Emirates could replace windows with fiber-optic cameras

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by Calliers, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Soon it might not matter if you're an aisle seat person or window seat person, at least if you fly Emirates.

The airline is looking into getting rid of its windows and replacing them with screens -- that is, virtual windows.

Emirate Airlines' president, Tim Clark, told the BBC Wednesday that getting rid of windows means getting rid of structural weaknesses in the fuselage. A plane without windows would also be lighter, and therefore fly faster and burn less fuel.

Emirates did not immediately respond to a request for comment as to when it might commence windowless flights.

Now, you wouldn't be sealed up in a metal tube hurtling across the sky without a view. What passengers see in the cabin would be virtual windows with images projected from outside via fiber-optic cameras.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Isn't there a procedural requirement to have the window blinds up during takeoff and landing? And when was the last time that the presence of windows and their influence on hull integrity played a role in an airliner accident?

3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

yep, there are a whole bunch of reasons that the crew have to be able so see out of the plane in real time unobstructed.

and #2: de Havilland Comet off Elba in 1954 ? probably...

4. IvanV

I thought that too, although I wouldn't have been able to give the exact year. :D

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

If someone breaks one of these fibre optic cameras do they get sucked into the internet?

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  6. IvanV

I don't know you only said it as a joke, but, with the recent case of that lady who died after being partially sucked out when engine exploded and shrapnel broke her window, it's kind of a semi-valid argument in favour of this. Then again, people get hurt by stray bullets that go through a window of their home and car windscreen failure can also be pretty dangerous, so then maybe we should dispense with all windows?! Isaac Asimov would have been proud! :D

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If I had to choose flying on a plane with windows or one without, I know I would always pick the one with windows.

8. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

From what I understand, having no windows not only improves the integrity of the hull. It saves weight, improves aerodynamics and in turn saves a significant amount of fuel.