Games backups

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Trusteft, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I 've been thinking about backing up my games, games from CD and DVD releases. I have thousands of them over the years and perhaps it would be a good idea to do this while I still can.
    I never really dealt with it seriously over the last say 20 years so I am completely lost as to what is going on in the...field?

Anyone has first hand experience with this?
    Recent.

Are there any good modern ripping software out there? That can deal with various copy protection schemes too?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

iobuster tends to be a relatively decent free and lightweight option i've used to backup games that even require the disk to read "an error" in it. One of the oldest games i backed up was need for speed 2 SE used to have a nocd crack but for the life of me haven't been able to find after the year 2001... specially for the apparently rare edition for the 3DFX glide version.

I've basically created an ISO library of the games, and with windows 10, i can natively mount the ISO without the need for 3rd party software and install and then run the games that "requires a disc" which means i don't even have to fight with known working no cd crackes/patches if i don't feel comfortable downloading one from obscure and questionable places.

I think i've like 90 or so ISOs games, some of which are multi part CD or DVDs, and i've organized them all into their old folder. I did learn though that a few games that use mutiple disks, you shouldn't change the volume name of the iso as the installer or reading of said game will decline if it can't detect/read the appropriate expected name of the next disc.

While i haven't necessarily ran into a problem with any of the protection schemes, i suppose the only exception to this would be games that used 3rd party software DRM which would install alongside the game which even with the real physical disk, wouldn't work properly in some cases, even on the OS it was intended for simply due to provided you're security is patched up, determines that the DRM method is for example, a root kit.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Do you mean Isobuster? The data recovery software? Because it says it is paid, not free.

4. Judas

yes sorry, missed the S in that.

I just download the free version, or trail, it's never seemed to expire on me... and it hasn't prevented me from created ISO backups of anything yet.

5. Trusteft

Thank you, I will give it a go.
    I assume it is safe to use, right?
    (talking about malware etc)

6. Judas

I've seen no evidence of a problem with the program or anything curious about it.... But if you want to take on some extra caution by using a machine you're less likely to be worried about, perhaps a good idea. I typically just install it, rip the disks and then uninstall it and it seems to remove itself well enough.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.