Grand Niece: HP Notebook: Audio Service ... not running

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

And, try as I might, I cannot get the bugger to start!

I've removed drivers, devices, followed HP troubleshooting suggestions...all to no avail.

The main reason, however, that I even have this laptop here is due to the RAM going bad in the system. It wouldn't get into Windows but for a few seconds before it would BSOD and restart. The new RAM has fixed that problem.

One other puzzle: The WIFI icon shows No Connection...yet, I'm clearly connected to the Internet and getting updated drivers, etc.

Any hint as to what is causing the Audio Service to not start? I've plugged in my headphones both with the USB plug as well as the normal audio jack....still no sound and it refuses to start.

BTW, it is Windows 10 64-bit.

EDIT: I'm currently in the process of simply resetting Windows. Fingers crossed!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Try and check sounds in control panel and see if the playback device is correct.

Sometimes on my PC my sound disappears because the playback device switches over to my Nvidia card.

I've also had the playback device switch on previous machines.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If all fails, if the model supports it, try an upgraded Windows version, 8.1 or 7. See if that works so that you know if it is an OS problem or not.
    (even though that's another topic altogether)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hit the Windows key + R, and type in Control to bring up the classic control panel. From there, go into Administrative Tools, then Services. Scroll down until you hit Windows Audio. It should be running. If it is, open it up, stop it, then start it. If it's not, start it, making sure that it's set to Automatic.

If this works it could be that something is disabled elsewhere, and is affecting this item, such as a disable GPU audio device in Device Manager. This is something I would double check, btw: check for anything disabled in Device Manager, and re-enable them.

5. Dyre Straits

Thanks!
    Actually, the Windows Audio option was completely absent when I did this previously.

I did go ahead with a Windows Reset on the laptop. That has remedied the audio situation. However, getting a stable/consistent connection to the Internet is now the problem.
    I can actually access certain web pages, e.g. Microsoft News...but, when attempting to do a Windows Update, it fails due to not having a connection to the Internet. I've tried both Wireless and Wired. I used a cable from my PS4...which I KNOW connects properly to the network and Internet. But, even that fails to connect properly.
    One item I'm not pleased to find on this system is the McAfee LiveSafe app. Since the laptop is used by a 10 year old, I suspect that there may be some Parental Settings/Administrative limitations involved. The Windows Troubleshooter keeps suggesting a Network Reset...which, when applied, reboots the system....and it's back to base 1 again.

When I DO get it connected to the router, it shows "No Internet, secured".

Further, she signs in on the machine with a PIN...not a Microsoft Account.

EDIT/UPDATE:

I'm presently uninstalling the McAfee app that came auto-included with the HP laptop. There were nearly 200 instances of it blocking access to our AT&T router/modem connection.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

LOL, that laptop came bundled with a denial of service attack of its own. :D

I'm glad that you were able to find the cause of the issue. I hope you won't have to resort to official John McAfee advice on how to remove McAfee security software:

Calliers, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

ROFL!! That made my f**king week.

8. Dyre Straits

I'm so glad to have McAfee off this laptop!

But, even so, the wifi and wired adapter were not automatically collecting the IP and DNS addresses. I had to go into the AT&T Router, collect the correct addresses and manually enter them into the laptop's settings.

It now does have Internet connection!

EDIT: Jumped the gun! Although the Internet became accessible...for the first time...and Windows Updates started to commence, this little laptop refused to stay connected!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Bummer! Have you tried wired since you sorted out Windows and McAfee?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I'm guessing he has, you know it could just be that the NIC needs replacing. The NIC in my old HP laptop only accepts wired now, it doesn't do wireless anymore.

11. Dyre Straits

Yes, it's on wired at this moment...has been for about 20 hours. Although the Windows Updates are now showing there is no indication that it's not connected to the Internet...as it was showing before. However, 20 hours later there's also no indication that ANY of the updates have downloaded at all. Everything shows "Pending download".

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

As I mentioned before, trying a different OS would help to figure out if it is an OS problem or hardware problem.
    At the very least try a "live CD" of linux.

13. Dyre Straits

This situation has now been resolved. For how long? Who knows!?

But, as somewhat of a last resort, I did an Offline Windows Update. It went through the entire process of installing a new Windows 10 instance.

Once I got back to the Desktop, there it was!!! Network/Internet access!

My niece and her dad will have to work out their own user accounts and how they want to set those up. But, the laptop is now fully updated as of this very second.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    IvanV and Mr Cairo like this.