing from a personal viewpoint that we have posted information in the past showing Doom3 to be running better on Nvidia hardware in comparison to ATI hardware, when we did so our ATI user base constructively handled this and discussed possible patches, forthcoming fixes and debated the manner in a mature fashion all over our forum. Just as I would expect enthusiasts to behave.

The minute Stuart runs tests showing ATI hardware to be running Counterstrike source in a superior manner to Nvidia hardware we have every fanboi and flamer from the internet all over it like a rash - as a fellow NV user I find this quite embarassing and im glad to see some very mature Nvidia users holding their heads high in the face of such immature behaviour, very few of the "new" guys here actually know alot of the head staff here own nvidia hardware, such as myself, I run a quadro FX board for my professional rendering work and love it - which incidentally Nvidia gave me.

Ive every faith in stuart to run comparitive benchmarks on hardware, if he failed in this area we wouldnt be so inundated with hardware we have to turn a sizeable percentage back to the manufacturer due to time constraints.

Some people are failing to notice, you will be able to play games with this engine at a high resolution with a X800 pro/XT, 6800 ultra, GT or even the LAST generation of boards without a hitch. Just the way you could with Doom 3 -even with ATIs weaker Opengl performance. Maybe im getting too old for this, but I fail to see this insane obsession with frame rate and needing to have verification that the hardware you spent your money on must run everything "faster than everything else" preferably at 200fps.

With regards to the commentary on stuarts benches , ill be chatting with him over the coming week and we will be running more tests on various drivers.

The game looks good though doesnt it? Has anyone missed that fact? ;)

15. Poppi

Poppi DH Admirer

I still need to clean up the drool on my keyboard with the last high res. movie of HL2 I examined :drool: :drool: :drool: .

16. swatX

swatX ba|\|\|ed

17. HardwareHeaven

more accurate meaning basically it "suits" the card in your title and giving further weight to my last post.

this thread is done, same links, same people. when we have more to add we will post more, for the time being those who feel this site is biased to the particular hardware in their machine would be well advised to find another site. To the people who contributed to this thread and the great points expressed by the more intelligent nvidia users, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.