flashing! help...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by sinjin, May 31, 2002.

1. sinjin

sinjin the last samurai

no, not running around with a raincoat on type of flashing...

i have the cheap-o Promise Onboard Raid chip (PDC20265) on my mobo...which some of you might know already comes equipped with the Fasttrac 100 'lite' or 'speed' bios. i can't change my stripe/cluster sizes using this handicapped bios..i need the 'full' Fasttrack 100 flashed on there somehow.

or should i forget modding my bios and just toss in another drive with win2k to format the current raid with new default cluster/striping sizes? is that even possible? i think i remember hearing that one could with XP...

last but not least...what should i set my cluster/stripe size? that might be a question i should just leave to answering myself by testing each possible combo...but anyway, what are you guys using: default, 16k, 32k, 64k....do you keep them both the same?

whatever.

i'm feeling a headache coming on....

2. alewisa

alewisa New Member

I str a post about modding a Promise to obtain the full version, but can't remember if it was on here, or an FAQ on Anandtech or similar. Will have a looksee.

Look on the Adaptec website, there is some useful whitepapers to do with stripe sizes and aray sizes. again, don't have the url but remember reading these a couple of years ago at work, when I should have been doing something else.

Later- just did a search, and I can't find the papers. The advanced search returns 4 hits, the most "useful" relates to RAID-5 arrays. You might have more luck, tho...

3. alewisa

alewisa New Member

refined the search (do an advanced search on STRIPE), and it returns dozens of hits.

4. sinjin

sinjin the last samurai

thanks for the response al....

i found a site that offers a modded bios for my asus mobo/promise raid chip..but not for my current version. i figured t's not worth the trouble to figure out how to mod it myself, so i ended up tossing in an old hd and formatted the raid with the 16k stripe. unfortunately, after all that hassle i didn't really improve my read/write speeds too much according to sisoft sandra (not sure how accurate that benchmark is anyhow).

the quest continues...