DVD Software

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by IamLakota, Jan 21, 2006.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I've been using Cybelink Power DVD 6 Deluxe software to watch/play my DVD;s on my PC,but was wondering if there is different software that is better more stable than this.My reason for asking is "all" the DVD's I play/watch,play fine and smooth through the first half of the movie then they hang up and the hard drive seems to just run and run ( HD light just stays on and on doesnt flicker and evertything is locked up for some times up to 30/40 seconds).I've updated the software with patches from Cyberlink,still the problem persist.Was wondering if the ATI MMC,player/decoder was better or not?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

VLC media player is what i use to watch dvds,vcds,avis,mpegs,and every other type of video and i've always had trouble with ati mmc never used cyberlink tho

3. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

I had cyberlink 6 on my old pc. I didn't have the same problem as you but still it was problematic and i simply didn't like it.

On my new pc i have Nero Showtime which came with a Nero 6 OEM package with my new pc and works great with a very smooth dvd playback

4. Eck

Eck New Member

Hmm, I had that with some Netflix rented Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD's. (I Love Buffy!)

But you say it's happening with all your DVD's? I tried playing the problematic DVD's on my old APEX on my TV, and the parts that froze or went real slow on my computer with PVD 6 Deluxe AND ATI DVD Player would hang slightly, but then go on. Jeez, those old cheap APEX DVD players play anything!

So I found that since the APEX hung a little, those DVD's are either damaged, needed cleaning (tried, didn't help) or are just mastered wrong.

Make sure XP hasn't switched you back to PIO Mode on the channel your DVD drive is on. Check in Device Manager to see if it still says DMA if available and lists the mode as one of the DMA modes.

XP counts up the errors and eventually automatically switches you to PIO Mode. (Slow.)

If it's in PIO, you can try toggling DMA if available to PIO, rebooting, then toggling it back to DMA if available and rebooting again. If that doesn't work, then right click the channel (secondary, whichever your drive is on) and choose Uninstall. Reboot, and XP by default will set the new found channel to DMA.

Then see if your DVD's still mess up.

This doesn't sound like a player problem. It could be the IDE cable or the drive if it's not the DVD being dirty or badly mastered.

5. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Thanks for the replys my friends and Eck,I will check that dma/p10 setting out tonight and let you know what it's set at.

6. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

check out win dvd 7 I have np with it :)

7. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

I did check out windvd7 right now have the trial version,so far so good. Hopefully though come next friday we are moving out of this tiny trailer and into an apartment,whewww,...then the dvd's will be played on the sony dvd player and the surround sound will be hooked up and I wont have to use my pc for movies any longer.