Futuremark 3DMark Results

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by IvanV, Feb 5, 2013.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Ok, I must ask. How do you guys get a single "Compare" link?

2. CDsDontBurn

I missed this just now.

Looking at your results, your CPU did not clock itself up to the stock 3.4Ghz or w/e it's supposed to be. It looks like it's still stuck at the idle 1.6Ghz clock speed. If you change this in your BIOS so that it will clock itself up to 3.4Ghz, or higher, you will be able to attain an even higher score yet.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

No he won't.

The CPU is downclocked when 3dMark scans for system information, because that's not very demanding. His score would be way, way lower if it was actually stuck at 1.6GHZ.

My new CPU shows up as 1.8GHZ in 3dMark system info. I can tell you for a fact that it does not stick at 1.8GHZ under any load.

4. CDsDontBurn

Ok. Explain why my i5-3570k is read as "4,021Mhz" then for THIS test? Which BTW, I was indeed running at 4Ghz. I must have forgotten that part :p

5. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Could it be CdsDontBurn that you don't have your processor set to down clock? I know that's a power setting I've turned on / off before to mess with results. In any case I'm about to buy the advanced version, and will try it again, with downclocking on and off, and we'll see if it makes a difference..

6. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Ok, here's the results:

Ice storm w/ downclocking:
    http://www.3dmark.com/is/235043
    Ice storm full power:
    http://www.3dmark.com/is/235078

Cloud gate downclocked:
    http://www.3dmark.com/cg/212651
    Cloud gate full power:
    http://www.3dmark.com/cg/212679
    Firestrike Downclocked:
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/217534
    Firestrike full Power:
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/217572

So there you have it. Full power made minimal diference, and infact on the preliminary test of Ice Storm actually was worse performing. Go figure! - in the mean time I'm going to try to tweak my GPU through CCC to try to OC it even more, as I see when I installed the new 13.2 beta I forgot to o'c my gpu. This is good news, as the new beta is already giving me significant improvements in speed even without the oc. Stay tuned!

7. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Now I'm confused. I Oc'd my gpu back up to where I had it before, and it gave me much WORSE results. In fact I suspect that the new beta driver had nothing to do with my MUCH improved scores, its that it reset my gpu core and memory clock back down to default. As you can see above at core settings, vs the following with core clock oc'd to 1200 mhz from 975, and the memory clock up to 1600, with power boost at 20 percent:

http://www.3dmark.com/is/235133
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/217614
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/217614

WTF? I'll start a new thread.

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's random, my CPU is sometimes caught at 3.2GHz by the Info tool, other times at 800MHz, but the performance is always the same.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Either your CPU is not downclocking properly, or background applications were putting it under load and keeping it at full speed.

If you get less performance overclocked, something's throttling, probably due to excessive temps.

10. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

I will do a more thorough investigation into my temps Tonight. however i should note that my case is very well cooled, and under load while gaming with the oc dont see temps much past 60. I will however re test and post the temp results from 3dmark when I get home.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I can't remember if GPU-Z has the ability to log GPU clocks? If so, that could help you understand what's going on. :)

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It does!

13. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Good call, will download it when I'm done at work.. the advanced edition of 3DMARK also has some detailed graphs ill look at. I only quickly glanced at them yesterday to make sure the temps under load were ok. But maybe theres is something more detailed. Will post my results!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  14. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

OK Guys, good call with the CPU - Z. I noticed something right away. First off I ran both tests again to see the temp changes in my cpu and gpu, with OC and core on the GPU, and, as I thought, no real changes in temperature. Gpu sitting at a max of about 60c on both tests, with the CPU Maxing at 70c. No probelms there. BUT, Running GPU Z on my second screen while the test was going, I noticed that at the stock gpu clock, the Gpu core would jump up to it's stock setting of 925 MHz under load, but while Overclocked, it just sat at it's idle clock of 501MHz for pretty much the entire time, only jumped up to it's 1285 OC for about a split second, strangely enough between tests, then right back down to idle temps of 501 while under load. This is OBVIOUSLY why I'm getting such terrible scores while overclocked.
    Now, Why is this happening?
    I've logged both tests with GPU Z by the way, but they are pages of .txt file, and don't know how to show you without clogging up pages of message board.
    Still - At least we've pinpointed the problem.

Do you guys still want to see the logs? And if so, how would you suggest I upload them? or do you think this info is enough to give you some ideas?

One note, I've tried now with Trixx and MSI afterburner as well, and the same thing happens, as soon as I tweak the settings even a tiny bit, it won't increase the core clock from idle of 500 Mhz, just for a split second in between tests while it's loading the actual test, it jumps up to what I've set it at, but as soon as anything starts it's right back down to 500. The temps never get very high on any of the overclocking tests.. GRRRR

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

After getting a new Vbios from Sapphire tech support I was able to see some improvement. Still not seeing some of the OC's I see online, or indeed the one HH got during their 7870 xt review, but better. Can now attain 1200MHz with a 1675 clock, that is seemingly stable. I think I'll take this score and call it a day ( while I wait for amd driver improvements )

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

With the latest 13.5 Beta2 drivers (Unapproved) I got this on a first run...

[​IMG]

17. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

18. CDsDontBurn

^^ Now that's a feat! :D

19. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Do you have an overclock for those results? pretty good either way.

20. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

All stock ;)