"forgot your password"

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by alewisa, Dec 17, 2002.

1. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Ok, a fair few sites such as DH, Matrox, etc all have a way of telling you what your password is, in case you forget. Not just forum sites, but others such as FriendsReunited.

What is the technology involved? Obviously a backend database and email. How secure is it, or can it be made more secure (persumably the initial question setup uses SSL or similar)

Is this a realtively easy technology to incorporate, and/or is it available off the shelf? If the later, who sells it? Anyone in the UK?

Need to know quite urgently!

TVIAM
    Alan

2. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Most of the ones where you have an email address assigned to youir account, will do one of two things.

1. Send a password notification for the queried username, to the registered email address for that username

or

2. Send a reset password link to the registered emai for the username

No clever tricks, and I would assume that it's a standard feature of the forum software.

3. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

vBulletin and Deluxe Portal, for examples, store your password encrypted with MD5, which is a one way encryption, so password recovery with them is more like password reset.

4. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Hmm.

There is a reason behind the question. We deploy an application which can be accessed via a browser (it isn't a stricy web based app, however). There are user accounts and passwords, and the greatest number of support calls are from user who have forgotten their passwords (and consequently had accounts locked).

Thus, the integration of a "forgot my pwd" feature would be a mjor boon, reducing the number of support calls, and enabling me to extend the product portfolio that that team support.

tvia
    Alan

5. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

Are the passwords encrypted?