Driverheaven Source Benchmark

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Stuart_Davidson, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surfer2374

Surfer2374 New Member

I think there might be a bug with the test or at least the engine. I don't think it always took my settings when I tried to enable aa and af. Anyway I adjusted my fps to what now I think is a true representation. 1600x1200 seems right to me and I'm still showing a rather large discrepancy at 1280x960. Something is definately going on with these benchmarks and I'm clearly not the only one that thinks so.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

3. kanibuds

kanibuds New Member

Ok, we all know its safe to say these benchies are pretty biased. I personally ran at 1600x1200 8xAA 16xAF at stock 6800u settings and original buggy bios and still got better frame rates than you guys did on a hooked up fx53 rig? hmmm:drool: We all know ati has poured money into hl2 and will definatley be a better dx card but, cmon now? you didnt have to go and do this to make yourself feel better after doom3 did ya? IMO my 6800 will play HL2 & CS:S with all the goodies on with ease....now, god forbid once some good drivers come out.....

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

dig. how about passing that over here?

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I said the same thing here- http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=424015&postcount=61
    It's the only thing I could think of, but i don't doubt the benchmark for 1 second-
    I have seen every single benchmark on this site for the past 2 years and these guys don't give a rat's behind who wins the benchmark, their goal is to produce accurate and correct results and show them to us, the community.

Anyone that thinks DH is purposefully fudging the marks to make one company look better are not very well informed about the kind of people running this site and doing the benchmarks..

If anything it would be better for everyone if the NV card did better, because then ATI would be forced to put out faster drivers sooner and better/ faster hardware. After all it is a competition and competition is good for everyone, most of all us, the consumers who shell out real cash for this kind of hardware..

I'm sure the marks Veridian3 got are exactly the marks that are listed in the benchmark and that he did absolutely everything to make it as fair as possible- that's the way these guys are, any proof to the contrary? Please show it. (not directed at you Surfer- only the first sentence is)

*After all the hinting and innuendos, it is time someone tell it like it is, and that is what I just did. Got a rebuttal? Lets hear it.

6. SHAD0W

SHAD0W BANNED

7. Demigod

Demigod New Member

They are benching the stress test that valve updated cs s to include this morning. Same ad DH

and if you look here
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half-life2_vst/page5.asp
    2nd graph down you will see they get 75fps with a gt as the same settings that DH get just over 60(the graphs are a bit hard for exact numbers)

In fact dh is at a lower resolution but the xt score it (assuming that it is showing 100fps like it seems to on the dh graph) is only 2fps different than fireing sqd. The cpus arent that different either fx53 v a64 3800.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I would love to say my results are wrong for that 1280x960 bench but i'm still consistently getting the same result on 61.77... 65.62 is still in the 70s too.

Seems that other than that Gamers Depot and Firingsquad have roughly the same results as me. So hopefully that resolves things for people calling us bias.

I've asked Valve if 3dc is being used.

9. Demigod

Demigod New Member

Thanks.
    But reageding the rsults I cant say Im disapointed with what I think Ill get, It seems very playable to me.

10. fish99

fish99 New Member

You are reading that graph wrong. The X800XTPE score (on DH) is about 92 and the 6800U is about 63. So DH scores are about 10 fps lower for both cards.

11. digitalemperor

digitalemperor New Member

Firingsquad shows much higher numbers for 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF than you are showing for 1280x960 @ those settings. After taking some time to look at the various benchmarks I think the only real "large" difference in framerate between what i've seen from my own benchmarks and what i've seen in other reviews is at that 1280x960 4xAA/8xAF setting. If you honestly only get 62fps then I am extremely happy with my system as I am getting much higher on a lower end system. ;)

12. SHAD0W

SHAD0W BANNED

Everyone relax and go look at what people with no job or GF do.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=795831

Pretty sweet if ya ask me.

Enjoy at least someone is being productive over a game rather than a fanboy at war with the world.

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well I dont know about anyone else, but it would take a hell of a lot more than running a source benchmark to make me feel good after playing through and beating doom3. The interactive "engine" and let down of 2004.

14. RVachon

RVachon Genuine Crazy Canuck

Well, you got one thing right; that guy does need to get laid.:rofl:

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I think that guy is freaking talented- I didn't have time to read the thread, but GF/Job or not, the guy is creating an amazing case-mod...

16. SHAD0W

SHAD0W BANNED

Think ya missed where i said pretty sweet :p

best part is anyone can do that...just takes time & money...and airbrush helps a lot(more money).

17. swatX

swatX ba|\|\|ed

The most ATI biased benchmark EVER!

18. Sk0t

Sk0t New Member

Hi, first post here.

I would really like to thank you for doing this benchmark. :)

I would also like to point out that I do not for a second belive that the numbers are "fake" or otherwise manipulated.

However, I must say I think something is wrong somewhere (not neccesarily with DH's benches)

In order to compare the benchmarks, I chose the 1600x1200 | 4xAA | 8xAF as this setting was used in all three benchmarks. Now looking at the results for this setting I se:

Site............. .CPU...X800XT..6800U..6800gt..X800pro

Driverheaven ..FX-53....72........50......-............-
    Gamers-depot .P4-3.4...69........55.....50..........51
    Firingsquad .....3800+....80........63.....57..........66

fx. a 26% increase in 6800u's performance going from a FX-53 to a amd64 3800+ it just dosent make sense :confused:

And howcome Gamers-depots 6800gt @370mhz scores 50fps, while firingsquads 6800gt @350mhz scores 57fps, again - it dosent make sense, even with the diffrence in cpu's, right ?

So, buttomline, can we even trust this VST thing, or is it simply handing out too inconsitent results ?

ps. does anybody have any "authorative" info on wheather valve will use 3dc exclusivily for performance gains, or if they will include higher detailed normal.maps or other textures? (askin cause the latter my change my future buying decision from 68000gt towards an ATI)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  19. swatX

swatX ba|\|\|ed

also i ran VST twice first i got 30fps the second time i got 27fps!

settins were 1024/768 2xAA 4xAF video card a radeon 9800 340/280

20. SHAD0W

SHAD0W BANNED

is there a point to that opinion? I could counter with well DOOM 3...

Speaking of which...the hype from that game seems to of died down...I don't see any cool mod post or anything for it.....:sigh:

AvP mod cmon!

And guy posting about FPS differences...what driver versions were they using...

I believe FS and DH were using 61.77...but maybe had different settings enabled/disabled...nvidia drivers are horrible for benches...theres like so many diff versions and the performance can go wacko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.