E7200 overclocking help.

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by blibbax, Mar 20, 2011.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Last night, totally randomly, my E2220 died. Wouldn't even post. I knew that it was my CPU as opposed to anything else because I have spares of every other component (including motherboard etc.) that I was able to swap in to check.

So, today I drove to a friend's university digs and picked up his old E7200. My rig instantly worked fine, and passed 2 hours of prime 95 at stock settings, without breaking 55 degrees.

Now, my friend used to run this E7200 in a P35 board at 3.16GHZ with no tweaks other than +0.02V NB and +0.04V Vcore. This was with the stock cooler.

I was able to hit 2.9GHZ rock solid without any voltage tweaks, or disabling any features - just by lowering the RAM multiplier.

To go further, I set the RAM to 800MHZ with crazy slack timings, just so that that wouldn't be a limiting factor. However, even with Speedstep etc. disabled, +0.04V NB, +0.04V VTT, +0.04V PLL and +0.15V CPU I cannot get it stable at 3.16GHZ.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance, Blibbax.

(P.S. I'll be sure to blog about this here at some point, stay tuned :p)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Every rig is different, you know this. What he may hit you may not. Not same mobo, not same ram, etc etc etc. You know the schpeel.

I would unoverclock everything but the CPU and just do the old trial and error method with small OC increments and then testing.

Edit: Blibby, it is best to OC when not drunk. Just...fyi.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That's what I've done, but it runs out of steam at 2.9GHZ, and then won't go any further regardless of what I throw at it.

I understand that every rig is different etc., but I wouldn't expect a 45nm Intel chip with a decent motherboard and PSU to run out of steam below 3GHZ (the same board and motherboard that sent my lower stock clocked 65nm chip to 3.4GHZ for benching), tis highly unusual. Was wondering if there's something important I've totally missed.

4. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Did you pray to the overclocking gods?

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'll resort to that later, not got the regeants yet.

EDIT: I've overcome the issue. I'm not quite sure why it's worked, given that it wasn't necessary on the old chip, but using the "strap FSB to MCH" setting rather than manually setting a lower RAM multiplier seems to let me hit whatever OC I fancy :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
    synthesis204 likes this.