Freezing with Xvid/Divx/QT etc playback

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by woodyear99, Sep 27, 2004.

1. woodyear99

woodyear99 New Member

Hi

Specs: 512 Ram, P 3GHZ HT, Radeon Mobility 9000

I recently got a new HP laptop.

I can watch divx, xvid , QT and other movies just fine. However if I am doing other things in the background such as browsing websites or downloading files on edonkey my whole machines freezes it doesn't matter what I am doing. the only thing I can do is press the power button to turn it off and turn it back on again. Now its weird the movies never freeze when I am just watching it alone. Also I tried using Keopi's divx codecs same problem , also tried the divx codec from the main website. Anyway I have not overclocked anything and I am using the latest drivers.Other than that my machine is very stable.

I have tried Zoom Player and Windows Media Player both have the same problem.
    So I am thinking its a codec issue. I want to try uninstalling all video and sound codecs and then reinstalling them from scratch on my Windows XP Home SP2 system. How do I remove all these codecs safely?

Any other suggestions? I know its not a hardware problem so I am trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

get the k-lite codec pack (google for it) and when you isntall ti enable the 'divx antifreeze' option as wella s all the other cool codecs and such in there, and you should be set to go :)

3. woodyear99

woodyear99 New Member

Thanks!

One thing should I uninstall all my codecs first?

4. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

I had a problem like this, and it turned out that it WAS a hardware problem for me, and I had to get my laptop replaced. Been working perfectly ever since :) (using the same harddrive and software configuration. only main system was replaced, not harddrive).