Driverheaven Source Benchmark

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Stuart_Davidson, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Ok, seriously. Can we at least stay on topic here?

2. Hamidxa

Hamidxa New Member

And on that note, since its already pretty well established that 3DC will play a part in HL2, my question is, does it play a part in this so called stress test to any extent?

If not, the potential for a much larger performance delta is even more so there.

If so, then i can imagine it will be used yet more extensively still in the actual game what with actual character models and more elaborate structures making use of it.

Either way, win-win.

But my initial question still stands.
    Is 3DC applied? If so, to what extent?

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I dont benchmark at that res unless the game doesnt support 1280x1024, stuart does because he prefers the true 1280x960 4:3 mode (as do many ive spoken to) - we have differing views on it, but unlike yourself im open to others views and opinions on the matter and let him benchmark how he feels.

4. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

OK can we have another hardware site do some benchmarks now... they had plenty of time....

5. skirkham

skirkham New Member

dude i accept your answer, but theres no need for a personal attack just because i asked some questions (if it not a personal attack you might want to correct what you said)
    is thats the way you welcome new people who come to a forum to find out more infomation and discuss things reasonably ?
    please feel free to point out where what i asked was closed minded, and i will correct any mistakes in the way it written

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  6. ZOMB13

ZOMB13 New Member

My system is pretty similar to the test system:

AMD FX-53, 1 gig Corsair RAM, PNY Geforce 6800 Ultra, default settings (1024x768)= 144.36 fps

ALL SETTINGS MAXXED - AA= 6X AF=16X Water set to Reflect all, no vsync, 1600X1200 ran VST 3 times got: 71.84 72.99 72.3

7. Demigod

Demigod New Member

The above is just showing the max aa on the cards( my 6800 cant do 6aa its 4aa or 8ss) its a little misleading but the 4aa scores are comparable.

8. Hanners

Hanners New Member

There is no 6x AA on the 6800 (Set in-game anyway).

9. Demigod

Demigod New Member

I think you can force it with riva tuner?

10. ZOMB13

ZOMB13 New Member

I just set the advanced options to as high as they would go for each option and then benched it 3 times. I don't really care one way or the other as I am perfectly happy with my results as I only play at 1280 default settings anyways and it runs slick. Numbers just didn't seem to jive well with me is all. I saw these benches posted at the shack and did a double take because they were WAY different then what I got. At 1600 6xaa,16xaf the x800 didn't seem to crack 70fps from what I saw on the first page.

11. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Dude, you've really missed out a lot as I kid havne't you? :rolleyes:
    First of all, I haven't heard of the Doom 3 technology licensed yet and call of duty 3? When the 2 doesn't exit... Okay now that's just weird and sad :sigh:

And the cards cost less? Let me check right now here in Europe (in my God's Country :D ) and the difference is of abt 50$$$... Not much IMHO but don't forget that the 6800 Ultra needs 2 molex connectors... NOt the X800XT so those 50$$$ go for a new PSU... Meaning the same...

You do us a favor please, read the thread... IN the beginning he MENTIONED max settings possible on both cards... Just to see... Not really a comparasion! Anyways that's my 2 cents!

12. cypher_138

cypher_138 Watching 1984 unfold

I knew I would have regretted getting a 6800GT over the X800XT PE. Chalk one up to following my gut instinct a resisting my compulsive tendencies. :cool:
    With the way ATI's drivers evolve it's only gonna get better.
    Now to find one at a good price.:D

13. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

what i say to nvidia?

DEMOLISHED!

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

thread cleaned - keep it clean or pack your bags.

15. Demigod

Demigod New Member

Sorry to be a nag but is there any info on 3dc in this? It should look a bit better than dxtc5 and run faster

16. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

well, as siad before, it is just a little impossible to get a fair comparission on newadays games, as some will have optimizations to one or another card, its just unfair, but ohh well, thats what competition is about lately -.-

17. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

3Dc and HL2 will be enabled. I don't see reason why it wouldn't be. Valve and ATI are really tight with HL2 so it's just an expected move.

This article from NeoSeeker's Preview of the R420 show some HL2 screenshots with and without 3Dc

18. Surfer2374

Surfer2374 New Member

My results

My specs:

p4 [email protected]
    1/gig ram
    6800gt
    dx9.0c
    winxp sp1

1600x1200 4aa and 8af: 53fps(vs 50fps from this site)
    1280x960 4aa and 8af: 82fps(vs 60fps from this site)
    1024x768 4aa and 8af: 95fps

Nvidia's optis are on, aa and af set to application-controlled, and yes reflect all is on in game settings everytime.

While I'm sure the Ati cards will turn out to be faster I don't think the people with the nvidia cards have much to worry about. I'm not sure what is wrong with the benchmarks from this site, but they don't jive with what I'm getting. His bench at 1280x960 with 0aa and 0af makes sense I'm getting the same results, but the delta there while rather large I think nvidia can make up for in future driver revisions seeing as how this is really a new architecture for them where as the x800 is really still based on the 9700 architechture. I think in this case Ati's drivers are showing their maturity. I think Ati's cards are definately the winner but I would just like to see a true representation of Nvidia's performance.

19. RVachon

RVachon Genuine Crazy Canuck

Wow you got faster numbers than the x800XT and a faster CPU..Amazing..LOL

20. LeGreg

LeGreg New Member

3DC isn't enabled in HL2 right now because it makes absolutely no visual difference compared to regular dxt5 compression. Even if ATI pays them I doubt they will easily come with a case where the compression difference are that obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.