Fallout: New Vegas (PC) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 19, 2010.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Fallout: New Vegas Review

The first thing which we need to say about Fallout New Vegas is that it has no relation to specific events in Fallout 3, or the original games for that matter. We are now in 2281; two hundred years after the Great War between the USA and China which turned the world into a nuclear wasteland and joining us are a whole new bunch of characters and location. For this reason previous experience with Fallout is not essential.

2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

Are those "instant replays" during combat still present? I found those so annoying : |

Think I'll be getting this one from steam soon anyways. And maybe try to find some custom textures.

3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Thats KillCam, yes. You can turn it off though.

4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Looking good! Picking up the CE version for PS3 on Friday.

I hear though the console versions has some tech flaws, hoping they aren't to bad and it will be fixed.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Yeah, have seen a few things about that. Seems the load times are way longer on the 360/PS3 and there are more of the minor issues such as NPCs at the wrong height.

I assume the additional rendering issues is because the optical media sent to the console reviewers is an older build than the one we got on Steam. I actually have an even newer build now but havent had time to find the exact locations of the bugs again to check if they are gone. (Load times on the PC will of course be dependant on the system used).

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It's fortunate that I don't quite feel like playing this type of game at the moment, because there's simply not enough free time right now. The informative review answered all the questions I had.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Are they sticking with the Fallout 3 inability to complete sidequests after the story line?

That aside, I might be ordering this come the holidays :)

8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm conflicted. While the reviews for Fallout: New Vegas are great they aren't shaking off one worry of mine. I got sick of Fallout 3 by the end of the last DLC...is New Vegas better than Fallout 3? Is it different enough that it won't feel like more of the same?

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

btw, Obsidian Entertainment also developed the very good Alpha Protocol.

Oh how I wish they would abandon this engine. It still looks exactly like Oblivion with guns. Including the ugly graphics of anything at a distance. The cut off distance before it switches from ok to OH MY GOD THAT'S UGLY! looks a bit better, but still...

The bug with the character getting hit from a shot through the wall I doubt it will ever be fixed. It was there in Fallout 3, though it mostly happens against the enemy.

I have no doubt that this is a great game, Obsidian knows what they do, better than most.

I wonder how good the game plays on a PS3. Anyone?

10. Trusteft

Oh yeah, I forgot, very good review. Good to see some extra talk about the game for people who are new to the franchise. Extra points for that. :)

11. Stuart_Davidson

12. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

Appreciate Your review, a game I have been looking forward to appears worth the wait. The bit about turning the radio off after a while made me smile as I remembered doing the same in Fallout 3.

Blibbax asks a good question here:
    I kind of obsess over completing sidequests and hate to find I've "gone too far" and can't go back for one.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. Trusteft

I remember reading something some time ago that they do not allow you to continue playing after you finish it, but that they will give you plenty of notice before you do that.

14. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yep. They confirmed that a couple weeks ago. Kinda sucks. Just like Fallout 3, if you want to keep playing it, then you can't finish it. I still don't understand the reasoning behind this limitation. It's like, why make so many side quests in a game that if you follow the story you may NEVER play unless you deviate from the story? It's just stupid.

Anyways, just picked up the CE PC version tonight, and even though I haven't started playing, after having seen the screenshots I'm already looking for texture mods.

15. Trusteft

Yeah, the low textures thing is one of the issues I hate with the line. So far I have heard many good things about the game, I am sure you are going to have a great time with it.

16. darkunknown88

darkunknown88 New Member

I am still playing my Fallout 3. It's a pretty good game. Very immersive. There are some stupid things things like enemies don't die with headshots if your gun/repair skill is not high. The gameplay in New Vegas seems nearly the same as F3. The minigun looks different here.

17. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Awesome review, makes me wanna dip my hand into my pocket... but I SHALL resist!

Fallout 3 was awesome. Still got that Inkspots song on my phone - one listen makes me wanna play, haha.

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You bugger... Now I can't get their "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" song outta my head...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    BabylenTatarsky likes this.
  19. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Picked up the Collectors Edition this morning, so sweet!

But waiting for patch, I can wait!... maybe

20. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Really?

:D