External harddrive disconnects.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Liqourice, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

On my HTPC I have two external USB harddrives. Up until recently I've run them on the motherboard USB 2.0 ports and they've been working just fine. Slow, but fine.

So, to speed things up I went out and got a PCIe USB 3.0 card with two ports and connected both drives to them. To begin with everything was great and the speed increase was awesome. Problem is, one of the drives gets somehow disconnected after a while, this never happened when I had them connected to the USB 2 ports on the motherboard. This kinda baffles me and I would like suggestions as to what's causing this.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Whenever I have this type of problem it's always (so far) a connection issue that has to do with the cable or the usb hub/port it connects to.
    Change cable, if the problem continues, change port you connect it to. If the other port has the same issue, and you have already changed cable, it might be the card.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I wonder if it could be linked to power savings. There's a PCI Express branch when you edit a power plan and go to the advanced power settings, maybe you could try playing with that.

4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

If it were the power savings it would affect both drives, wouldn't it?

Sadly enough I don't have any extra cable so I guess I have to go buy one.