Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Oct 3, 2011.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm also bugless so far apart from that one quest - which I accidentally completed part of before starting it, so that's not really a mod-related or graphical issue.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I meant to say I haven't played the game withOUT this highres official pack.

3. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

i'm running the high-res pack fix mod from nexus and everything's fine. I honestly can't recall the last ctd *surreptitiously knocks on wood* :)
    the only mod i'm using is one that adds a bunch of new very nicely modeled swords

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Is it possible to install the Official HD pack then the Mod HD Texture pack overtop to get all the improved textures that the mod misses? I don't want to install the Bethesda pack if it's just going to override with worse textures.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

There is a way where you have to override the way Skyrim loads files (the old way of using the [Archive] section of the ini files to load user mods). What you do is have Skyrim load the user mods FIRST, then the high res packs. How exactly is the part that's sketchy as I'm reading too much conflicting posts, or posts that seem to be missing steps. Specifically, what to do with the High Res packs (repack them to fix the improperly spelled folders/files, or repack them into new user bsa files).

Couple threads of interest: HERE and HERE.

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Sounds like someone needs to just release a mod containing a mix of both official and modded HD textures :duh:

7. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

here is what I have gathered on the load order of BSA files, BSA files with esp activators, and loose files. Original info here from Wyre Bash guru/maintainer LoJack [!IMPORTANT] BSAs and You - Bethesda Softworks Forums

1. BSA files without ESP activators load first ( Like the original install ones) Their load order is determined by the archive section in the skyrim ini.
    there are 2 lines because there is a character limit to each line, i believe it was 255. Only the 2 lines are usable, you cannot add a sResourceArchiveList3 or anything beyond the 2 lists.

2. Loose files in the DATA directory are loaded second, loading over anything the same from the BSA files in the skyrim.ini. ( the regular behavior we are all used to)

3. BSA files with an ESP ( such as the HD texture DLC) load after the previous 2 steps. This is the problem with these, letting the DLC load over top the loose files.
    there are a few solutions to this. The 1st and easiest is to simply uncheck any ESP files that are associated with the BSA (the DLC), then add the BSA name to the sResourceArchiveList in the order you want them to load.
    ex.
    alternatively you can just unpack the the 2 BSA files and use them as loose files with BSAopt. Then backup your current loose textures folder, move the new loose DLC files into the texture folder, and overwrite with you original loose mod files.

Seems steam is all trashed up at the moment for me as well, all online function seem not available.

here is the thread I am following on the optimization of the total package and fixing of file structure/dds errors. [WIP] Bethesda's Hi-Res DLC Optimization - Bethesda Softworks Forums

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Trusteft

I finished Oblivion and went back to Skyrim.

2 questions, not sure if it is just me or not.

a)Is there a mouse smoothing or something? It feels a bit strange.

b)When I look at something bright and then at something a bit (or more) dark, it takes a second to be able to actually look at it. Is this how it is supposed to be, or my monitor can't keep up? lol

9. [hobo]eclipse

A) you may give DXtory a try and limit your fps to 59. there is some kind of bug that i am not aware of the ins and out about, but basically even with vsync on and ATI hardware, the FPS still shoot up past 60to the 64 range. setting the fps limiter in dxtory to 59 keeps it in check.

also the setting flip que size lower than 3 (available in radeon pro), may help some of the input lag.

B) thats a dynamic contrast type thing in game. you are probably seeing it as intended by the developers. there has been a lot of complaints about it, and mods to try to get rid of it.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Personally, I thought the dynamic contrast feature was a cool one to have. It's very close to how it is when going from a bright sunny day into a room that's not lit up at all. And, the opposite is also true...going from a dark area into the brightly lit area causes some time to adjust.

As for the mouse issue: I can't even begin to address that as I'm using my 360 controller to play. BUT, even with the controller, I've noticed that some actions don't respond immediately. Example: Starting a conversation with someone, quite often I have to press the action button again to get the conversation option to come up. Otherwise, though, things seem to work quite well in areas like combat. (I just wish the combat was more like it is in The Witcher/The Witcher 2. Melee combat in this game is very, very annoying to me...especially when in first person view.)

11. Trusteft

The issue I have with the dynamic contrast is that a)it takes too long, b) it exists when it doesn't make much sense, c)it's too...powerful.

I am getting used to the mouse, but not for the options, inventory, dialogue tree. It's too easy to not pick the right one because of how it is. I now use the keyboard for everything like that.

12. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

yeah the mouse isn't great you just start getting used to doing alot of menu navigating by keyboard. There's a mod that makes a much better menu system: Skyui or something like that but I haven't tried it myself. I find the adjusting to light and dark somewhat realistic, if also annoying.

13. Trusteft

I am trying to roleplay my eh character. My character is a Redguard fighter, try to rely more on two handed sword and for long range when I absolutely have to, a bow. No magic at all. Basically I try for a Conan type of character. At least the Arnold version. I am still not sure if I am going to rely on heavy armor or not. It both makes sense and doesn't. For the moment, I use it. For healing, I try to carry with me as much food as possible, either ready to eat or cooked by myself. I have a couple of health potions, but I hope I will stop using them sooner or later.
    The game, so far, is of a different class than Oblivion. In Oblivion I was bored most of the time and felt like I was doing chores even with the better missions. Here I am asked to be a delivery boy to bring pizza to some old folks and I get excited. Well done Bethesda, well done.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Just decided to start a new toon. Of course this meant that my autosave file and quicksave file on my original character were overwritten. I hadn't made an actual save since level 29...

15. Trusteft

toon? Save games....I find myself whenever I start a new character in an RPG to test things out or to have more than one, I tend to never again play my previous characters. Any chance you are like that? Or perhaps try to convince yourself you are like that so that you don't feel bad about it. :)

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

toon=character

I normally have a main character that I continue to play more than the others, but then a few that are a bit different that I play for variety from time to time.

In this instance, however, having lost so much progress on the "main", I might abandon it altogether rather than frustratingly do much of the same stuff again.

17. [hobo]eclipse

You may or may not be aware of the .bak backups automatically made for the autosaves. They will be in saves folder with alll the other saves, but with a .bak extension rather than .ess. Depending on how far you progressed with the new character one of them may be available for you.

18. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

How do I go about opening them, given that they don't appear in my Skyrim load menu?

19. [hobo]eclipse

im assuming you just have to delete the .bak extension, making them .ess files again. i've never actually messed with them, i've just seen the files in the save directory. first i'd move all the other saves out of the directory, then rename the backups, only deleting the .bak

20. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

From what I recall, this is the correct answer.