FINALLY time to upgrade gfx

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BabylenTatarsky, Apr 14, 2017.

1. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Some of you may remember I won the Game Of The Year Competition in 2010. I've used the PC almost everyday since and it's been great. However, with the awesome-looking PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS coming out, I feel like I should finally upgrade my graphics card.

I'm not made of money, so budget is about £250, and I think I'd like to stick with Nvidia since the GTX580 has served me so well.

I was going to switch the RAM for DDR4 but noticed the motherboard doesn't support it, so hopefully I won't run into any compatibility problems for the gfx.

Can you recommend a card for me? One that'll work with my ASRock X58 Extreme6 mobo and fit in my 600T case.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

can you suggest a website in which we can use as a frame or referrence to work with your budget?

As it stands right now...

this is pretty much the order of performance:

RX550/1050/RX560/1050TI/1060-3gb/RX570/1060-6gb/RX580/Fury/1070/1080/1080ti

You can substitute the RX5xx for the RX4xx for the most part.. but instead move the RX470 below the 1060-3gb).

As of right now the BEST bang for the buck is the RX470/570's... they simply cannot be beat as there is NOTHING available in their price ranges from nvidia and their performance is fantastic for the cost.

But as you said, you don't feel the need to move from nvidia which is fair enough due to your previous experience. But considering the plethora of freesync displays and the fact that it's now become clear that AMD's Hardware scheduling is becoming vastly superior to nvidia's software implementation that is starting to break down and run into problems (specially on Ryzen hardware)... and doesn't seem to be performing remotely as well in dx12/vulkan games compared to AMD (with some of the newer AMD based performance metrics showing a RX480/580 matching a 1070 almost which seems a bit insane. AMD's got a LOT going for it right now.... generally cooler running if only by a 5-10%... still eats up a bit more power but nothing significant really... and with "vega" right around the corner so to speak... we could see some pretty hefty changes coming to market in the next month or 2 (though many rumours put the vega release right around the last week of may or first week of june), you can be sure that considering how much developement has gone into vega which is a ground up architectural change in design that we haven't seen since the release of HD7xxx (hd7xxx ~> RX5xx all are fundamentally based on a common GCN design where as Vega is to introduce the basically a completely redesign referred to NCU).

3. BabylenTatarsky

Yes, sorry.

Scan.co.uk
    Ebuyer.com
    Amazon.co.uk
    morecomputers.com
    alza.co.uk

As for wanting to stick with Nvidia it's really not set in stone, and I'm open to AMD if there's a bargain to be had. Thanks for the effort you put into your response.

Ideally I want to buy it ASAP. If you could check those sites (top 2 are probably your best bet - if it's Amazon I'm a bit stingy since discovering camelcamel price tracker lol, & I've never used the bottom two tbh) and post one (or a few) you think I should buy, and will work with the rest of my computer, I'd really appreciate it.

I was looking at the GTX 1060 6GB before I posted the thread.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Considering the costs from what i can see from the sites you linked... i can't help but recommend the rx470/570 or the 480/580... though of course i would suggests since the RX5xx has been for the passed week flowing into retail stores, hell even i can order them and the first ones were being picked up in countries welloutside of north america.... i'd say wait the few days (official launch is slated for the 18th) to see how price fair...

Having used both the 1060 6gb and the 470 and 480.... the 580 has a 10% increase in performance roughly over the 480 with a better manufacturing process which is expected to drop the power requirements in line with the 1060 potential... i find the 470/480 still perform equally and in most of my situations, better than the 1060... and at least here, they are still significantly cheaper.

Also if you ever plan on recording gameplay.... amd's relive kicks the snot out of shadowplay.

BabylenTatarsky likes this.
  5. BabylenTatarsky

I really appreciate your input but I had the chance to get a MSI GTX 1060 6GB for £195 so I've ended up with that. Picking it up tomorrow hopefully. Thanks a lot.

Calliers likes this.