Getting Ready to Upgrade My PC System...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

My current setup is going on 5 years since my last upgrade.

So, I'm starting to get in the mood to do an upgrade...probably after the first of the year and once I get my taxes filed.

I did some "window shopping" this evening at Micro Center and could get a mobo, cpu, and DDR4 Ram for a total of $650....give or take a few bucks. This does not include a new case or GPU. My R9 390, although a bit "old" now, will likely tide me over until at least summertime.

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would love to give some advice, but I have mostly given up on following hardware releases other than Apple computers.

If I was buying a new PC I would go for the most silent (non liquid cooling) system I could get.
    $650 sound good or bad, depending on what exactly is for that money?

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll get. :)

I'm kind of in the mood to upgrade too, but it all still works so well. My CPU, MoBo and RAM are a year younger than yours, but I doubt that it makes a huge difference. The only thing I might change is the GPU, but that's under the condition that I start gaming again. I glanced at the classifieds and saw an RX 570 8GB with one more year left on the warranty for 145€, which looks mighty tempting.

4. Dyre Straits

What does that price convert to USD?

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Currently the best suggestion i can give right now for cost effect likely resilient machine is to snap up a Ryzen 2600 (non x), an AsRock B450 Pro4, 2x8gb DDR4 G.Skill 3200mhz CL16 memory kit.

All that together along with a Samsung 970 250gb m.2 EVO drive and a 400watt EVGA psu and Coolermaster CM500 series case plus a new copy of win 10 x64 was around $900CAD, which is around $685 USD currently.

The 390 is still a good runner, but it's definitely starting to show it's age. The RX 570 is pretty well in line with it. You should be able to get a decent coin for the gpu though if you were to sell it. Recently some people have been buying up the Sapphire Pulse Vega card like crazy, the game pack, gpu and the overall fact that it's the best Vega gpu you can get your hands on thermally/power/performance wise helps.

6. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

This is what I am currently looking at:

https://secure.newegg.ca/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=26411954

I have an H80i which will work, and I have two Samsung 840 Pro's... The only other thing I would get is a GPU, but I am waiting for Navi (or Vega if prices ever drop). I'm sure you could shave some money off by not going with such a big MB and a lesser CPU... But for a ~$1,000 CDN this would be a nice little upgrade. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is my current rig still does everything I want it to with ease and I think I may just ride this horse until she drops dead.

Current rig is:
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.0
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 7-10-8-27

QB

7. IvanV

It's $165. :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  8. Judas

While the 2700x is a phenomenal price and performance compared to the ridiculously over priced 9700 and 9900 intel cpus... while performing basically on par, specially after the spectre and meltdown patches (which it seems plenty of reviewers seem to be either not applying intentionally or unintentionally with some leeway, this is specially true with so many testing WITHOUT HPET enabled which seems asinine.

For any general bang for buck builds it's hard to justify, this is specially the case when it's still being suggested that the Ryzen 3000 series is quite possibly only 4 months away and may see chips in the 4/6/8/10/12 and potentially 16 core configuration due to the fact that AMD is able to produce a current epyc 2 (zen 2) chip and have already demonstrated that they can produce a 16 core chip as large if not smaller than the current zen 1 and zen 1+ chip and since epyc is the groundwork for all other cpus be it threadripper and the desktop ryzen, it's not hard to consider it a legitimate possibility. It would be grand to see a 6 core chip as cheap as the current 4 core 4 thread chips available. AMD's making good bank.

I will say though that if games are the intention, it would be wise to heavily consider at LEAST an x470 board currently otherwise wait for the x570 board. As the X series boards provide full PB. and XFR which allows for some pretty hefty clocks that tend to beat out some of the heavily tweaked manual overclocks most people are likely to do. AMD's automatic overclocking is pretty damn badass imo, and with a zen 2 product on the way, should slip into existing boards without a hitch while providing full xfr/pb support for it as well.

9. Dyre Straits

A little off topic but, I believe my CMOS battery has died. For a few days now, anytime I go to shutdown or restart the PC, I get the "Your PC has encountered a problem...." bluescreen. Then, when it goes to restart, I have to go into BIOS and re-select the proper boot drive to get back into Windows.

10. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

A quick and easy test of this is to turn off internet time... If the battery is dead the time will not be correct if the computer has been off over night... At least this used to be a good test, I haven't come across this problem in a long long time.

@Judas... I totally agree, and my "build" above is just what I would do If this beast dies... Or I win the lottery :p

QB

11. Judas

this may inspire one to consider holding off until january 8th to find out more or at least get more confirmation.

Attached Files:

12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

https://wccftech.com/amd-rx-3080-30...gtx-1070-gtx-1060-challengers-at-249-199-129/

This is what I have been waiting for since my R9 270X "died" and I brought it back to life by baking it in the oven, which is still chomping away at madVR with aggressive settings pushing it to the limit every time I watch TV/Movies. But I know it could fail again at any time.

Here is also the leaked CPU article... both good reads

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-specs-prices-leaked-upto-16-cores-5-1ghz-on-am4/

QB

13. IvanV

If the info turns out to be true, Ryzen 5 seems like a good price to overkill ratio. (Maybe it's just me, but 8C/16T does seem like overkill.)

14. Judas

8 core and 16 thread is quickly diminishing as "overkill". Today many games even without any other tasks running in the background are completely swamping a 4 core 4 thread and even 4 core 8 thread cpu, this is specially true in the nvidia users camp since the gpus are HEAVILY prone to doing a lot of extra work across all available cores and heavily hitting the primary core/thread with oodles of extra work since they don't do that stuff on gpu. Call it multi-threaded driver, but this is why nvidia's tend to perform well on intel hardware due to the single core performance being higher.

Either way, games are only starting to leverage proper multi-threaded workloads. This is only going to explode hopefully now that physx is far more open source and nvidia's taken the thread restrictions off since they no longer even support physx gpu acceleration really at all much. With sufficient cpu threads they can start providing expensive and intensive physix and with amd bringing up the bottom end of the market significantly, specially if a 6 core 12 thread option is had for as low as suggested, this means we might actually see proper physics synced in multiplayer even (something that no one wanted to remotely implement because most didn't have the cpu/gpu to handle the extra workload and it was damn expensive to sync up).

If amd can make 12 and 16 core relatively affordable and push up the limits considerably, if you build it, they will develope for it (provided intel doesn't hold it all back).

Honestly though, if AMD can manage 50% market share in the cpu division without intel resorting to paying off companies to prevent it's products from becoming either shared or dominant in the entire marketplace, developers hopefully will take notice and build to take advantage of all that glorious power.

Shit we've already seen a physical product with 16x 64 core epyc cpus on a single U1 server rack layer, that's 1024 cores, that's 2048 threads , that just over 2 years ago held at most 4 sockets on average with a peak core count of roughly 96 on a good day.

15. Trusteft

Many games? I would love to know at least some of these many games which swamp the 4 core 8 thread CPUs out there.

16. Judas

the 2 newest tomb raiders tend to peg the 4 core 8 threads at close to if not 99% in numerous scenarios. There's been a number of reviewers that have been running through a bunch of relatively modern games since essentially the ryzen 2000 series launched and one of the common things being seen is straight up 4 core 4 thread being the bottleneck in plenty, and 4 core 8 thread barely scratching by with ryzen's 6 core 12 thread having a rather obvious advantage in the minimums due to the extra resources. Add in any additional background programs and it's more obvious.

17. Trusteft

Ah, AMD CPUs, ok, nvm.

18. Judas

No i'm talking about intel's i5 and i7 4 core 4 thread and 4 core 8 thread cpus... Granted the ryzen cpus also struggle in much the same tasks with similar core/thread counts.

19. Trusteft

I don't have the two latest Tomb Raider games to test them, I find it hard to believe, but ok.

20. Judas

not sure why it would be hard to believe... i know that geothermal in tomb raider is one of the worst places to venture into, and i know witcher 3 a lot of people tend to run into a 4 core bottleneck real quick with frame times falling apart. It's the minimums that generally show it and one reason that the ryzen cpus with 6 core or 8 cores were showing such good minimums and good frame times compared to intel counterparts at the time. Hell even when they did that blind testing where people found the intel system performed well but had noticable stuttering... meanwhile they found that the ryzen system performed perfectly through and through, no hitches or snaggs at all.