GH Review: Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 29, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Some games start out slow and only grab your interest after you invest considerable time. Then there are games that make you think “Nice, I think I’m going to enjoy this” right off the bat. Then, there are even more impressive games that blow up in your face the moment you insert the disk into the console – games that have that special something to pull you in before you even start playing. And then there is Mass Effect, a game whose introduction can be put right next to classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey. But is a strong introduction all this game has going for it, or did Bioware prove themselves as master of RPG making yet again?

2. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Aside from the tecnical issues this is one if not the best rpg i have ever played and i don't even like rpgs.

3. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

yeah I agree, great title. nice review there too Mr Knows.

4. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

Nice review, but I really don't understand the complaining about texture pop-in. It's either that, or low res textures everywhere. Or you could do away with the texture streaming and keep the same high res textures, but you'll run out of RAM and that'd cause major performance problems.

5. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Good review and looks like a great game. Does anyone know if it's going to come to pc as well?

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can't find it anywhere around here. I ordered it from Athens and now they tell me they are waiting new stock.

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well I think its a reviewers job just to mention everything they feel is relevant to the product they are reviewing. I don't think it coloured the final review figures and it came highly recommended. I beat the game and enjoyed it myself however I did notice the texture popin on a regular basis and I found myself focusing on it and it tended to slightly ruin the flow of certain cut scenes. Not sure how they would get around it however as you say.......

8. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

It might come to pc down the road since it was published by MS game studios, same as Gears of War, halo etc. I hope it does, since it's one game i think everyone should play.

9. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

just bought it today. :)

looking forward to it. the last similar game like this which i liked was FF7

10. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

This is really one of the few games I wish I had an Xbox 360 to play. Nice review.

11. interspaced

interspaced New Member

Good review, pleased that you addressed all the problems as well as the merits. I certainly agree they should offer the use of the hard drive if present option like several ps3 games do.

12. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Sounds like a good game. I'll be waiting for it to appear on the PC.

IMO a good review should mention all the ups and downs, so mentioning the texture popups was the thing to do. Frankly, having seen the video, I don't think the lipsync looks that great. It still doesn't look anything near real.

13. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Amen to that except the lip synching, since i've never really seen it being played ;)
    But getting mass effect on pc, *droool* :taste:

14. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

Does this game have achievements or use Live in any other way? I ask because if its released or the PC then most likely MS will continue its push for Live on the PC and I'm having a horrible experience with it. I would love to see Bioware release this game through Steam like they did with Jade Empire.

15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You are talking about at least a year away though if that.
    If you have a xbox 360 you might as well get the game now.

16. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

Took me a while to decide to reply, but here it goes:
    Yes, I agree - streaming textures (and the resulting pop in) are better than low res textures all over the place or major performance problems.
    The thing is, due to the complexity of the levels (or rather, how broken up they are) the game often has all three - low res textures for up to 10 seconds, major hitching due to the game accessing stuff and moving it around and obviously the streaming itself. Now, I realise this is somewhat of an Unreal engine issue, but since GoW (and UT3) have this problem on a significantly less noticable scale, I'm thinking Bioware could optimize it just a bit more as well.