Eugene Gavrilov - Eax Support

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by roadrunner900, Feb 20, 2004.

?

how important is EAX support

1. 1. not important

29 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. 2. optional

34 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. 3. MUST HAVE

170 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

kx relies on soundfonts to use midi
    as for EAX this depends on creative releasing the specs to eugene

2. dirge

dirge New Member

I would also like to see EAX supported by the KX project. In time I am sure it will be.

If energy is better served cleaning up the code and squashing bugs, I would like to see that happen first.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  3. facundo montoya

facundo montoya New Member

I do not yearn for creative EAX and so on.. Kx's Creator is the King!
    But I'm still looking for the alternative of the little stuff known as "time scaling". In creative I could find them in EAX-Console implementation- I think.
    I'm a musician and this gadget is very usefull for me. I don't mean "time stretch"-audio process.
    Maybe somebody will show me the way in kx. Great Thanks for Heroes! ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  4. cArnYgE

cArnYgE New Member

Yes, I need EAX support. There is absolutely no reason to own an Augidy/Audigy 2 based card and not need it. EAX is one of the major selling points and best things about Creative Labs cards. While I agree that the KX Drivers offers better quality sound. It is not enough to totally counter the lack of this great technology (EAX). Until full EAX/7.1 support is utilized the KX Dproject drivers are fairly useless to me.

Also, what do you people do to your computers that the Audigy 2 zs drivers crash your games? Lord, I dont think I have ever experienced a game crashing, with my current hardware that has not been directly traceable to anything BUT the soundcard (GFX {ATI & nVidia}, DX, background app).

Furthermore the only problems I have with sound and games are for old Direct X 7 games and EAX (Games that were tailored to the SoundBlaster Live! cards and not even 100% compatible with windows 2k/xp)

The single biggest problem I have with the standard Creative (Audigy 2zs) Drivers is that the little speaker icon disappears when the Windows shell crashes and how creative simply cannot release a standalone updated driver so i dont have to use the damnable CD and THEN install the updates...

-cArnYgE

5. DMNXS

DMNXS Member

Well, I am only using the creative drivers at the moment because Mafia doesn't work correctly (no dialogs), and I miss kX already. I was able to install them (EAX4; not all the extra software updates like mixer, recorder, etc. - they stay installed regardless of drivers) perfectly without installing the original drivers from the CD first. Did you try the auto-update function at creatives website?

6. undernet

undernet New Member

Pleeeeeease EAX support... pretty pretty please with sugar on top. Swear I´d donate if you kx guys did that. Those drivers rule!

7. bennetng

bennetng New Member

100% agree with you:cool:

8. Daniel Drummond

Daniel Drummond New Member

EAX has no use for musicians, and to attend musicians is the original purpose of kx drivers...

9. facundo montoya

to Daniel Drummond;

"time scaling" ( from EAX console- Audigy 2) is very usefull for me, for musician.
    I have not found alternative for this.... yet.

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

time scaling is not part of EAX afaik
    EAX is a series of reverb modules designed to imitate real life situations - if you know what convoultion reverb is designed on, the principles of EAX are the same

11. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Why don't you use a software solution to do that?

12. facundo montoya

do you know software with solution similar to time scaling? - I mean real time stretch with good quality sound? Would you care to enlighten me? I'll be grateful! :cool:

13. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I think Sound Forge can do that. I'm not sure.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

soundforge can, logic can, not sure of any other programs

15. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

Nowadays, gamers can't live without EAX.

16. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Agreed EAX is great and I need it :p

17. facundo montoya

to: dj_stick and Johnny1982; thanks for support of "time scaling".
    Logic, cubase, sound forge etc. can do that with audio process known as the time stretch.
    But this is not the same. there is a little nuance between the audio process and effect
    (or whatever it is) from the EAX console-"time scaling"
    In "time stretch"(audio process from software) you need have a lot of time, and place on hard drive to change speed. You need interfere to the record/file and change it completly to new different file. It is necessary to rip the audio file If you work with original CD-Records previously.
    But I need quick speed tranformation like creative "time scaling" from their EAX console. For example; I often rip the solos from the records only by my ear and quick "speed changer" is very usefull for me. I've noticed also that the sound quality is better in the event of "time scaling"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  18. facundo montoya

Hey Everybody!
    I found solution similar(identical) to real time-"time scaling" from EAX console.
    new cubase sx3 can do that!
    This is first known application with this solution.

19. kelston

kelston Active Member

I don't use the kX drivers because of the fact that EAX is not supported. If I want good audio without EAX, I just reboot and use the hardware profile that uses my modded Revo.

The audio is kind of crappy with Creative drivers, sure, but I bought the Aud 2 for the sole purpose of gaming. It would be nice to have improved audio but throwing away EAX throws away my 100 bucks.

I don't know why some people are saying EAX isn't really an improvement when it provides so much better sound placement in games. I can't hear the footsteps from across the map on my Revo with Sensaura, the Audigy 2 lets me do that. And that's what makes it important.

The kX drivers are great, but to write drivers for Creative cards really needs to support the biggest feature of it. Otherwise, kX people should be off writing drivers for good base audio cards like Revo since M-Audio hasn't updated the drivers in half a year.

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the biggest feature of the 10kX series is the 10kX chip itself, low latency dsp processor
    try playing a game turning EAX off - you will still get directional sound