GPU2 and ATI card running hot

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by Tril, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I've been running the console client (so cpu only) for a long time.

I just got a new video card. It's an ATI Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB of memory (GV-R485MC-1GH). It's the model with a big heatsink but no fan. I decided to give a try to the GPU2 client as I thought that it might be faster than the console client.

After running for 5 minutes, I went into the Calatyst Control Center to take a look at the reported temperature and it read 108°C. I stopped the client and after a few minutes, the temperature was down to around 70°C.

That seems way too hot. It seems like a bad design if the heatsink of the card can't cope with running the card at full power.

So, how hot is too hot? I might run the GPU2 client but lower its speed to bring down the max temperature. I would not want my new card to die too fast.

I'll also try some games and take a look at the max temperature caused by those games.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I think 108C is too hot for sure ... is there any way you can attach a thin fan too it?

(Like the Accelero turbo fan kit)

3. Tril

That's what I think I'll do. I should have one somewhere in my stuff. I'll figure out a way to attach it. There's not enough airflow over the heatsink of the card. It's a bit silly to get a passive videocard and add a fan but if that's what I need, I'll do it.

I did some tests with the folding client. I set it at different % and waited until the temp stabilized.

GPU load 29%
    GPU temp 82°C

GPU load 34%
    GPU temp 84°C

GPU load 44%
    GPU temp 89°C

GPU load 54%
    GPU temp 96°C

I stopped here. I definitely need more airflow.

EDIT : I fixed my problem by adding a 80 mm fan I had in stock. The temperatures are fine now. The only issue is that it's more noisy. I'd like to eventually replace the fan with a more quiet model. Here's a few stats :

GPU load 54%
    GPU temp 59°C

GPU load 74%
    GPU temp 66°C

GPU load 97%
    GPU temp 73°C

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

That looks better and actually I think the concept of adding a passive heatsink to an HD4850 1G rather dumb anyway considering the platform and the heat this card creates :confused:

You probably picked this up because you like quiet like me .. I hate noisy fans :x

I did mention the Accelero turbo kit because they are thin, quiet and very efficient ...

Canada Computers - Cooling > VGA Cooling : Turbo Module Cooling Fan (Addon for S1 or S2 VGA Cooler).

This might have been a better topic for the hardware section but Tril just happy you are heading in the right direction Bro :cool:

5. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

years ago i got the Gigabyte geforce 6800 the fanless version ill never ever buy them again.. i had the card for 6 months then it was over heating bad i could only play for 5 mins then bam that was it...

6. Tril

I had a 8600 GT fanless with a big heatsink before this card and it always worked fine. I guess the heatsink design was good and it did not output as much heat as my current card.

I've got to say that the GPU2 client really stresses the video card and the cpu and it makes a lot of points fast. If I set it at maximum speed, the video card activity is around 90-97% and the double core cpu is at 70% of usage. It makes between 1500 and 4000 points per day. Before, when I only ran the console client on the cpu, it was set at 25% of cpu usage and I only made about 40 points per day.

I'm still folding under the name [DH]Tril for team ATI Technologies.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I have the same type of card. The "multi core" cooler by Gigabyte is pretty good but to operate well fanless it needs a case with pretty high airflow of either negative or positive pressure so that some air flows through the cards finned vents in the back. Or a case with a side fan blowing towards the card area. That doesn't always fit with the goal of having a low noise system though.

The easiest solution is to put some fan on it like you did. Just a little bit of airflow is enough so it doesn't have to be noisy. I literally hanged a 70mm fan from the side of the card from the edge of the heatsink, which is practical because it doesn't get in the way of other cards. Running at 5V I didn't think it would be enough since it blows very little air, but the difference proved to be as much as roughly 30C and I'm now overclocking the card a bit without problems.

[​IMG]

8. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

I would avoid passive cooling solutions if the case itself isn't properly ventilated. Accelero is great if you like it quiet :)

9. JJ Matt

JJ Matt New Member

Staff Edit: Removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  10. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Please don't bring up old threads.

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Thanks, And thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.