Federal Court & U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheism is Religion

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by Altered, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Lead ball00n

Lead ball00n New Member

Atheism is the belief,the theory of evolution is their bible.

There is no absolute empirical evidence of belief or theory.

All that can be honestly said is that both require faith,a very religious characteristic. Consensus science (the hypothesis of the theory) does not make the conclusion fact.

Progression of understanding is not proof of outcome.

Atheism is just as much of a religious practice as any other religion and both the belief and the theory should not be taught in schools.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I thought we had finally seen the end of this damned thread...

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Lead Ball00n has substituted reality for his/her own.

I can redefine words and everything however I like to fit my preconceived notions and dream state fantasy beliefs too.... but I prefer not to, because that would single me out as a fool and a hypocrite.

4. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Atheism runs along a scale, from:
    Implicit/soft atheism - could also call it unconcerned atheism - the scale from "I don't care" to "I don't believe".
    Explicit/strong atheism - "I believe that there are no gods".
    To hardcore atheism - "I oppose belief in gods, and seek to spread that opinion".

Stronger levels of atheism do share the main element of religion - a belief in the unprovable, since it is neither possible to prove God exists, or that God does not exist.

The weaker levels are simply "I'm not religious", but I would call active disbelief a religion in itself

5. Neshi

I think a lot of athiest are actually agnostic...

6. Judas

Religion is Theism..... atheism is the lack of theism therefore not a religion...

Why can't people accept that atheism is NOT a religion? Atheism is the complete lack of faith and belief in ANYTHING, because atheists require proof and repeatable observer able consensus which doesn't require either to have faith or believe.

it's really not that complicated....

7. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Atheism a religion? I don't believe it.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't see how atheism is a religion. At best(or worst) it is an ideology. But a religion? It doesn't make any sense. That's like saying someone who doesn't follow, practice or care on individual or team level about any sports or exercise, an athlete.
    "Guilt" by disassociation? lol

9. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Just a troll, don't feed it..

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I hold a set of religious believes and theories that would send you
    all for a loop :D

Confused me maybe its the wording -

see below:

There is not a strict or defined given definition of Religion. Religion is regarded as a set of variously organized beliefs about the relationship between natural and supernatural aspects of reality, and the role of humans in this relationship. So belief in 1 god, 10, or none would all qualify.

11. Trusteft

I don't see how not agreeing in the existence of a god/supernatural is a religion. The only way that that applies is when one believes there is no god but there is something else supernatural. Then perhaps it is a religion. But not believing in a god/supernatural is impossible to be called a religion unless one is...trolling lol.

Absence of a religion is not religion. The same way lack of a bullet through my brain is not evidence of a bullet in my brain.

12. Lead ball00n

Lead ball00n New Member

Some Terms of definition for religion.

1: A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.
    2. Something of overwhelming importance to a person: football is his religion

Atheism fits both of these descriptions, and as I have said previously, there is no absolute empirical evidence either way,so it is and can only be a belief. The practice of that religion (atheism) and belief is the
    theory of evolution
    . And quite often atheists will go theory bashing.

That sounds exactly like what a supernatural religious belief does to me !

:rolleyes:

13. Liqourice

1. What are those beliefs and practices you're referring to?

2. I know of no atheist that is passionate about it in the way you claim.

There's a huge flaw in your reasoning. There are lots of empirical evidence for evolution and how the universe has come to be what it is today. You just don't want to see them. :)

Also, there are more definitions of religion than those, you just pick the ones that you think fit to your purpose and leave out the rest. How's that for bashing?

14. Judas

no matter how hard you try lead ball00n... you'll fail to place "atheist" in the "religious" group... because they are mutually exclusive... The sooner you grasp that reality.. the better, otherwise you're just coming across as nothing more than a yippy dog trying to get attention by spewing false non-sense as if it were true.... No matter how many times/ways you essentially repeat yourself, it'll never be true.

15. Neshi

You assume that atheists believe in the theory of evolution.. but that is not inherent to atheism. Atheism is the rejection of belief in deities. That is all it is, not more and not less.

16. Judas

By the way.... Lead Ball00n is also assuming that theory has no biases in reality. Theory is an idea that has been worked through, tested and confirmed through experimentation and as well as observably as accurate as we understand it. It is in fact something that hold the highest level of reality.

You shouldn't confuse hypothesis with Theory.. they are again 2 different things, you start with a hypothesis... you do the math... you test it .. and if it follows nature and observation repeatedly, specially when performed multiple times by SEVERAL other people from potentially different backgrounds, then it turns into a theory that is accepted UNTIL a better theory is developed and accepted. If it does NOT apply to nature, doesn't work.... and is not hold repeatability, then it turns into a failed hypothesis, is chucked out and a new hypothesis is then formed.

Somewhat ironically, the Science is evolutionary, it'll never stagnate...

17. Lead ball00n

Lead ball00n New Member

What I enjoy most about all of this is how some of you throw your rattles out of your prams and cry and stamp your feet with so much emotion.
    And yes I do see atheists evangelizing with a copy of the origin of species in hand, quite the same as some random Muslim guy I saw in passing the other day.
    The fact I pick out two definition of religion does not discount it,like there can be four or five meanings of any other word,it is there,so deal with it.
    In the most part all I have seen of atheism is the hate and vitriolic language it uses,
    a proponent of this description are people https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingAtheist for example who makes his living off of being obnoxious and denigrating behavior.
    He uses atheism as way to make money off the back his insults,who from his own admission has never held down a job, what a loser !
    For the most part the only sensible people I have come across are agnostics.

18. Liqourice

I really wonder what you think you're seeing. Stating facts isn't the same as stomping feet and being emotional.

Ok, so you see TheAmazingAtheist as a typical representative of atheists? In the same fashion I could chose to see child raping catholic priests as typical representativs of the christians. I'd say there's a lot more people making money through established religions than there is people like him. There's a reason why the churches around the world are some of the wealthiest organisations around. So, you still haven't proven anything with your examples. :)

I hope you see my point, there are bad examples in all kinds of groups. It still won't make atheism a religion. As Neshi so well said atheists have no diety, something that is one of the most fundamental needs in any religion. I can only speak for myself but I don't believe in anything. No higher power of any kind. No predestinations. Hence, I'm not religious or part of any religion. It's just as simple as that.

You can keep on trolling as much as you want really, it's your choise. You still won't hit your target because there isn't one to hit. :)

19. Judas

Point in fact.. if you are insulted by what that man has to say... than you're part of the problem...

I don't see any feet stamping..... in fact it's mostly watching you stamp your feet and call it civil debate while we sit back and mostly witness a child try to explain the origin of fire brought to them by an imaginary friend.... It's cute at first.... but at some point such delusions become concerning and at which point plenty adults end up rolling into a mental institution for help.

I would put those that actively carry around a Darwin's evolution book to be fairly extremist... or if they happen to live in salt lake city or southern united states which typically is referred as the bible belt for a reason...... then they might need it to beat off all the religious nuts as a form of self defense, or at least, read it to have some footing in reality when things get insanely dogmatic.

20. Trusteft