Gaming Today: GTX 260 V Radeon 4870

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 21, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Unless someone wants to spend considerable money there are really only two options for gaming enthusiasts, two cards which provide performance high enough to play the latest games at high detail without requiring a bank loan, the GeForce GTX 260 and Radeon HD 4870 1Gb. The question is, which is the fastest now that many driver revisions have passed since release?

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

"As this is an OC model we know that BFG will have pushed the card’s clock speeds higher, in this case 590MHZ core, 999MHz memory and 1296MHz shader. For those who cannot remember the clocks on the original GTX 260 they were 576/999/1242MHz so BFG have been able to increase each significantly."

Are you sure about that significant memory increase?

Great article all in all though.

Rediculous that Crysis needs to drop to a 15" monitor before it'll run on high settings with a £180 graphics card.

Lelisevis likes this.
  3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The 260GTX is usually slightly ahead of the 4870 in all tests but the tipping point for me had to be PhysX; it used to be something I didn't care about but now that it's become standard on Nvidia cards it provides a boost in framerates as well as additional gameplay experience that the AMD series can't match.

Lelisevis likes this.
  4. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Couple of questions.

Firstly i've been eyeing up a BFG 260 GTX for a while but I was going to opt for the even higher clocked OCX model. Would I be wasting my money jumping from a pair of 8800GTS 640mb's in SLI? I know logically the answer would seem yes but please bare in mind the reduced heat, power usage and option to add another GTX card in the future should it be needed. On top of that having a single card would alleviate any potential SLI profile issues. Anyone able to show some comparitive figures? Finally I haven't really got my head around this physx thing but would it be possible to use the GTX as my primary display and just use a single 8800 to handle the physics processing?

So many questions, hopefully it makes sense. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

*Almost forgot, should probably leave this in feedback but on 2 of the pages I was getting all of the background, graphs and links to gamingheaven but I wasnt getting the text summary at the bottom. IE had finished loading the page and showed done. Like I say most of the pages had it but 2 it didnt appear.

5. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

If that memory icrease is not enough for you they also do a 260 OCX model with 655/1125/1404:eek::drool:.

edit: arghhhh I've sinned, im sure this is the first time i've double posted ever (*shuffles off to sit in noob corner and dribble in my pants*).

6. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

so thats that then....... GTX 260 Core 216s are the king of the hill!

8. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

The new nvidia drivers are very impresive, I noticed large gains in a few games myself, almost to the point of buying an upgraded video card.

The 4870 is a good card and im sure ATI will answer back with this driver they are talking about. They would need to though looking at those figures, seems pretty much a no brainer now with which card to go for on the run up to christmas.

9. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

quite good gains with that new forceware. good article, interesting reading.

10. artdexigner

artdexigner New Member

I think Radeon HD 4870 is the best gerphic card for money that everyone can imagine....

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm not sure about comparitive performance figures, though you could check out the Tom's Hardware charts.

If you want to have two GTX260s in SLI, remember that the longer you can wait the chaper they'll get (or maybe even better alternatives will appear).

Also, I would reccomend buying a stock clocked GTX260 and then bios flashing it to the core, memory, shader and fan speeds that you desire. The hardware is identical.

12. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

If so it's sad that these 2 major players hold back on performance of their products just for the sake of having some reserve to fight the competitor

13. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I'm always tempted but seeing as I game at 1680x1050 my 8800GTX is doing just fine...haven't even clocked it yet, once I need to do that then I might consider buying a new card.

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The new Nvidia drivers support such a configuration; I plan on running my 260GTX as the main card and my old 8800GTS as the PhysX renderer until I SLI 260's (then you can't use the 8800GTS for Physx).

15. longhorn1000

longhorn1000 New Member

this shows how important the drivers are and that the Nvidia driver team really is (being totally fair), the better of the two.

Catalyst drivers have improved a lot but the forcewares are still the cream.

Might pick up a 260 GTX and try a mismatched phsyX setup.

16. humonous

humonous New Member

Nah, I don't think its like that. I think its a constant battle between them and they are pushing as hard as they can. I just wonder though how many of these tweaks from both teams affect IQ? I sometimes wonder how they get 5-10% gains without cutting a corner here and there....

17. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Nice review its really got me thinking of which is the better card but i will wait for the new drivers B4 deciding .
    My advice to every one out there is take your time and choose wisely.

18. TT2

TT2 New Member

Despite the slightly higher performance of GTX 260 Core 216, I consider Radeon 4870 to be a clear winner because of the price range in which its available.

AMD ATI has created new standards in price vs performance category and Nvidia has no answer for that.

19. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I disagree with that. I checked newegg.com and there's only a $20 difference between the EVGA 260gtx and a 512mb 4870. The 1gig version costs more than the 260GTX that's hardly a clear winner. :hmm:

20. TT2

TT2 New Member

Yes that's right, there is only a 20$ difference b/w them right now but what was the price of GTX260 and GTX280 when they were released ?

Its a defensive measure and perhaps a very hard decision for Nvidia to reduce the prices of their high end cards (GTX260 and GTX280) and they were forced to take this decision (thanks to ATI). :p

ATI is wise in developing their gfx cards, they choose GDDR5 to achieve high performance in 4870 while Nvidia choose GDDR3 for their new gfx cards. GDDR5 is expensive but not as expensive as developing a 512-bit or 448-bit bus for gfx cards.

1. 4870 deliver high performance through GDDR5 with a 256-bit bus.

2. GTX260 deliver high performance through a bus of 448-bit with GDDR3.

The first option is cheaper and has higher performance than normal GTX260 plus great memory overclocking potential.

Its important to mention that 4870 clearly outperforms normal GTX260 so Nvidia secretly tweaked their GTX260 and released a new card (GTX260 core 216). There is no architectural improvements in that card they just tweaked it by turning on a disabled core and now its just a card closer to GTX280, nothing special (Now that is a defensive measure indeed). So who is the clear winner now ? :hmm:

You should read this article by AnandTech

AnandTech: The Radeon HD 4850 & 4870: AMD Wins at $199 and $299

If you are not interested in reading full article then make sure you read the last page, it has pretty interesting facts about the price as well as performance of 4850 and 4870.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008