Guess what arrived (surprise surprise the winnings) AMD DRAGON Kit

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

well i didn't technically take it out of the bag..... i could tell there was something in it that was obviously thermal paste.

Just to make sure i went over and opened it up and pulled it appart.... and yup...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Wow thats a generous amount!

3. Judas

yeah it's pretty good amount for just a single heatsink... course i guess considering that there is a chance that you may be using the heatsink on newer boards and not just tossing it away..... it might make sense to give em a bit more ;)

of course... considering the retail price i paid for this bugger.... $180 Average, although i'm not using it myself, they better give enough to last awhile

4. lepel

lepel New Member

They gave the thermal paste in a little plastic bag instead of a in syringe/tube? Weird.

5. YnHDaRkMaN

YnHDaRkMaN Image of the invisible...

wow, just wow
    this just proves how much DH rocks!
    winning that monst... errr, i meant, Dragon by just guessing what was Zardon's "little toy"...
    wonder when i'll win something here (i've entered some contests before) lol
    congrats, looking forward to see even more pics and read about that Dragon's power! xD

6. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

You judas that V10 looks absolutely monstrous :)

7. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

you would think such a big cooler would do the job right.. You just made me very curious for the review!

And judas, nice to keep us updated with the process :)

8. Judas

well today i plan to finish putting in temporary parts and see if i can get the sucker to sing for me..

i'm having a hard time tracking down a coolermaster cosmos 1000 Sidepanel with a window in it cause it looks like i may not be able to use the stock one without putting preasure of the v10

9. Judas

Ok go the GamerXstream OCZ 600watt in the rig temporarly as well as a 320gb Seagate 7200.11, 4gb OCZ DDR2 PC6400. And all fired up great, went into the bios and took a shot of the temperature hardware monitor after about 10 minutes of letting it sit there.

Then i went and got the latest Bios from asus, 1202 (board came with 804 i beleive) and then loaded defaults and reset and went back into the bios to the hardware monitor..... let it sit there for about an hour.... and the temperature change on the cpu from the abient temperature of 21*C went from 22*C after 5-10 minutes initially with first bios, to 24*C after sitting there for a good hour roughly and holding with newest bios.

Going to go eat, and come back this after noon to get windows loaded and see what else i can mess around with. I think my first day i'm going to try and keep things stock and make sure things are performing right.

Hey veridian, Does your V10 look like it's sagging of the motherboard a wee bit... i mean i would suspect so... but every once in awhile when looking at the case, from a direct front to back view, it just throws me off lol.

heres the shots so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Make sure that board is very tightly screwed in...

11. Judas

i have a habit of overtightening the mounting screws.......

i was concerned about the mounting of the cooler though... i made it snug.... i desiged it was time to stop when the board started to appear to get a curve in it in the same fashion as when i've mounted other heatsinks that use the stock mounting.

12. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

nice looking beast Judas :)

13. Judas

i think i might have a problem..

working on it..... not sure what's up but doesn't appear to be cpu/motherboard related....

we'll see in the next 30 minutes (i decided to stick around and not eat anything after i ran into this initial issue....)

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That thing is huge.

15. Judas

i've never seen a cpu sit this cool even under relative load.... (doing alot of cpu works the suckers hitting a high of 27*C atm... with a motherboard temp of 29*C)

aside from the occasions of using very abnormal abient temperatures (in the vault, outside in the winter)

still checking something.... i'm hoping the video card isn't being problematic...

16. Judas

ok i'm getting BSODs everytime the ATI drivers for the video card try and load.... 9.4s, microsoft default driver, 9.3's....

gonna swap the hd3870 i've got here in and see

17. Judas

erg...

hd3870 working fine...

I had a hunch when i was doing a fresh install of windows 7077..... the moment the ATI drivers provided by microsoft caused the system to BSOD and made it unrecoverable to return to the installation without BSOD emediately....

So i installed windows vista x64 sp1 clean...

get through all the stuff, update the os, install the chipset drivers (which really doesn't appear to be anything at all, just some achi drivers and that's it for chipset drivers being loaded.. (which i had done at the start of the installation)

Install 9.4's, BSOD, reboot, BSOD, reboot in safemode, reboot again in low resolution mode, both adapters are "Fail to start because there is a reported problem with the device"

remove, rinse and repeat and BSOD with 9.3's...

Microsoft doesn't provide a driver in vista, but they do in win7.... so that's 3 different drivers that it's failing on.

Any ideas?.... i'm gonna try some other drivers...

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Sounds like a problem with the card.........

19. Judas

well it's no longer BSOD.. but it's not even trying anymore i guess.

"Windows cannot load the Device Driver for this hardware. The Driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)"

20. Judas

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

this looks like a bad video card......

this is quite unfortunate...

if it seems i'm getting anywhere, i'll see a windows cursor for about 2 seconds and then the screen will lose signal...

this screams faulty videocard