Guess what arrived (surprise surprise the winnings) AMD DRAGON Kit

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Bummer Man!

Isn't that the second one? Thought one of the other guys got a bad card too.....

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ahah.. luck.... but not so great.

it appears the primary GPU is faulty.. (i'm guessing) as anything 3D or anything that tries to load the driver for it fails... BSODs..

I was able to disable the primary adapter and enable the 2nd one... which will allow me to load Aero vista interface and run some 3d tests....

but if i enable the primary, screen emediately goes black, locks up the system, force restart or if i wait it'll auto restart, and then vista will report there being a BSOD and i'm back to square one again

still fidling (i'm back on the 9.4's)

3. Judas

Yeah... nicnik did i think.. he's using his 4870 (single) atm while other arrangements were being made to replace the 4870x2

edit:

Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer BSOD

dammit and i thought i was making progress..

Installing 3870 again

4. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

bro that really sucks, hope you get it sorted soon :(

5. Judas

i'm pretty damn confident that it's nothing i'm doing wrong because the hd3870 installs no problems at all without having to do any work at all really... smooth as silk...

erg

6. Judas

let AMD Overdrive auto clock the sucker... sitting at 3150mhz atm.... the temperatures extended Load Temperature sits at 38.5*C and hasn't moved an inch for all 4 cores

so it appears about 24*C idle, 30*C under typical loads, and 38*C under maxed out loads

7. Judas

it's up to 3.5ghz :D

it hit 3.6ghz with a memory speed of 412 at which point the machine rebooted.

the final temperature was 40.2*C on each core.

sucker still feels cool to the touch though...

I'm pretty confident that it's my memory holding me back.. this OCZ ram here http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_fatal1ty_edition_dual_channel

i've since set the multiplier @ 18x with default vcore and whatnot... see if i get the same issue again

(i'm quite liking the advanced mode of this utility though)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. Judas

i really hate software programs.. i don't know what to trust.... overdrive says CPU temp is 40*C and idle is 28-32*C... meanwhile Motherboard Bios (if i load test the sucker to high heavy and then emediately reboot and into the bios) states load temp is around 30*C with an idle temp of 24*C

Considering how cool the air is coming from the heatsinks (and they feel cool to the touch) i'm willing to bet the motherboard results are far closer, cause i don't think a motherboard temp in the overdrive program reading out 3-5*C higher then the cpu temp seems accurate with only the CPU's Multiplier being increased...

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

You could always mode the TEC so it is on 24/7. Otherwise it doesn't kick in to something like 60˚C. With mine w/ the TEC on 24/7 temps are 7-8˚C cooler.

10. Judas

thing is... the mod occasionally results in the TEC failing/frying.... and personally i'm not into going to crazy.... just having a V10 is crazy enough... course i guess i could have hunted down a V12

i'm also finding USB performance is pretty poor..

my freeagent pro drive is pulling no more then 28MB/s and is causing the system to feel like it's "sluggish"... but maybe that's just me using vista again cause Win7 was a snap..

i'm going to go ahead and wipe the drive and install windows 7 7077.....

11. Judas

win7 installed great..

before i did so though.. i tried testing at 3.6/3.7/3.8

it would post @ 3.8 and 3.9 and even 4ghz.. however it emediately BSOD if i tried to load windows... i even tried posting at 4.1ghz (only changing the multiplier) and it POSTED..... that's quite remarkable imo...1.1ghz overclock and it still posted..

anyways, 3.7 would quickly crash out and oventially bsod... 3.6 was just well... not stable...... 3.5 is solid as a rock using stock voltages and the works...

i'll get to tweaking later.. but from my understanding.. the cpu's with increased vcore usually don't improve things much....

we'll see....

i'd rather let it burn in..

ANYWAYS, compared to the Intel i7 920's i had played with much earlier... i scored a smidge better with the 940 amd setup @ 3.5ghz via win7's assessment, just a hair better lol... without even installing drivers or rebooting since it's first installed win7..

[​IMG]

12. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

13. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

You have the exact same problems I had with the 4870x2 I got replaced. >.<

14. lepel

lepel New Member

My 4870x2 had to be replaced to some time ago. It had issues with the memory. :/

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

judas, craig is going to refer you to the rep handling this to work out a replacement graphics card.

16. Judas

Thank you, No rush, i mean it was free so i'm not complaining...

Any time i have, i'm going to try the hd4870x2 and get it working. I've got another NEW machine here just being built and i'll throw it in and see.

17. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

Gratz, Judas on your new toys. Hope ya get a working card soon.

18. Reedy

Reedy Administrator Staff Member

:w00t: As always a little late to the party but I thought I would get my hands dirty and join in the overclocking fun. I have one of the kits also and looking forward to seeing what we can get out of these puppies. Hope you get the card sorted Judas.

19. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Partyboy :p

What is the batchnumber of these 940's?

20. Judas

i never thought to check the numbers on the chips.. and i'm not sure if the orginal digital photo's i've got will allow me to read the print on the cpu well enough to tell.

In a bit.. i plan on cranking up the voltage on the cpu and then maxing out the fsb as well as the multiplier.... would be nice to get 4.2 stable