Getting Ready to Upgrade My PC System...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You are the first person I know to ever claim that a modern 4 core 8 thread CPU becomes the bottleneck (to paraphrase) running a game. That's why.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You don't get out much or don't read/watch/delve into much hardware reviews and application of scientific method for objective evidence showing that these products are already failing to keep up, do you?

the 6 core 12 thread cpus aren't being recommended for future use now.. they are being recommended because currently they are operating without any bottleneck for the most part in most games with generally a recommendation for 8 core 16 thread in the even they do anything more extensive, for the future or, specially multi-tasking while gaming.

However with the changes for physics incoming and specially CPU assisted ray tracing in the works too (as there's a few discussion ongoing in which it makes some sense), the explosion of additional cpu cores will entice developer to try and take advantage of all those additional resources, specially with the minimum core counts finally breaking away from 2 core 2 thread for uber budget builds. IF amd can/does actually release a bottom level ryzen cpu that is 6 core 6 thread or 6 core 12 thread for as cheap as suggested (i have doubts), then this can easily bring up the minimum spec option considerably which leaves devs a very good lowest common denominator to work with far surpassing the prior. It's expected that the athlon name will be slapped on the 4 core 8 thread and 4 core 4 thread cpus.

In either case, intel's in a boatload of trouble currently, and more so if amd launches 12 and 16 core cpus for standard desktops, and i'm REALLY excited to see how this plays out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:10 PM
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If.

(and also when, 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, much difference)

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Is this a result of a Windows Update....OR???

For the past week or more, when I bring my PC up from sleep, the desktop icons are no longer restricted to my main screen. Instead, 4 rows are there, but anything more is pushed to the left side of the 3RD screen. I have to select them all and move them back to the main screen...where they belong. I've reverted to an earlier Radeon driver version....with no remedy from the drivers.

5. Judas

i've no idea what it's doing... but i've none of those issues.

6. Dyre Straits

I've read several reports online of the problem....but, so far, no sure remedy other than selecting them all and moving them back to the main screen.

7. Dyre Straits

A development on the "icons on 3rd screen" issue: If I put the cursor on the main screen and do a Refresh, the icons return. This was NOT happening a few sessions ago.

8. Judas

make sure auto arrange isn't enabled?

9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Client of mine was having a similar issue with 3-way RX 480 setup. I suggested trying a program like Stardocks' Fences. You don't need to even buy the full version as the old free 1.01 version should work (just remember to install it as an Administrator), or you could even go with something similar like Nimi, or Tago. The idea was that your icons will always be in the "fence" you place them in, and on what screen you place the fence on. Or at least that was the idea. Seems to have worked for the guy.