FSB OC'ing

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by skastel, Jun 16, 2002.

1. skastel

skastel Massive Happiness

I'm getting frustrated here trying to up my FSB.
    I can get it to post at 160MHz, but it windows gives me the bsod if I have the fsb higher than 145MHz! What should I do, I currently have a Athlon 1400@1524, but I would like to get it higher, also I can't seem to get the mutiplier on it to go higher than 10.5x, I know for a fact that the CPU is unlocked, and I did a pencil mod on it anyway, no matter how much I up the voltage it does nothing to give me a higher multiplier.
    Tell me what you can,
    -Skastel

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

You could try sticking heatsinks on ur RAM sticks as they're normally the first component to give out when pushing the FSB beyond spec.

3. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

Your multiplier is not unlocked if you can't get control of it, voltage adjustment does not affect adjusting the multiplier.
    Go to any Automotive shop and look for a rear window defroster repair kit or even some online shops sell conductive pens, the pencil trick will work until the led loses its conductivity then the multiplier is again locked. The above pens work much better...

Now 160 FSB is VERY aggressive without using heat spreaders on the ram, voltage on the chipset increased and alot of cooling on the Northbridge...Crucial ram will not run @ 160 you would need to get PREMIUM ram like Kingmax, Mushkin or Corasair to hit the high of FSB.

You are simply asking too much with what you have although if you can up your CPU multiplier it will be a step in the right direction :)

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

RAM sinks

Do they help a lot or a little? I'm having trouble pushing Bubbles past 120Mhz & I know it's the ram. (If I drop it to cas3 it's fine. :rolleyes: ) I thought I'd just hit the RAMs ceiling, but if cooling helps I've always got something lying around I could throw on it. ;)

5. skastel

skastel Massive Happiness

no prob on unlock

My CPU is a athlon 1.4 made last summer when they were the fastest CPU athlon offered, because of it's high speed it was ship[ped with no multiplier lock on it, but for some reason I can't get software control of it, jumper free mode is on, so in theory my mobo should be able to take full control of it, I can decrease the multiplier, but I can't increase it over 10.5x, the default for 1400MHz.

Thanks for the clarification on the ram. I guess my ceiling is 145Mhz for the FSB, thanks for the tips!
    -Skastel

6. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Well. Let me throw in my two cents.

Firstly, what other components do you have? Overclocking your FSB stresses every component as well. It is unlikely that a PCI card is causing your problem, but it is not inconceivable.

Secondly, I'd erase the pencil markings on your CPU. Your 1.4GHz Thunderbird is likely to be unlocked anyways (Gold-colored L1 bridges all connected), it's unnecessary to "unlock" them in the manner you've described, and could be causing the problem if your pencil job was sloppy. :p This is similarly unlikely, but it is something to check for.

Also, I have a 800MHz Duron that will NOT POST with a 7.0X multiplier. Don't ask why. It just doesn't. Maybe this isn't uncommon?

Personally, I don't think RAMsinks will get you more than 1 or 2 MHz of difference. I've never had system RAM get hot (I run my DDR at 3.1V); secondly, SDRAM is designed to evenly distribute heat. If your RAM is limiting you, I'd get GOOD RAM. I'm thoroughly convinced that slapping heatsinks/heatspreaders/Peltiers on your RAM won't do a damned thing.

[​IMG]

I've made a few suggestions, but in all reality, your inability to o/c is caused by one of two things. Your RAM isn't good enough OR your chip just won't do it. I have a 1.4GHz Thunderbird myself and it WILL NOT o/c to 1.6GHz, even at 2.0V. Some chips just have no headroom -- that's the nature of the game.

Hope that helps. :)

7. UberLord

Re: RAM sinks

They've enabled me to get higher FSB speeds for sure. How much of a difference overall? Maybe not much, but I work on the principal that faster is better (except for graphics cards where IQ is king)

8. UberLord

Re:

I've got two sticks of 256Mb PC2100 DDR Crucial memory.
    FSB was clocked at 162. But then I've got heatspreaders and active cooling on those suckers.

However, I can't up the multiplier at that speed, so I normally run FSB @ 158 with an extra .5 turn on the multiplier

9. Alan Allen

Alan Allen The "Eye"

I have a 1.4 Athlon and I can't get it to go over 10.5 and 139FSP.

It is unlocked, must have been a bad batch of chips. I bought it in September of 2001.

It's a AYHJA-9

10. Alan Allen

Alan Allen The "Eye"

Anyone else have the same chip as me? Are you able to get it past 139FSB?

11. UberLord

Re:

I can't check the model number of the chip as there's a massive HSF on it that I don't really want to start removing as it was a PITA to install. But it is a Athlon 1.4 and the FSB is waaay beyond 139 :p

Anyone know of a proggy to get CPU versions?

12. merry

merry gargouille

13. shuki

shuki New Member

why do you want the multiplier so high? drop down to 8.5 and watch that fsb go up.

give the vcore more juice to get windows to load....

most importantly use mbm 5 to MONITOR YOUR TEMPS

and no. mr. crucial doesn not like high fsb without a good vmem kick in the butt!