GTA IV PC Discussion!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by OmegaRED, Dec 1, 2008.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

We waited and waited and now it's almost upon us :drool:

Eurogamer.net has the first online review of the PC version.

Highlights

On the graphics and framerate...

On the multiplayer...

I'm so glad I snagged a 260GTX in time for this game :lol:

comp_ali likes this.
  2. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

It's about time! :)

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Some engine quirkiness is only natural to this series. ;) I hope they've worked a little more on the controls this time, but I'm sure it'll be a great experience either way. The new method for evading law enforcement will probably have me owned big-time a couple of times in the beginning.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I much prefer this new system to the old of trying to locate the garage that will make them stop hunting you. At least it gives me hope that the police will not be the annoyingly appearing from everywhere due to magic, of the previous games.

5. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Haha lol
    That happened to me a lot.
    I am looking forward to this game on the PC its going to be grate.

comp_ali likes this.
  6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

mmm Uses DRM securom
    R* says game experience will differ in the cracked versions

Grand Theft Auto 4 PC Uses SecuROM DRM, Rockstar Addresses Common Complaints - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

Congrats on the 260gtx dude ; )

7. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I've heard that before, Codemasters tried it with Operation Flashpoint, it turned into an epic catfight between Codies and hackers and I think Op Fap went through 20 patches because of this system (FADE it was called) being the victim of the hacking community.

Rockstar, this wont work, unless if you want a massive fight with the hacking community that is.

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

The game is out already I am looking for reviews , some people complain about the frame rates even running on a high-end rig.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

So far the complaints I've seen were from people running 8800GT/GTX's or those with dual gpus (which aren't any use without driver support for the game), I hope there's no issues with the 260/280 cards as they have more memory and should be able to handle the huge textures in this game.

Here's a snip from the IGN.com review

There should be a few more reviews and possibly some benchmarks in the next few days. HardOCP for sure will test this game on the latest cards and drivers so we can see what kind of performance to expect.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. Rudick

Rudick New Member

What about HD4850, will it able to put acceptable frame rate @ 1360x768 res? How's the support for XBOX 360 controller?

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Awesome! I'm betting that even bottlenecked by an Opteron and 2gigs of ram the 260GTX will pick up the slack and allow me to run high settings at 1280x960. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I might be screwed lol

from steam forums

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

what resolution do you game at and the guy in the quote panel, what was he trying to run (the res)?

From what im hearing it is quite CPU intensive but ive only ran it on skulltrail with 8 cores at 4.5ghz so its hard to tell. hopefully ill get some time shortly to give it a go on a few other systems in our offices.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I saw the game sitting on the bench at work, i think i'll have to pick it up, once I do I'll let you know how it runs on a quad xeon and 8800GT (Vista Home Premium only uses one CPU)

15. Trusteft

I am glad I wasn't allowed by steam to buy it. The game looks a mess, crappy port in terms of performance and many many bugs, including several that don't allow you to start the game.
    If you want to have some fun, check the steam forum of gta.

16. Trusteft

It looks like the gods were on my side on this one and I didn't spend the money on this game. I have no reason to believe that all the posts there are ...wrong. It feels like a beta game from what I read.
    Good thing I am not a reviewer. I would slaughter the grade for such a release.
    Pity.

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I "borrowed" a copy of GTA IV to see how it would run and I'm pretty disappointed; regardless of the settings used I got an average of 15fps driving around and 50-60 indoors. I tried high/high and then medium/medium and messed around with a bunch of the other settings it didn't affect the framerate. There is some kind of problem with the texture memory in this game as there was no discernible difference between 400mb and 800mb used.

My system is a classic case of bottlenecking gone wild, with an AMD dual core and 2 gig of ram beating back a heavily overclocked 260 GTX but bare in mind I am able to play Crysis, FarCry2 and Stalker: Clear Sky all in DX10 with high settings and framerates twice that of GTA IV. That's just not right :tears:

Despite my crushed enthusiasm I liked what I saw and given the likelihood of patches from Rockstar and Nvidia/AMD there's bound to be some performance improvements. If not, then hopefully future computer upgrades will make it playable. Rockstar definitely buggled the PC port of GTAIV and at this moment it's not worth the money, however, in time this will become the definitive version of GTAIV and we already know from the console version how good the story and multiplayer are so I have no problems purchasing this game in the next few days. It will be money well spent even if it's not playable for a 6 weeks or even 6 more months...I do feel bad for the people who believed the system requirements and expected to be able to play GTAIV today but found it to be otherwise :uhoh:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

19. Trusteft

Rockstar is not known to release patches, you know that, right?

20. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

No offense man but its just as well you aren't a reviewer because I don't think ive ever seen you say you like a game, its either DRM, bugs, performance or something else!

I bought GTA4 based on the Gamingheaven review and while im not getting huge framerates with my video card I played it on my friends system and he has a quad core at 3.2ghz with a 260 gtx (216core) and it was more than playable at a decent resolution.

Im enjoying it greatly right now.