DVDROM woes.... please help ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by XSgore, May 10, 2002.

1. XSgore

XSgore New Member

Hi, I need help with my RPC2 DVDROM Drive, wondered if anyone here can help me..

I had an Artec 16X40 DVD/CD ROM drive for xmas, and have since discovered that it is RPC2 only, hence I cannot play region 1 DVD's (boohoo to the DVD developers, isn't this against the international trade thing?)

I had later discovered that this model is listed on http://www.firmware.fr.st :

Artec/Ultima DHI-G40 (16X/40X)

I was consequently directed to this site :

http://wald.heim.at/sherwood/530742/dvd/artec/index.html

And I downloaded the file 1p21.bin. I since patched the drive, yet the software counter is still changed when i modify the region code through software, and now im down to 0 changes :(. I'm not going to bother formatting, since the 0 code is stored in the drive somwehere? and read by windows upon reformatting.

Am i now doomed into region 2 only now?? I think i may have patched it with the RPC1 firmware, when i should have used the RPC2.

Am i too late??? someone please shed some light ;-)

GT - a man in pursuit of RegionLess freedom!!!

2. XSgore

XSgore New Member

jeezus. Native 666 B*itch

Ok ok ok, so i'm told this is supposed to be a forum of helpful professionals, and what have we got???

Native 666 B*itch

what is going on. I am most disgusted by this tone of reply. I'm asking for help and this is what i get. If you dont want to help, dont reply! but dont waste MY time or anyone elses time with your crap!

People like you are what really spoil forums like this!!!!

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re: jeezus. Native 666 B*itch

Most of us here are professional and friendly - don't let this plonker put you off.

Unfortunately, I've got no experience with modding DVD's either through chips or firmware "upgrades", so I can't be much help :/

4. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Woah that was a long read....

Well... i can tell you one thing... as long as the drive sitll works... e.g. the BIOS isn't totally fragged... you can keep flashing it until you find a BIOS that works for you.

Although i gotta say that you should listen to the guys on the http://wald.heim.at/sherwood/530742/dvd/artec/index.html
    Flashing any Bios is painful/dangerous

If you are not satisfied with your DVD drive get another one... that is simplest... even though it may seem like a hassle.

5. XSgore

XSgore New Member

Cool

Wow, your mod's are cool ;)

Hehe, yes, the drive is ok, i.e. it's not borked.

And yes, I DO understnad the potential ill's of flashing, but I have flashed stuff before, and i've *touch wood* been OK.

One thing i'm still unclear on is the Region Code in windows... once that hit's 0, am i stuffed ??

XSGoreT

6. Yeti

Yeti New Member

I'm pretty sure you can change the region code no matter what.
    If its zero right now that means you can play only DVD's that were created with any specific region codes or zero codes.

I personally have never had this problem so all i can say is keep trying.

Oh and if you are trying to play a dvd and you can't .... just download the movie off of kazaa. :)

good luck... sorry i wasn't of more help

7. curiophile

curiophile won't you be my neighbor

Native isn't a moderator here or even on the staff - so I don't know how you can say his post reflects on the professionals here.

8. XSgore

XSgore New Member

good point curiophile

Sorry, but your right.

My apologies to all moderators.

Just got a little upset due to his remarks.

Anyway, i think i was a bit unclear in my original post, it's actually locked to region 2, with 0 changes left :-/

GT

9. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Well... you've exceeded my levle of knowledge.

I think these guys might be able to help you out though.

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/

If not then feel free to flame me. I'll try and forward any info that i find to ya.

good luck :)

10. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

The hassle is NOT worth it. Trust me. Also, Artec makes very crappy drives. Do yourself a favor and buy a region 1 fully working top-quality Toshiba for like 45 bucks at newegg. I don't know where you can find a bios for an Artec drive. I know of a couple of modchip type accessories to region-free your drive, but that stuff is too much work and not worth the money unless you import. I'd recommend you just buy a new drive. (and possibly return the current one).

11. XSgore

XSgore New Member

Result!

Hi all,

just an update on my developments. I have found the correct firmware, and patched it, so if i use the count up again, i'll just re-flash it :).

the Artec is based on a cyberdrive, and what makes it so crappy?? I've ripped a full 7.8Gig DVD in about 12 minutes, nearly 20,000,000 per second, hardly crap for me!. I've just bought a DTS 5.1 Surround system to go with it, when i get the correct coaxial lead sorted for it, it will ROCK!. Dolby Pro Logic mode is sweet, but it will get better :)

Cheers for all u're help

Gorebrush of Tripwood

12. Yeti

Yeti New Member

13. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Re: Result!

well, SOME ARTECS are crappy. However, cyberdrive, imo, is a very good company. I guess you're lucky you didn't get a crappy one :) .