Folding for HH!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by blibbax, Feb 17, 2011.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Synthesis and I thought it might be an idea to get a HardwareHeaven folding team going, as we've quite a few folders and ex-folders in our ranks.

With V3 and Craig's permission, I've set up a team.

The homepage is here, and the team number is 201544.

I'm not asking anyone who's already dedicated to a big team to switch sides, but if anyone's currently folding for a team they don't really care about, or not folding at all, please muck in! It's for a great cause, and it really costs you very little in terms of time, effort or anything else.

Understandably, Craig doesn't really want to have a team going under the HH name that's got a tiny number of contributors, as it looks bad for the site, so it'd be nice to get as many people as possible if this is going to work.

If you've any questions about folding, how to fold, or the HH team, please feel free to ask :)

EDIT: More about folding, and how to get started!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Cow_160483 likes this.
  2. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Let me just say this first...Im not interested in Folding.. So count me out on this....

So for the time being (as there is no Folding Forum) i have stickied this thread...

(OOPs Yes there is a folding forum)

3. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

would have loved to join the HH team unfortunately am already folding for another team but i do encourage you guys to join the cause :)

4. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Back in the day HH members folded for ATI. Although I have no idea if people still do so. Anyways I'll be sticking w/ my current team.

5. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Already folding for another team... if this had come a month earlier you would have had my points.

There certainly is a huge population here though so there should be plenty of room for expansion. Perhaps you guys want to put a little "Fold for HH" banner in your sigs to promote it

Also you might want a short getting started guide to show people the options... regular CPU, SMP, SMP -bigadv and GPU folding etc... I'll give you a hand if you want.

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'll get a sig like Lowfat's once extremeoverclocking.com updates to include me in their stats :p

If there's enough interest, I'd certainly be up for making a guide of some sort, but until we know how much interest there is I think it'd be better to direct people to this thread with any problems they may have.

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Make sure to add something like

Fold for HH!
    or a link to this thread, whichever. But yeah I will be more than happy to help you with any things you have to setup. We can make a Folding hardware thread to see what each team member uses etc... but yes you'll need participation. BTW what client are you folding with blibb?

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm folding with the Nvidia GPU client, which is worth about 5.5k PPD if left on through the night, but in reality about 3.9k as during term time I tend to turn off my PC when I sleep.

Not really worth using my CPU as well, as my CPU cooler, thought quiet most of the time, gets pretty loud after long periods of heavy CPU load, and it's only worth about 1.2k PPD :(

9. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I edited my signature; likewise, I'll be devoting my GTX 580 and 980X (SMP) to HH as long as possible. I'm currently on vacation, but I'll be able to start up on Monday.

Come fold for HH :)

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

:D

EDIT: Argh, Craig, look at you, with your modern PC, shooting right past me already :p

11. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Synthesis, fold SMP -bigadv and you will be untouchable. Should be good for about 35k PPD at least :)

Nice job with the sig :)

Have you guys heard of FAH GPU Tracker ? Its a really easy setup and will be the easiest thing for newbies.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

No I had not, thanks :)

13. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I do not like that GPU Tracker app, it deletes the queue.dat file after every completed WU. You can't see your previous/upcoming WU's.

And an overclocked 980x should do closer to 50k on the majority of the bigadv units (P2684 being the exception). Although running a GPU client will drop your bigadv substantially (5k+). The bad thing w/ bigadv's is that they take 2 days for most systems to finish. So if you game for quite a few hours a day you may not be able to finish the WU before the deadline. On my gaming machine I have 3 shortcuts made for my SMP client. The first one which uses the -bigadv -smp 8 flag which runs the majority of the day. Then I have a -bigadv -smp 7 that I use when watching video (ati card, crappy DXVA), then I have a -bigadv -smp 5 which I use while gaming. Using the -bigadv -smp 5 drops my 2600k @ 4.7Ghz down to 25k from 45k, but since I don't do it all day long I generally even out around 35k.

14. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

Those 2600k are good!

15. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is that what you mean Lowfat?

The 580 should be good for around 16k, but I've never experimented with -bigadv + GPU at the same time.

16. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I run only one CPU client (and I run it mostly when I need to heat up my room a little :)) so I don't make much points, but count me in. Changed my team from ATI to HH.

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Thanks, much appreciated - every little helps :)

Do you run SMP or single core client?

18. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

That does look like what I was referring to. I honestly hadn't used it in many months. Looks like he pays attention to what people say in his threads and adds the features.

Anyways I never run GPU clients so I don't really need to use the program. I am all about performance per watt and GPU clients really take away from that.

19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That does depend a great deal on the GPU and CPU in question. My CPU manages just over a fifth of my GPU's PPD, while consuming about half the power (based on an overclocked power consumption calculator).

This is partly due to my having a 55nm GPU and a 65nm CPU, but also due to the way that the GPU client scales linearly while the CPU SMP client has increasing marginal returns to additional processing power, meaning that faster systems will benefit far more from CPU based folding.

20. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

If you are using dual cores or AMD then by all means fold away w/ your GPUs. But w/ overclocked core i7's, bigadv & no GPUs is the way to go if you want the best PPD/$ and PPD/watt. That is also assuming you are using the GPU3 client w/ a Fermi card as they take considerably more CPU usage than the older GPU2 client.